Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Johnny Majors died. oy
I saw him once in Knoxville (off the field, anyway). I think I was a senior. It was gameday and my parents were in town so they took me somewhere for either breakfast or lunch. He was a table or two over from us. Was kind of surprised to see him -- I guess I didn't think coaches ate anywhere but UT--ha! I always felt bad about how the university treated him after his heart attack. I get it, Fulmer was winning, but Majors was the key to getting all those good players. RIP

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Pretty much spot on. Not sure why they are going to do the 8 “regular season” games.
Pretty much spot on. Not sure why they are going to do the 8 “regular season” games.

basketball is less demanding. If hockey didn’t have all the contact and stick work, there might be one more game a week. More games = more $ for owners and players.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
basketball is less demanding. If hockey didn’t have all the contact and stick work, there might be one more game a week. More games = more $ for owners and players.

Money is always the answer. But it’s all weird to me. As a Grizzlies fan I am glad they gave some halfway attempt to credit for how the season was when it was paused although this still screams “Get Zion in the playoffs”

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Money is always the answer. But it’s all weird to me. As a Grizzlies fan I am glad they gave some halfway attempt to credit for how the season was when it was paused although this still screams “Get Zion in the playoffs”

They better not give Zion ROY over Ja since Zion has only played 19 games to Ja playing 59.

And of course if Zion and the Pelicans make the playoffs it's likely at Memphis expense.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
They better not give Zion ROY over Ja since Zion has only played 19 games to Ja playing 59.

Yup. He had a great run in those 19 games but you cannot overlook what Ja has done all season. The pessimist in me says the hiatus may make that happen.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
How is 8 “regular season” games significantly different from 5 “play-in” games?

How do you make the 8 games a fair spread? Who plays whom? That's why I like the NHL format. Unless I misunderstand NBA has 9 teams playing for 8 spots in one conference and 13 teams playing for 8 spots in the other. That's a huge disparity and youd think all but about 3 teams in the east will coast thought the 8 games

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I do surveys for fun money in my spare time, usually political or buying behavior stuff, but this morning I did one for MLB. It asked about if I'd watch next year if MLB cancels this full season, if i'd watch without fans in the stands, if i'd watch if ads had to be increased to make up for gate revenue, if and how much i'd pay to watch per game if they had to be offered individually, who I would blame for a cancelled season and a couple of other questions.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I went out with a friend yesterday afternoon (yes, to a BAR/Restaurant, it was marvy) and they had the TVs on. There was an old Packers game, corn hole competition, preparations for a horse race (never saw stands nor actual race), and auto racing in front of empty stands. We couldn't hear what was going on on any of them but decided the races must be live.

While I will go to a bar again to enjoy food/drink, going to one to watch "sports" is pretty much out til they get a better lineup. Course, we weren't there to watch sports, we were visiting and they could have had a western showing, wouldn't have cared.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I've never really been into the MLS but I do think this World Cup style tournament will be pretty fun especially since Nashville has a team now.

Reactions: PredsV82

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I went out with a friend yesterday afternoon (yes, to a BAR/Restaurant, it was marvy) and they had the TVs on. There was an old Packers game, corn hole competition, preparations for a horse race (never saw stands nor actual race), and auto racing in front of empty stands. We couldn't hear what was going on on any of them but decided the races must be live.

While I will go to a bar again to enjoy food/drink, going to one to watch "sports" is pretty much out til they get a better lineup. Course, we weren't there to watch sports, we were visiting and they could have had a western showing, wouldn't have cared.

Sounds like a slice of heaven to me!

My wife says that the horse race was the Preakness, which should have been in mid April. It figures that she would know about that. She told me that the first piece of music she could recognize was the post call!

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

My wife says that the horse race was the Preakness, which should have been in mid April. It figures that she would know about that. She told me that the first piece of music she could recognize was the post call!
Pretty sure it was the Belmont Stakes, the Preakness isn't until October.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

I remember I really liked Big Bad John--was probably 3. And Bridge over the River Kwai, because my father got me that (one) record for my new record player. Ha!

I'm just not much on watching old games. I've watched a few out of sheer boredom--and to be sure knowing you will win the game shown is nice (because why watch one you lose, right?)

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This is a confusing year, but thanks! I am not really into horse racing. I did go to the 1986 Kentucky Derby and won $0 dollars. It was my wife's idea.
Everyone should go to the Derby at least once. I've been twice, would have been 1980 and 1982, Genuine Risk and Gato del Sol were the winners.

I'm not much of a better, but I came so close to putting (I think? Whatever the minimum was) $2 on GdS just because he had some major odds against him but I didn't. Sigh. Just read it was 21-1 odds.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This is a confusing year, but thanks! I am not really into horse racing. I did go to the 1986 Kentucky Derby and won $0 dollars. It was my wife's idea.
Only reason I pay attention is my father in law owns Thoroughbreds. I was standing next to the owners box when American Pharoah won the Preakness. Had to dodge Bob Baffert and Kenny Mayne when getting out of my parking space lol.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Everyone should go to the Derby at least once. I've been twice, would have been 1980 and 1982, Genuine Risk and Gato del Sol were the winners.

I'm not much of a better, but I came so close to putting (I think? Whatever the minimum was) $2 on GdS just because he had some major odds against him but I didn't. Sigh. Just read it was 21-1 odds.

I bet a horse to show and to win, so I had 4 chances to earn money. My horse came in fourth. The very few times I have bet on horses, I can't remember winning anything. I swore it off several years ago.

I remembered the winning horse, Spend-A-Buck. It was 1985, not 1986. It was the first year that the infield price went from $10 to $20. I looked up the name and found the souvenir Mint Julep glass that my wife purchased. She took one sip, handed the glass to me and said "drink this". She is from upstate New York and didn't know it was straight Bourbon on ice with a sprig of mint. Me being from SW Ohio, I knew better. I also wore a floppy hat under that sun!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad