OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
so then what was the point of her rant about hockey players?

It was in the context of the backlash to Don Cherry's firing and how hockey is tied up in the national identity. But I'm glad we've got you past the part where you think she was generalizing about all hockey players. Progress!

hockey players doing good things in the community is B.S? huh?

No, your claim that hockey players are not acknowledged for the good they do is b.s. Hell, you can't say anything remotely bad about hockey players in this country without being buried by an outrage mob.

when did she say this?

She didn't. I did in order to illustrate how silly it is to ask why someone speaking from their own experience isn't also speaking about things outside that experience.

There are dickheads in all sports at all levels from all backgrounds and all races. If we're talking about high-level hockey in Canada, though, those dickheads are more likely to be rich, white and male because the demographics of high-level hockey in Canada are overwhelmingly rich, white and male.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It was in the context of the backlash to Don Cherry's firing and how hockey is tied up in the national identity. But I'm glad we've got you past the part where you think she was generalizing about all hockey players. Progress!

she did generalize though ;)

No, your claim that hockey players are not acknowledged for the good they do is b.s. Hell, you can't say anything remotely bad about hockey players in this country without being buried by an outrage mob.
I'm not talking about just about NHLers...I'm talking about minor players as well
Chevrolet Good Deeds Cup | Chevrolet Canada

She didn't. I did in order to illustrate how silly it is to ask why someone speaking from their own experience isn't also speaking about things outside that experience.

There are ********s in all sports at all levels from all backgrounds and all races. If we're talking about high-level hockey in Canada, though, those ********s are more likely to be rich, white and male because the demographics of high-level hockey in Canada are overwhelmingly rich, white and male.
bigot! racist! my hyper-sensitive senses are tingling! ;)

my point is she...just like Don Cherry...can't be on television and talk about hockey players in terms of race, income, bullies, then preach about what they should or shouldn't do with their money...and not expect to be called out on it
she knew she goofed and apologized

(for the record, Don Cherry went too far and I supported his firing)

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
she did generalize though ;)

Still not sure how one can generalize when talking about specific people, but whatever.

I'm not talking about just about NHLers...I'm talking about minor players as well
Chevrolet Good Deeds Cup | Chevrolet Canada

So your proof that minor hockey players don't get recognized for good deeds is....a link to a major corporate recognition program for minor hockey players? :huh:

bigot! racist! my hyper-sensitive senses are tingling! ;)

my point is she...just like Don Cherry...can't be on television and talk about hockey players in terms of race, income, bullies, then preach about what they should or shouldn't do with their money...and not expect to be called out on it

So what you're saying is we can't talk about any of the issues of diversity, bullying or hazing or affordability in hockey without facing a backlash? Man, this political correctness is out of control.

she knew she goofed and apologized

Yeah because a whole crapload of people operating in bad faith who were mad about Cherry getting fired were trying to get her canceled to own the libs.

I think her point was to show that hockey is a real sacred cow in this country and the ginned-up outrage over her remarks just proved her right.

Reactions: Pochiro

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
She never talked about specific people though. You keep saying that but her quote is in my experience and then she goes on to generalize.

If cherry had said in my experience and then did his you people rant it would be OK because it's his experiences?

Maybe I'm missing the logic here but her quote seemed like a lot of generalities.

If I go in my experience and then say a certain race is good at math or bad at driving it's OK because it's my experiences?

Reactions: harpoon

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Here is the quote if anyone is curious

"Maybe it’s because of where I grew up, and going to a couple different universities. In my mind, in my experience, who does. They all tended to be white boys, who weren’t very nice, they weren’t very thoughtful they were often bullies, their parents were able to afford to spend $5000 a year on minor hockey. You could do other things than spend time in an arena, you could go on a trip and learn about the world. See other things. The world is a big place, maybe get outside of that bubble.”

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
She never talked about specific people though. You keep saying that but her quote is in my experience and then she goes on to generalize.

She's talking about the guys she knew growing up and in university. How is that not clear?

If cherry had said in my experience and then did his you people rant it would be OK because it's his experiences?

If I go in my experience and then say a certain race is good at math or bad at driving it's OK because it's my experiences?

No, because you're still making a broad generalization about a group!

There's no comparison between:

"In my experience, Asians are good at math." and "In my experience, the hockey players I have known were rich white boys who weren't very nice."

Now if you were to say "My friend Sam, who is Asian, is good at math." you'd be nudging up against some pernicious stereotypes, but you could at least argue you were talking about an actual specific person and not talking about a group as a whole.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
@Little Fury , take a step off that little pedestal your on man.

lol. Just watch the video from the 15 second mark to the 50 second mark. I'm white, grew up in a hockey family who's Military Father put us through hockey schools and both me and my brother played for years. Along with all our friends. Our "rich" parents struggled to pay the bills but still managed to keep their "white boys" playing. Ya sorry. That women should be canned. She just basically shit all over generations of Canadian kids, families, volunteers, and businesses that provided a place for us to play a game we all loved. It's bigoted, offensive, and points the finger directly at white families and their kids. I'm not sure where all these rich white boys were when I was playing hockey. We were was a bunch of bored Army brats with parents who kept us out of trouble and taught us how to socialize and play in a team environment. Spin this how you like, but this is MY f***ing experience. She pointed her finger directly at me, my family, and every other family who has put their white boyz through hockey.

Last edited:

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
do you people know what anecdotal evidence is? just because you were white and not rich and played hockey in canada doesn't mean that no rich, white people play hockey in canada.

Reactions: Little Fury

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
do you people know what anecdotal evidence is? just because you were white and not rich and played hockey in canada doesn't mean that no rich, white people play hockey in canada.

Try again. Just because you're fair skinned and come from another country doesn't mean you aren't an immigrant to Canada as well. Anecdotal evidence my ass.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
@Little Fury , take a step off that little pedestal your on man.

lol. Just watch the video from the 15 second mark to the 50 second mark. I'm white, grew up in a hockey family who's Military Father put us through hockey schools and both me and my brother played for years. Along with all our friends. Our "rich" parents struggled to pay the bills but still managed to keep their "white boys" playing. Ya sorry. That women should be canned. She just basically **** all over generations of Canadian kids, families, volunteers, and businesses that provided a place for us to play a game we all loved. It's bigoted, offensive, and points the finger directly at white families and their kids. I'm not sure where all these rich white boys were when I was playing hockey. We were was a bunch of bored Army brats with parents who kept us out of trouble and taught us how to socialize and play in a team environment. Spin this how you like, but this is MY ****ing experience. She pointed her finger directly at me, my family, and every other family who has put their white boyz through hockey.

I've already explained this at length and if you choose to be offended by something not directed at you, that's your choice and not my problem. That said, if your point is to stick up for hockey culture, your timing could be a lot better.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I've already explained this at length and if you choose to be offended by something not directed at you, that's your choice and not my problem. That said, if your point is to stick up for hockey culture, your timing could be a lot better.
Nope, I'm not sticking up for hockey culture. Or ANY culture that will presume to pinpoint a specific generalized group of people.

No, because you're still making a broad generalization about a group!

This is what I was saying about the woman who decided to spout off about White boys who play hockey.

"In my mind...in my experience they all tended to be White boys... " is the direct quote from her. So I guess I can ask which is it for her? In her mind or her experience. I'm not offended by what you or anyone else said here and I'll offer an apology to you because I have read many of your posts and you make a solid argument regarding this. But in the end, in my experience in this thread, I find that there are a number of people looking take racial issues out of context and attempting to apply them to others. I was simply reversing the role. It isn't very pleasant, is it? So I apologize to you, and only you, for calling you out specifically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Little Fury

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad