OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Anyone know the best way to get an auto from the away team? Looking to get my Makar jersey signed on Thursday. Are practices open at Roger's place? Or just camp out at the hotel a few hours before the game?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Anyone know the best way to get an auto from the away team? Looking to get my Makar jersey signed on Thursday. Are practices open at Roger's place? Or just camp out at the hotel a few hours before the game?

Are you looking for a sedan, coupe, SUV, etc etc?

Might be tough.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
So it seems a lot of people upset about cancel culture and Don Cherry getting canned aren't particularly strong in their convictions:

Days after Don Cherry was fired over controversial comments he said on-air, there are calls for another Canadian TV personality to be fired. Jess Allen's hockey comments caused some backlash but she's clapping back at haters. And she's not holding back.
During the live broadcast of The Social on November 12, the four hosts talked about Cherry's "you people" comment and the resulting backlash for nine minutes.
Jess Allen, one of the hosts, made comments resulting in calls for her to be fired from the show.

Outrage mobs: not just a left-wing thing.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Outrage mobs: not just a left-wing thing.
That cow specifically selected a certain race when making her comments. Worse than what Cherry said by a country mile. Her pitiful justifications on twitter only make it worse. She needs to be fired without a doubt. Good for the gander, good for the goose.

Reactions: ujju2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Just a heads and a reminder for everyone here to make sure your vehicle doors are locked and if you have a garage door opener, take it out of your vehicle.

The one f***ing night I got distracted bringing shit in the house and forgot to lock my truck after, I got hit. The :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ers didn't get much out of my truck except for a sentimental item as I leave it empty but my garage door opener was in there. They CLEANED my detached garage out. 95% of my tools, chargers and batteries for drills...tool box, socket sets are all gone.

I'm not the most mechanically or constructionally gifted guy so my tools weren't the most high end but it's the principal. f***ing scumbag losers.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That cow specifically selected a certain race when making her comments. Worse than what Cherry said by a country mile. Her pitiful justifications on twitter only make it worse. She needs to be fired without a doubt. Good for the gander, good for the goose.

Absolute nonsense. She was talking about her personal experiences, not casting aspersions on an entire group of people. As for firing her, if you think firing Cherry was wrong, but you want her fired, you're a hypocrite.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Just a heads and a reminder for everyone here to make sure your vehicle doors are locked and if you have a garage door opener, take it out of your vehicle.

The one ****ing night I got distracted bringing **** in the house and forgot to lock my truck after, I got hit. The ********ers didn't get much out of my truck except for a sentimental item as I leave it empty but my garage door opener was in there. They CLEANED my detached garage out. 95% of my tools, chargers and batteries for drills...tool box, socket sets are all gone.

I'm not the most mechanically or constructionally gifted guy so my tools weren't the most high end but it's the principal. ****ing ******* losers.
Happened to my car and garage. Vivant is good. 4k cameras. starts recording when any motion is detected outside and you get an instant alert. you can alsp speak through the camera.

Reactions: McFuhryous

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Did your system aid in catching the culprits at all?
I reacted to these events. Never had it before lol. Nobody will dare come up to my drive way or my door now. Both record and the camera illuminates so people know it is there. I can capture conversations across the street when it starts motion recording lol. My doorbell sensor even catches when a person walks in and out of my neighbors front door.

It's nice. Remote lock.unlock front door and open/close garage door remotely. Alerts you if you leave either open for more than 10 minutes.

Flood protection in the basement sensor. Control your whole thermostat from the app.

I love it. Peace of mind. It costs me less than $100/month. It can be as little as $40. Depends how many things you install. I have no problem with it. I know a lot of friends and family that use it as well.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I reacted to these events. Never had it before lol. Nobody will dare come up to my drive way or my door now. Both record and the camera illuminates so people know it is there. I can capture conversations across the street when it starts motion recording lol. My doorbell sensor even catches when a person walks in and out of my neighbors front door.

It's nice. Remote lock.unlock front door and open/close garage door remotely. Alerts you if you leave either open for more than 10 minutes.

Flood protection in the basement sensor. Control your whole thermostat from the app.

I love it. Peace of mind. It costs me less than $100/month. It can be as little as $40. Depends how many things you install. I have no problem with it. I know a lot of friends and family that use it as well.

I have a Vivint system myself and have had it for five years. I do like it however my doorbell cam is on the fritz though, hardly picks anything up anymore (including the jabrony who burglarized me) and doesn't sound as well anymore when the button is pushed. I just noticed this starting to happen too a few days before I got hit. That coupled with the street lamp burning out which bordered our property with the neighbors, it was just a perfect storm. As you said, the motion sensor had wicked range on it before and would pick people up walking down the sidewalk. I don't have the full camera system, thermostat or my garage protected due to finances but I may have to reconsider. If anything I'll get a cheap little motion detector which sends an audible alert to a receiver and invest in a few more motion lights. I hung an extra Vivint sign on my back gate to keep the riff-raff out which seemingly worked well until the other night. Expensive lesson learned on my behalf...but I have no one to blame but myself. One simple side distraction set the whole chain of events in motion. If anything, this guy didn't steal from my kids, he left their brand new bikes and my daughter's brand new scooter alone.

I love the Vivint app as well. Very handy little app.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Absolute nonsense. She was talking about her personal experiences, not casting aspersions on an entire group of people. As for firing her, if you think firing Cherry was wrong, but you want her fired, you're a hypocrite.
Her 'personal experiences'. What a laugh. Why am I not surprised that you are prepared to give her that out. She not only 'cast aspersions' on 'white boys', she went ahead and painted anyone who 'worships at the altar of hockey' with the same brush - labeling and offending a massive swath of Canadians in the process. Worse by far than Cherry's comments, made doubly so because she knew what she was going to say that day and spoke with planning and forethought.

She needs to be fired not because she is a racist but because the precedent was set only days before with the firing of Cherry. If it were up to me neither would be fired and people would learn to handle conversations about hard realities without melting down completely. However if we are going to run our society according to snowflake standards then they need to be applied across the board for all offending parties. So right back at you - if you called for Cherry's head and then days later defended this sad excuse for a human being then the hypocrite hat is on your head.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I have a Vivint system myself and have had it for five years. I do like it however my doorbell cam is on the fritz though, hardly picks anything up anymore (including the jabrony who burglarized me) and doesn't sound as well anymore when the button is pushed. I just noticed this starting to happen too a few days before I got hit. That coupled with the street lamp burning out which bordered our property with the neighbors, it was just a perfect storm. As you said, the motion sensor had wicked range on it before and would pick people up walking down the sidewalk. I don't have the full camera system, thermostat or my garage protected due to finances but I may have to reconsider. If anything I'll get a cheap little motion detector which sends an audible alert to a receiver and invest in a few more motion lights. I hung an extra Vivint sign on my back gate to keep the riff-raff out which seemingly worked well until the other night. Expensive lesson learned on my behalf...but I have no one to blame but myself. One simple side distraction set the whole chain of events in motion. If anything, this guy didn't steal from my kids, he left their brand new bikes and my daughter's brand new scooter alone.

I love the Vivint app as well. Very handy little app.
I live in Summerside and that area and adjacent areas have been getting hit hard with petty theft and some serious crimes when you see the EPS crime map. Nobody should leave their garage door openers in their vehicles. That is what most of these guys try to get. And people always remember to lock your garage door inside if you have it attached. So many bad people out there.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Her 'personal experiences'. What a laugh

She literally prefaced her comments with "in my experience" but do go off.

he not only 'cast aspersions' on 'white boys', she went ahead and painted anyone who 'worships at the altar of hockey' with the same brush - labeling and offending a massive swath of Canadians in the process. Worse by far than Cherry's comments, made doubly so because she knew what she was going to say that day and spoke with planning and forethought.

Only someone desperate to be offended and with a terminal case of white fragility could interpret her comments as being about a massive swath of Canadians and not about the individuals she had experience growing up with. And for what it's worth her experiences are far from unusual. Plenty of people have similar ones. Finally, it's a demonstrable fact that hockey is overwhelmingly white and overwhelmingly male, so I'm not sure why the phrase "white boys" is causing you to get the vapors.

She needs to be fired not because she is a racist but because the precedent was set only days before with the firing of Cherry. If it were up to me neither would be fired and people would learn to handle conversations about hard realities without melting down completely. However if we are going to run our society according to snowflake standards then they need to be applied across the board for all offending parties.

Yeah because there's no difference between talking broadly about immigrants and talking specifically about one's personal experiences. Evergreen.

So right back at you - if you called for Cherry's head and then days later defended this sad excuse for a human being then the hypocrite hat is on your head.

3g8q78.jpg

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
Yes, Don Cherry's mistake was to not preface his comments with "in my experience".

Got any more sweet internet argument memes?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yes, Don Cherry's mistake was to not preface his comments with "in my experience".

Got any more sweet internet argument memes?

Don Cherry's mistake was not retiring 15-20 years ago before it was clear he lost his capacity to understand the game of hockey.

And yeah, precise use of language is a great way to avoid people misinterpreting what you say.

Any other questions?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Don Cherry's mistake was not retiring 15-20 years ago before it was clear he lost his capacity to understand the game of hockey.
why would he retire? he was wildly popular and he triggers people...for better or for worse

And yeah, precise use of language is a great way to avoid people misinterpreting what you say.

Any other questions?
there was no "misinterpretation" on that lady's comments...she made generalizing comments about a sport based on her admitted limited experience...right-wingers do it all the time and get fired for it (not calling for her firing, but the hypocrisy of the whole thing is embarrassing)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
why would he retire? he was wildly popular and he triggers people...for better or for worse

Ok, he should have been retired.

there was no "misinterpretation" on that lady's comments...she made generalizing comments about a sport based on her admitted limited experience...right-wingers do it all the time and get fired for it (not calling for her firing, but the hypocrisy of the whole thing is embarrassing)

No she didn't. She was commenting specifically on her experiences encountering hockey bros. Show me where she generalized.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ok, he should have been retired.
why?
he was a ratings monster

No she didn't. She was commenting specifically on her experiences encountering hockey bros. Show me where she generalized.
"there's a certain type of person, in my mind and my experience who does...and they all tended to be white boys who weren't very nice, they were not generally thoughtful, were often bullies, their parents were able to afford to spent $5000 on minor hockey"

so her experience, hockey players are
-white
-bullies
-rich
-should spend their money on trips and "learn about the world"

she had a leftist Don Cherry rant :laugh:....but that's ok because she crapped on "rich white kids"

I'd love to know her experience with basketball, football and baseball players

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
why?
he was a ratings monster

Was he? I'd lve to see the numbers.

"there's a certain type of person, in my mind and my experience who does...and they all tended to be white boys who weren't very nice, they were not generally thoughtful, were often bullies, their parents were able to afford to spent $5000 on minor hockey"

so her experience, hockey players are
-white
-bullies
-rich
-should spend their money on trips and "learn about the world"

she's had a leftist Don Cherry rant :laugh:....but that's ok because she crapped on "rich white kids"

Thanks for proving my point, which was that she was speaking from her own personal experience not making broad generalizations about hockey players. And for what it's worth, I doubt her experiences are unique. In fact, I know they aren't. There's absolutely a toxic side to hockey culture (check out ex-NHLer Dan Carcillo's Twitter) and there are absolutely problems with affordability and diversity in the game. I'm not sure how getting defensive when someone pointing out these problems exist does anyone any good.

I'd love to know her experience with basketball, football and baseball players

Why's that, exactly?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Was he? I'd lve to see the numbers.
they wouldn't keep an 85 year old on air otherwise

Thanks for proving my point, which was that she was speaking from her own personal experience not making broad generalizations about hockey players.
but she was doing exactly that....from her experience hockey players are this:
-white
-rich
-bullies
-need to learn about the world
who else is she talking about?
And for what it's worth, I doubt her experiences are unique. In fact, I know they aren't. There's absolutely a toxic side to hockey culture (check out ex-NHLer Dan Carcillo's Twitter) and there are absolutely problems with affordability and diversity in the game. I'm not sure how getting defensive when someone pointing out these problems exist does anyone any good.

of course there is, but how is it any different than the high school football team? or the elite baseball, soccer or basketball teams? it's just because hockey is the most popular sport that it gets singled out

and hockey players do a lot of good in the community as well which no one hears about

Why's that, exactly?
would she divide the people playing the sport up by race, income and whether or not they're bullies? I'd love to know

this is hypocrisy at its finest

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
but she was doing exactly that....from her experience hockey players are this:
-white
-rich
-bullies
-need to learn about the world
who else is she talking about?

The hockey players she's encountered? Do...do you not know what a generalization is?

If I know a guy named Dave and I tell you he's a real jerk, would you think I'm saying all guys named Dave are jerks?

of course there is, but how is it any different than the high school football team? or the elite baseball, soccer or basketball teams? it's just because hockey is the most popular sport that it gets singled out

Two things: 1. the "jock as jerk" trope is pretty much a universal one across different sports. 2. Hockey is being "singled out" here because this whole discussion was taking place in the context of the Don Cherry thing. It didn't just come out of nowhere.

and hockey players do a lot of good in the community as well which no one hears about

Well, this is just b.s. Hockey players are worshiped in this country.

would she divide the people playing the sport up by race, income and whether or not they're bullies? I'd love to know

"Why would she talk about the thing she has experiences with and not the things she doesn't?"

I've known white boy hockey players who were total a-holes. I don't know any Black football players who are a-holes, not because they don't exist, but because I don't know any Black football players.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The hockey players she's encountered? Do...do you not know what a generalization is?

If I know a guy named Dave and I tell you he's a real jerk, would you think I'm saying all guys named Dave are jerks?
so then what was the point of her rant about hockey players?

Well, this is just b.s. Hockey players are worshiped in this country.
hockey players doing good things in the community is B.S? huh?

"Why would she talk about the thing she has experiences with and not the things she doesn't?"

I've known white boy hockey players who were total a-holes. I don't know any Black football players who are a-holes, not because they don't exist, but because I don't know any Black football players.
when did she say this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad