OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The NDP that called the writ are a female plurality. I doubt it matters as much to them. Don't strike me as hockey fans. In anycase prevoting has been going on for a week so timing is really little excuse. Plus no Alberta contenders are in the playoffs..
Not thrilled with the rule changes for this election. Apparently there are over half a million early ballots cast that won’t start to be counted until tomorrow. If this election is even remotely close we won’t know the winner is until tomorrow at the very earliest, maybe even longer. Who thought this was a good idea?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Not thrilled with the rule changes for this election. Apparently there are over half a million early ballots cast that won’t start to be counted until tomorrow. If this election is even remotely close we won’t know the winner is until tomorrow at the very earliest, maybe even longer. Who thought this was a good idea?

You should look at the changes made at the federal level to make you wanna barf even more.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep, I'm not a fan of this. Lived my whole life here being able to see same night results. Can't imagine the broadcasters like this either. How are you going to call close results in ridings with thousands of votes uncounted?

To convenience some, we suffer the inconvenience of a much delayed election result.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wait until they lose those ballots

Reactions: oilers'72

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yep, I'm not a fan of this. Lived my whole life here being able to see same night results. Can't imagine the broadcasters like this either. How are you going to call close results in ridings with thousands of votes uncounted?

To convenience some, we suffer the inconvenience of a much delayed election result.
I’m fine with early balloting. I’ve done it a few times in my life as well. I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t be counted starting at 8 pm like all the other votes. I really don’t understand the purpose of waiting. Makes even less sense considering the high percentage of them in this election.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
CBC now reporting that approximately 750,000 advanced ballots were cast. So roughly 25% of eligible voters voted early. Usually around 60% of eligible voters vote in elections with a high turnout so this means close to half the votes won’t start being counted until tomorrow. Election coverage is going to be very different tonight, almost meaningless.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
CBC now reporting that approximately 750,000 advanced ballots were cast. So roughly 25% of eligible voters voted early. Usually around 60% of eligible voters vote in elections with a high turnout so this means close to half the votes won’t start being counted until tomorrow. Election coverage is going to be very different tonight, almost meaningless.
Really no point in even watching

Reactions: rboomercat90

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Only advance votes cast outside of people’s normal areas won’t be counted tonight. I imagine the vast majority of those 750k votes cast already will be counted tonight. It’s just people who voted at camps up north or airports etc who won’t be counted tonight.

At least that’s my understanding.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Only advance votes cast outside of people’s normal areas won’t be counted tonight. I imagine the vast majority of those 750k votes cast already will be counted tonight. It’s just people who voted at camps up north or airports etc who won’t be counted tonight.

At least that’s my understanding.
My understanding from watching CBC all morning is none of the advanced ballots will start to be counted until tomorrow morning. They say it’s likely the winner won’t be declared for a day or two. I’d hope what you’re saying is the case as it would make the most sense to do and likely what’s always been done thus never being a problem before. According to CBC, though, the rules have been changed for this election.

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My understanding from watching CBC all morning is none of the advanced ballots will start to be counted until tomorrow morning. They say it’s likely the winner won’t be declared for a day or two. I’d hope what you’re saying is the case as it would make the most sense to do and likely what’s always been done thus never being a problem before. According to CBC, though, the rules have been changed for this election.

While 223,000 people took advantage of that new “vote anywhere” option, Elections Alberta will only start counting their ballots Wednesday at noon, according to Drew Westwater, deputy chief electoral officer. The remainder of advance ballots — those cast in the riding where they will be counted — will be tallied Tuesday evening after polls close, along with those cast on election day.
High turnout expected for today's election, but results may be delayed in close races

So seems like most will be counted tonight. But still a lot not until tomorrow.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
giphy.gif

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The result wasn’t surprising. Too bad there are no actual good alternatives out there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol, I just logged on to read it too. Had my popcorn ready and everything.

it got canned within an hour of it starting up. I knew that was going to be an extinct thread. I forget who started the thread. I should have taken a print screen. Could sell it as a rare collector item here. Politics thread existed, extremely briefly, on hfoilers.. Its like a UFO siting.

Anyway Edmonton doesn't make the playoffs and loses big (again) in the Provincial election. Rest of province, and Calgary are Blue wave, we in Edmonton might have 1 member of the Govt here, and not a strong one for Caucus. We're back to having near zero representation in govt.

Other than the weather not a particularly good spring for Edmonton.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
The best part about Canadian politics is it only goes so far right. Our right is mostly left of America's left for the most part. Kenny is going to have to put his money where his mouth is.

He's going to have to prove dropping an already low tax will generate investment. Investment has been leaving since before the NDP took over. He needs to not do any royalty reviews anytime soon. They are worse than taxation as far as the oil sector is concerned. Long term consistency is needed.

He shouldn't touch the carbon tax until it is known if there is a party change federally. No point into long court battles about it at the current time.

He needs to not sacrifice significant infrastructure needs for total debt reduction, one of Klein's biggest failures imo. You just end up paying more for it later and is magnified in downturns. He needs to be able to think of the future a little more.

There are no more significant booms coming to this economy for a very long time. He's going to have to diversify the end products enough to reduce the reliance on the boom/bust cycle that isn't going to happen any more, the Heartland Polypropylene plant is a good example.

The 3 previous PC leaders before him were a waste of time. He needs to not follow their footsteps.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Making it easier for people to vote to increase citizen engagement and voter turnout is bad because they cant announce a winner at 7pm like they normally do?

700 000 people voted early in a province of 3 million. Thats 700 000 people who might not have voted if they could only do it on tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad