OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I thought Canada post would be having a mini resurgence. Snail Mail continues to slowly die but online shopping especially amazon has picked up.

The Canada post truck is in my neighborhood every day with a dozen packages

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't even know what I actually get in the mail anymore. Most things either charge you or give you a discount to go online. Other places don't even offer mail anymore.
I thought I heard some time ago that Canada Post was stopping residential home mail in favour of group mail boxes. Whether they did this or not, I have no idea because nothing of importance comes to me via snail mail anymore.
I live in a high rise building so my mail delivery hasn’t changed. What I have noticed in the last year or so is I no longer get flyers in the mail. For years, that was the overwhelming majority of my mail as most of my bills are just taken care of online. It seemed that was the bulk of what Canada Post was delivering. If they aren’t even doing that anymore I’m not sure what they’re delivering.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I thought I heard some time ago that Canada Post was stopping residential home mail in favour of group mail boxes. Whether they did this or not, I have no idea because nothing of importance comes to me via snail mail anymore.
I live in a high rise building so my mail delivery hasn’t changed. What I have noticed in the last year or so is I no longer get flyers in the mail. For years, that was the overwhelming majority of my mail as most of my bills are just taken care of online. It seemed that was the bulk of what Canada Post was delivering. If they aren’t even doing that anymore I’m not sure what they’re delivering.
Same boat.
I thought Canada post would be having a mini resurgence. Snail Mail continues to slowly die but online shopping especially amazon has picked up.

The Canada post truck is in my neighborhood every day with a dozen packages
Do they? Mine comes through intelcom all the time

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
It's unreal on the mainboards that you can get away with pretty much trashing any team but the Leafs, and those threads are closed immediately. There's a thread of Tim and Sid which is a nationally broadcasted show that gets shut down because they can't handle it.

That fan base is the most embarrassing and pathetic fan base out there in professional sports.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I just wanted to thank the guy on the main board who posted the thread asking if McDavid smoked a pack of darts a day if Matthews could catch him. I still can't stop laughing just thinking about it, that was Gritty level amazing!

Also this is random but speaking of terrifying mascots do the Oilers sell plush dolls of the legend that is Hunter? I am a huge mascot fan and collect the plush dolls and would love a Hunter doll if they actually exist. I am still amazed that Hunter has yet to eat Harvey the Hound.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I just wanted to thank the guy on the main board who posted the thread asking if McDavid smoked a pack of darts a day if Matthews could catch him. I still can't stop laughing just thinking about it, that was Gritty level amazing!

Also this is random but speaking of terrifying mascots do the Oilers sell plush dolls of the legend that is Hunter? I am a huge mascot fan and collect the plush dolls and would love a Hunter doll if they actually exist. I am still amazed that Hunter has yet to eat Harvey the Hound.
We found out last year that Craig Mactavish has been training Hunter to get Harvey. Hasn’t happened yet though. I don’t think the two are allowed in the same building.

Reactions: sabremike

Dr0k

Mar 12, 2016
Hey guys, I'll be traveling to Edmonton for my first time at the end of the month. I'll stay in a hotel in Leduc close to the airport and I was hoping to get your opinions about the best restaurants/activities to do in that area. I also want attempt to my first NHL game against Chicago on October 28th, i'm planning t0 spend around 100 bucks for a ticket and i just wanted to hear about your opinions if it could be a problem for me if i wait maybe 1 week before the game before buying the ticket and also where is the cheapest to get it from?

Thanks !

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
meta post here

can Google ads track me a little more?

every time this page does a stupid jittery ad load I end up clicking on a fashion ad

this doesn't seem to be the ideal audience

0Tb8OE2.jpg

what the hell is this?

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Man, Rogers is a scummy company.

I've been getting NHL Live free with my phone plan the last couple of years.

I changed my plan last week when I got a new phone, but I made sure the Rogers Game Plus was still included in the plan.

So I go to see if it's working today and find out they're no longer offering Game Plus with any plans. Turns out they advertised it as a feature right up until the day the season started and then it quickly disappeared off their site.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

I changed my plan last week when I got a new phone, but I made sure the Rogers Game Plus was still included in the plan.

So I go to see if it's working today and find out they're no longer offering Game Plus with any plans. Turns out they advertised it as a feature right up until the day the season started and then it quickly disappeared off their site.
Is there any telecom company that isn't trash?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I've had the plan forever and noticed they took it away. I'm phoning Rogers today to complain as I made sure they'd have that plan. Like you though I just got my plan a few months ago and I probably have no leverage over Rogers.

Still going to call though and complain.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I have been trying to decide a program to apply to for university for the past couple of days. It's pretty hard deciding.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Hi guys,

Dumb question, I'm sure someone could answer this for me.

I just bought a cable tv package, went without tv for the last 5 years (streamed everything). I purchased the full sportsnet package.

Will I get to watch the Oilers games in Ontario, that are broadcast on Sportsnet West, or will I have an out of region block-out like the TSN channels appear to do?

Thanks!

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Hi guys,

Dumb question, I'm sure someone could answer this for me.

I just bought a cable tv package, went without tv for the last 5 years (streamed everything). I purchased the full sportsnet package.

Will I get to watch the Oilers games in Ontario, that are broadcast on Sportsnet West, or will I have an out of region block-out like the TSN channels appear to do?

Thanks!
I was able to watch games of the Leafs and Habs on Sportsnet Ontario and other other channels in Edmonton so you should be fine.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anybody else experiencing huge load hangtimes on the NHL site? Its about the worst found on the internet. Its uber load oriented and thus constant wait times. If there was a leafs game on its almost freezing.

In contrast its interesting that this board, which has often had similar problems is loading fine mostly now.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Anyone got any tips on the warmest winter gloves?

I don't feel like glove makers understand this region of Edmonton. I want to be able to shovel my walks and driveway this year without having to run in half way and put my gloves by the heater because my fingers are frozen. I'm talking like warm hands to minus 40 and beyond. Burton trash unless it's -15 max.

Also for socks and/or boots. I have shitty circulation in winter.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone got any tips on the warmest winter gloves?

I don't feel like glove makers understand this region of Edmonton. I want to be able to shovel my walks and driveway this year without having to run in half way and put my gloves by the heater because my fingers are frozen. I'm talking like warm hands to minus 40 and beyond. Burton trash unless it's -15 max.

Also for socks and/or boots. I have ****ty circulation in winter.
Well for shovelling snow just grab a pair of those big leather insulated gloves from Walmart or Marks Work Warehouse.

As for a good thin glove that gives decent warmth, look at the cross country ski stores. They are the best I've found for a no bulky glove that keeps you warm.

Feet you might have to do some work. I'd go to Cabelas or Campers village and talk to someone. Usually they recommend a liner sock to wick away moisture and then a thicker sock for warmth. It may seem weird to spend 20-30 bucks on socks, but sure a lot cheaper than blowing 200-300 on boots. I'll check when I'm at home what kind socks I have. The other nice thing is because they are thicker they actually give a lot of comfort as well.

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I go to Peavy Mart for winter gear. They have a big selection and I've found their stuff is proper for the climate here.

This is like surreal. I just heard of "Peavy Mart" for the first time this AM due to an ad here about an hour ago. I didn't know such a place existed because they have zero stores in Edmonton. Never heard of them, never seen a store. Apparently they have one in Sherwood Park and Leduc and Spruce Grove. They don't list addresses even on their site. What a stupid company, how am I supposed to shop at your store when I didn't know it existed and you don't list store locations. is this place stupider than Target?

Its also virtually impossible to find anything on the web site. Just looked for gloves. Its under hunting, and then it links to "no products" lol. Who ever designed website should be fired quicker than Chia and McLellan and Nicholson.

As per the question any thinsulate glove will do provided it is the mitten type with no fingers. I never use the finger gloves for long periods outside. That's what freezes your fingers, the type of glove. I go snow shoeing in standard thinsulate water resistant mitts for hours and my hands and fingers don't even get cold. Also make sure they are long, They should cover hands, wrists, half way to your elbows.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is like surreal. I just heard of "Peavy Mart" for the first time this AM due to an add here about an hour ago. I didn't know such a place existed because they have zero stores in Edmonton. Never heard of them, never seen a store. Apparently they have one in Sherwood Park and Leduc and Spruce Grove. They don't list addresses even on their site. What a stupid company, how am I supposed to shop at your store when I didn't know it existed and you don't list store locations. is this place stupider than Target?

As per the question any thinsulate glove will do provided it is the mitten type with no fingers. I never use the finger gloves for long periods outside. That's what freezes your fingers, the type of glove. I go snow shoeing in standard thinsulate water resistant mitts for hours and my hands and fingers don't even get cold. Also make sure they are long, They should cover hands, wrists, half way to your elbows.
Come on man. 10 seconds. Show you address and a map. Maybe the store isn't the stupid one

Store Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad