OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Have you seen many ads praising the grocer, farmers, truck drivers, people working at meat packing/ food processing plants, bus drivers etc.

don’t get me wrong what the front line medical staff are doing is amazing but for example: Starbucks going out and offering free drinks to healthcare workers but ignoring their own workers is kinda wtf moment

As a city transit operator, I appreciate your post. Not that I’m jealous or anything, but when I hear ads saying thanks to all the ....and truck drivers and... nothing about transit, it is a bit depressing. I was under so much stress a couple of weeks ago driving that I had sores in my mouth. Never remember having them before. One week I hardly ate food because it was so painful. Now to top it all off (on top of increasing assaults threats because of stressed out passengers), we have nearly 1/3rd of our drivers being laid off. Phone calls started going out yesterday. Four of my friends unfortunately got the axe.

I do really respect Hospital and Fire staff though, as they are dealing with the worst of the worst. Grocery staff get no respect and I give them major kudos for dealing with the stress of getting sick plus selfish rude customers.

But like you said, everyone deserves a big thanks for sacrificing personal liberties during this time. Watching my mom talk to my grandma with alzheimers from the patio to maintain physical distancing is sad but amazing at the same time. Grandma can’t understand why we are doing this, but she just nods sweetly as we try to talk to her. Thats way tougher than anything I have to deal with.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Have you seen many ads praising the grocer, farmers, truck drivers, people working at meat packing/ food processing plants, bus drivers etc.

don’t get me wrong what the front line medical staff are doing is amazing but for example: Starbucks going out and offering free drinks to healthcare workers but ignoring their own workers is kinda wtf moment

It’s a good point. A lot more people than you think right now have jobs classified as essential, many of which don’t allow for much if any social distancing. Heck, imagine being a plumber right now. One of the prime methods of contracting the disease is through feces, for crying out loud, and plumbers are still making their house and business calls and working their tails off.

Again - not to take away from any health workers, grocers, transit operators and truck drivers, etc. But there’s still colossal amounts of people working and helping keep the economy and people’s lives and livelihoods going. All of them deserve a lot of respect for it.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Tough day today as my mum had to get our little mini schnauzer, Cooper, put down. He was 15 and had a good life but it's still hard to have a big part of the family leave you. 2020 needs to be done with already.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Lanny Macdonald is basically Mats Sundin with an afro and a huge moustache:

Attachments

• lanny-mcdonald-1988-43.jpg
    lanny-mcdonald-1988-43.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
McHindu is in reference to my Religion/ethnicity.

Horse would be in relation to physical endowments.....to be politically correct.
Now, I'm calling you out bud... :sarcasm: Good line...I might use that.

..after a hot tub in Maui!
(note to self: make sure it's super hot)
(note to self self: how the heck do I get to Maui)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Tough day today as my mum had to get our little mini schnauzer, Cooper, put down. He was 15 and had a good life but it's still hard to have a big part of the family leave you. 2020 needs to be done with already.
Sorry to hear V. Losing a pet these days in no less painful than it was earlier.
But, we should all hope for the glass-half-full (or rink-half-full) approach, and pray some good will come out of this - and I think there will.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
It’s a good point. A lot more people than you think right now have jobs classified as essential, many of which don’t allow for much if any social distancing. Heck, imagine being a plumber right now. One of the prime methods of contracting the disease is through feces, for crying out loud, and plumbers are still making their house and business calls and working their tails off.

Again - not to take away from any health workers, grocers, transit operators and truck drivers, etc. But there’s still colossal amounts of people working and helping keep the economy and people’s lives and livelihoods going. All of them deserve a lot of respect for it.
I hear you Mr. C.
But to be fair, if someone's toilet is backing up (I'll try to refrain from a tp joke in this thread) or their water supply is backing up - this is deemed essential.
I think it's essential.. along with every person still making their way to work: sometimes and most times with no choice. They should all get hazard pay.

I'm proud of them all, and I wish it would continue after this crisis.
My hopes are low...

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Anyone still working but not an essential service? I am. If we closed, we'd be going under. Left with no choice to stay open. Small businesses have no choice.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don’t see it. As a ravens fan I hated that pick when it was made and I just don’t see hurst being that top end tight end

He was being given very little opportunity while he was here. I can't really fault the team for that, seeing as how ridiculously good Andrews and the running game were, but a trade to a team with a good QB in a pass-first offence is exactly what the guy needed.

Picking a 25 year old TE in the 1st was definitely questionable asset management, but the guy is really well-rounded between his low drop rate, speed, and blocking ability.

I probably wouldn't have made that trade considering how much Roman uses multiple TE sets in the offence and I hope we come into this season with more than Andrews/Boyle and don't just force-feed Ricard into TE sets.

But I trust DeCosta to get good values out of his picks, I'm excited to see him go to work the next 3 days.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

My condolences VJ, feeling for you. My guy (Bichon/Shitzu-Maltese) passed away a couple years ago, about the same age. I still can't bring myself to get another, just dogsitting here and there for now. Had him from when he was born (had the father), and I was always his from the very first. Live every day like it counts. 'cause it does.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Anyone still working but not an essential service? I am. If we closed, we'd be going under. Left with no choice to stay open. Small businesses have no choice.

I'm still working though at reduced hours just to keep me employed. Though it is just me doing random stuff. Keep busy kind of work. Two 7s and a 6 hour work days a week. Non essential right now but st times.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
He was being given very little opportunity while he was here. I can't really fault the team for that, seeing as how ridiculously good Andrews and the running game were, but a trade to a team with a good QB in a pass-first offence is exactly what the guy needed.

Picking a 25 year old TE in the 1st was definitely questionable asset management, but the guy is really well-rounded between his low drop rate, speed, and blocking ability.

I probably wouldn't have made that trade considering how much Roman uses multiple TE sets in the offence and I hope we come into this season with more than Andrews/Boyle and don't just force-feed Ricard into TE sets.

But I trust DeCosta to get good values out of his picks, I'm excited to see him go to work the next 3 days.

im almost convinced we move up for one of the big 3 wr (jeudy,lamb,Ruggs) with our additional seconds and thirds but if they don’t I’m happy to move back grab extra picks and load up in depth.

Reactions: Josepho

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
My condolences VJ, feeling for you. My guy (Bichon/Shitzu-Maltese) passed away a couple years ago, about the same age. I still can't bring myself to get another, just dogsitting here and there for now. Had him from when he was born (had the father), and I was always his from the very first. Live every day like it counts. 'cause it does.
Thanks IAT. They're such a big part of the family, aren't they. Sorry it's been so tough to lose your little fella but hopefully you end up getting another one because, as you're sure to know, they bring so much good into your life. If only people were as awesome as dogs.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It’s NFL draft day finally something sports related.
Been looking forward to it for weeks.

Two potentially franchise changing QBs, some high end defensive players, A highly touted Canadian from Abbotsford could go as high as late 1st round, should be exciting.

Reactions: m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad