OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I grew up a Reds fan back in the day when they were in the West and the Dodgers were their biggest rival so I am all about the Dodgers losing too!

Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I grew up a Reds fan back in the day when they were in the West and the Dodgers were their biggest rival so I am all about the Dodgers losing too!

I used to go to Riverfront Stadium to put a stop to the Reds winning streaks. They would win 7 or 8 in a row and then I showed up.

I saw Bob Gibson pitch at Crosley Field. The game lasted less than 2 hours. I think that the Cardinals won 2-1 or 3-2. It was 85 F or so that day. My older brother drove us to Cincinnati with his friend and his younger brother. Both of us kids ate a bunch of hot dogs.

I need to go back and visit the "new" baseball stadium, which isn't that new anymore.

Reactions: PredsV82

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Speaking of baseball, I think if MLB expands into Tennessee, it will be into Memphis. This would give the state a team in each of the four major sports leagues, with Memphis and Nashville having two teams each (a perfect balance). Tennessee major pro sports teams tend to be supported by the entire state. Memphis could then have the Sounds as their AAA affiliate.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Speaking of baseball, I think if MLB expands into Tennessee, it will be into Memphis. This would give the state a team in each of the four major sports leagues, with Memphis and Nashville having two teams each (a perfect balance). Tennessee major pro sports teams tend to be supported by the entire state. Memphis could then have the Sounds as their AAA affiliate.
zero chance MLB would choose memphis over nashville.

zero chance.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Yeah. MLB would find the NMA or Knoxville more appealing than Memphis. Tennessee should seriously consider granting Memphis to Arkansas. Arkansas would see it as a yoooge step up for them.
Ha! It's a win win.

Honestly, I have no personal problems with Memphis (or Arkansas) but that's still funny. I kind of forget Memphis is part of Tennessee anyway, til they show it on the Tennessee tourism ads.

I think MLB in Nashville is premature. Let's let MLS get established for a decade or so THEN entertain the idea of bringing in another pro sport. Even then, we need at least one minor league sport for those who want or need their entertainment at a lower price point due to family size, other obligations, etc. We got into the soccer and Sounds games last year for anywhere from $10 - $25 each and the concessions and parking were reasonable. NHL season tickets and the things that go along with that eat up most of my disposable income. I can't justify spending $100+ on a NFL/MLS ticket, etc. 3-5 times a year in addition to that, but I can justify $45-$50.

Reactions: bdub24

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
And in news that makes me not want to chop Florida off and let it drift away on the Gulf Stream...
Tom Brady caught at AND KICKED OUT OF a public park which was closed for COVID19. Way to go Tampa! No privilege for the NE deity! Good on ya!

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I've made to joke of diverting the Detroit and Niagara Rivers to give Detroit and Buffalo to Canada

I am not a lawyer, but I don't think that a boundary moves if the river does. Illinois and Missouri each have land on the "wrong" side of the Mississippi River.

From Wikipedia for the geography of Illinois.

Nearly the entire western boundary of Illinois is the Mississippi River, except for a few areas where the river has changed course.

I am originally from Ohio. There was something called the Toledo War in 1835-36. I asked my older brother if Ohio lost?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
And in news that makes me not want to chop Florida off and let it drift away on the Gulf Stream...
Tom Brady caught at AND KICKED OUT OF a public park which was closed for COVID19. Way to go Tampa! No privilege for the NE deity! Good on ya!

If the Atlantic Ocean comes up 3 or 4 feet, a good portion of Florida will be like Atlantis.

My MIL is protected by a railroad line since the road bed is about 2 or 3 feet high and acts like a dam when there is a hurricane.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I am not a lawyer, but I don't think that a boundary moves if the river does. Illinois and Missouri each have land on the "wrong" side of the Mississippi River.

From Wikipedia for the geography of Illinois.

Nearly the entire western boundary of Illinois is the Mississippi River, except for a few areas where the river has changed course.

I am originally from Ohio. There was something called the Toledo War in 1835-36. I asked my older brother if Ohio lost?

Obviously they lost. They had to keep Cleveland.

Reactions: adsfan

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I am no fan of Tom Brady but as a golfer I loved seeing him hole out from the fairway and tell Charles Barkley to S T F U.

And then seeing him split his pants was icing on the cake....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad