OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I bet a horse to show and to win, so I had 4 chances to earn money. My horse came in fourth. The very few times I have bet on horses, I can't remember winning anything. I swore it off several years ago.

I remembered the winning horse, Spend-A-Buck. It was 1985, not 1986. It was the first year that the infield price went from $10 to $20. I looked up the name and found the souvenir Mint Julep glass that my wife purchased. She took one sip, handed the glass to me and said "drink this". She is from upstate New York and didn't know it was straight Bourbon on ice with a sprig of mint. Me being from SW Ohio, I knew better. I also wore a floppy hat under that sun!
We JUST missed each other again.

When I went it was normal to bring tailgate party fare to the Derby. You'd lug in your coolers, and you could even have a small grill. So we brought hotdogs and hamburgers. All condiments were still in glass jars and we'd brought them new rather than putting into something plastic. Unfortunately, if you brought something in its original glass jar for a picnic in the infield, it was thrown away as you went through the gate "because of the possibility of injury due to broken glass" Made sense. So what was the first thing for sale when you went in? Mint juleps in souvenir glassware.

The first sip I had of a mint julep, I thought what is this hideous thing? Second sip...eh, it's kind of refreshing. Third sip = mmmm, minty! Next thing you know you've downed 5 of them and you're not even halfway through the afternoon races. They grow on you.

Reactions: PredsV82

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So the MLS return to play tourney is supposed to start tomorrow with Nashville SC playing Chicago in one of the first games, but Nashville currently has 8 positive cases. Yesterday, Dallas withdrew from the tournament with ten positive cases. Not a great start for them but hopefully will provide an example for how not to implement the bubble idea.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So the MLS return to play tourney is supposed to start tomorrow with Nashville SC playing Chicago in one of the first games, but Nashville currently has 8 positive cases. Yesterday, Dallas withdrew from the tournament with ten positive cases. Not a great start for them but hopefully will provide an example for how not to implement the bubble idea.
I still suspect that most of these reopenings end up not making it to the end, NHL included.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

A lot of players have individually opted out as well. I would not be surprised if the whole thing is scraped

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I wonder if the NHL will change some if its plans after all of this. I think once the teams get to Canada and get set up infection risk is low but with training camps being in their hometowns it seems likely this will happen to some NHL teams too. Bummer that Nashville is out even though they probably wouldn't have made it out of the group because I would've enjoyed watching them. Guess I'll have to pick a team to bandwagon. Atlanta maybe?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder if the NHL will change some if its plans after all of this. I think once the teams get to Canada and get set up infection risk is low but with training camps being in their hometowns it seems likely this will happen to some NHL teams too. Bummer that Nashville is out even though they probably wouldn't have made it out of the group because I would've enjoyed watching them. Guess I'll have to pick a team to bandwagon. Atlanta maybe?
Honestly, as a team owner I'd hold my training camp in a some isolated bubble-like environment, right from the beginning. Ideally within the bubble city already, or nearby. Canada has a lot of rinks. See if you can rent out the one in Red Deer, say, and open your training camp there.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I get why they did it but sometimes it does make you scratch your head and laugh. Canadian government doesn't want them traveling back and forth but you'll bring 20+ NHL teams to Edmonton and Toronto lol.

Bringing every team in and them not leaving is much different from 32 teams traveling in and out.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Dunno I heard a good question raised today about whether thus bubble style is actually worse. The idea being that some NBA guys have already been busted sneaking out, so is it really safer having everyone right there together if that continues to happen?

Think there is some valid reasoning there.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm a Red Sox fan and myself and every other fan I know definitely wanted to keep Mookie and are pissed at the ownership for cheaping out and not re-signing him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Not a baseball fan anymore so no real dog in the hunt, but I don't really blame an ownership group for not being willing to hand a guy a 13 year guaranteed contract. Seems like a good way to end up with a player going through the motions about year 5 or 6.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Not a baseball fan anymore so no real dog in the hunt, but I don't really blame an ownership group for not being willing to hand a guy a 13 year guaranteed contract. Seems like a good way to end up with a player going through the motions about year 5 or 6.
Not Mookie, though.
He went to my elementary school! Tusculum kids would never do that.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
and the Blue Jays have no home....Toronto, NO! Pittsburgh, NO! Looking at Baltimore.

Can they change the name to the COVID Nomads?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I went to Tusculum 1-3rd
I went from 3rd to 6th--was the really old building still there when you were? That was the 6th grade building when I was there--built in 1911! Doubtful any of your teachers were mine, but I just saw the other day that my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Hazelwood, passed. Was 95!

@Armourboy As long as Mookie is that particular one, my statement holds true. I've been hearing about him since he was playing Little League--ha! (Good bowler, too!)

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Where the hell do MLB teams get this kind of money?? That's over a third of a BILLION dollars... for one player!!!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Where the hell do MLB teams get this kind of money?? That's over a third of a BILLION dollars... for one player!!!

Magic Johnson and his conglomerate...also it's about $35 million a year, invest the rest, hell, put it in short term bonds and sell then when it comes to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad