OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
If Derrick Henry gets arrested tonight, it's because he murdered Josh Norman
he has the best stiff arm ive ever seen. why defensive backs stay high at any point with him is what they get.

norman tried to get in his face the next play. we know how much of a prick he is. i think his ego was hurt.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
RIP Joe Morgan

I saw #8, Joe Morgan, play a number of times at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati. Joe was on the Reds from 1972 to 1979, winning 2 World Series in his MVP years.

When I was in college, I made it to 3 of 4 Opening Days. Damn that Organic Chemistry Lab on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons!

One of the Opening Days had an inch of snow. That was either 1980 or 1981. I had to wear my winter coat, but the Reds scored 4 or 5 runs off of Vida Blue.

For you youngsters, the baseball season didn't always start on a Sunday night. The Reds used to be the only home team for the MLB opener. Then they would have an off day on and the rest of the MLB teams would play.

Reactions: PredsV82

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If Derrick Henry gets arrested tonight, it's because he murdered Josh Norman

As we used to say in college, "I smite thee!".

That was a Calvin Hill Dallas Cowboys type stiff arm. He was really good at it and one of the last players to use it at Cleveland around 1980.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If Tampa wins the Cup and the WS and the Bucs have Brady... I'm not even gonna watch football because them winning the Super Bowl would be more than I could stand..

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Some Bills fans are funny.
Titans didn't have 16 days to prepare for your team, they didn't have illegal practices prepping for the Bills game. Let me help with the timeline. 9/27 Titans beat the Vikings, 9/28 they start prepping for the Steelers. 9/29 facility closes due to COVID. 9/30 a group of 15 players went to MBA to for a short practice, NFL informed the Titans this is not allowed and was against protocol. 10/1 - NFL announces the Pittsburgh game was being postponed to possible Monday or Tuesday. 10/2 Titans game is moved to week 7. Titans still cannot practice. So no, the Titans didn't have 16 days to prep for Buffalo, and no the 15 players at MBA weren't prepping for Buffalo. 10/13 Titans take Bills behind woodshed.

Also, no we didn't get healthier because of COVID (say that out loud). Titans went into the game with their top 2 leading wide receivers out (Davis and Humphries), their top cover corner coming into the season (Jackson) and their top defensive lineman (Simmons) all out. Tanny and Brown had their way with Bills defense all night, they better be glad Davis and Humphries were out, it would have been, ug...., wait, nevermind....

I love it when the "hillbillies'' take it to tough talking New Yorkers.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
OK, when MLB does expand to Nashville, Montreal will probably get a team too.

But rather than keeping the current alignment largely intact, I came up with a realignment proposal based on baseball history that is actually a modified version of someone else's proposal on here.

MLB's now-32 teams would be aligned into four, eight-team leagues.

The AL and NL would consist primarily of teams in markets that had MLB at some point between 1901 and 1957 (during which MLB was confined to the Northeast and Midwest), with each league having the exact same cities from 1957 represented in their new lineups (with one exception), as follows:

AL: Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Sox, Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, NY Yankees, Washington (moves from NL)
NL: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, Miami, Milwaukee, NY Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis

The Marlins, who played in the class AAA International League in 1957, would take the place of the second NL team in NYC. Current rules prohibit a third team from being established in the city.

The remaining 16 teams in markets that first gained MLB after 1957 would be divided into two new leagues based on the locations of the teams.

The 8 Eastern/Central Time teams in post-1957 MLB markets outside Miami would form the Continental League. with the teams being Atlanta, Houston, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Texas and Toronto. It is named after the proposed third major league of the mid-20th century. Five of the proposed league's markets would be represented. There would plans to eventually add a CL team in Buffalo, the last CL city still without MLB.

The 8 teams in the Mountain/Pacific Time Zones - Arizona, Colorado, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle - would form the Pacific Coast League, usurping the name of the AAA league that had major league dreams in the 1950s. Six of the teams in the major league PCL are the spiritual successors to teams that were part of the AAA league at its height in the 1950s (the Dodgers being the successor to the Hollywood Stars, the Angels and Padres named after former PCL teams, and Oakland, San Francisco, and Seattle also having teams). MLB would commit to adding future PCL teams in Portland and Sacramento, even if not at the same time.

So with this alignment, the Nashville MLB team would have quite a bit of regional rivals. They could probably even have Atlanta as their biggest rival.

Reactions: triggrman

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
If Montreal comes back, I'd like them in an AL East setup with Toronto/Buffalo.

Buffalo is in my long term plan for 40 teams. It would share Continental League membership with Montreal and Toronto. Furthermore, the AL, CL, and NL would each divide into 2 divisions (East/West) upon expanding to 10 teams (the Pacific Coast League, which would only play half the amount of interleague games as the ET/CT teams for reasons of travel, would not). Buffalo, Montreal, and Toronto would all be together in the CL East Division.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Furthermore, I think MLB should require new stadiums to have a roof of some sort, with retractable roofs preferred as it would allow games to be played outdoors when the weather is nice.

Existing open-air stadiums would be grandfathered under the rule. The idea is to one day eliminate rainouts at the major league level.

So, if Nashville gets a team, its stadium should have a retractable roof.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Furthermore, I think MLB should require new stadiums to have a roof of some sort, with retractable roofs preferred as it would allow games to be played outdoors when the weather is nice.

Existing open-air stadiums would be grandfathered under the rule. The idea is to one day eliminate rainouts at the major league level.

" I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. " - C. Davis

No lights, natural turf ... go classic.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

" I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. " - C. Davis

No lights, natural turf ... go classic.

You guys do know that Miller Park (AKA American Family Field) has a retractable roof and natural grass? It opened in 2001, a year late after the crane accident.

The rest of the planet is 20 years behind Milwaukee. Don't tell the New York Times!

From Wikipedia:
Since the 1990s, the Mets were looking to replace Shea Stadium. It had originally been built as a multi-purpose stadium in 1964. While it had been retrofitted as a baseball-only stadium after the NFL's New York Jets left for Giants Stadium after the 1983 season, it was still not optimal for baseball, with seating located farther away from the playing field compared to other major league ballparks. The team unveiled a preliminary model of the ballpark in 1998; it featured a retractable roof and a movable grass field, which would have allowed it to host events including conventions and college basketball.

From me: That of course is not how $900M Citi Field was built. The new stadium opened in 2009, followed by renovations in 2010 (the bullpens ran the wrong way) and 2012 (to lower and move the outfield walls closer). Call it Shea Stadium II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad