OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Watching Contagion as we speak. Can draw a lot of similarities of what has happened recently, that’s for sure.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I’m scared to watch it.
It’s definitely a worse virus in this movie haha, people are having seizures and foaming at the mouth. I don’t think COVID is like that but I also don’t know what happens when someone dies from it, so what can I say, I’m no doctor.

Reactions: Nomobo

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
You know what I just realized and it scared me more than most everything else. - this thing hasn’t even really hit Africa yet;

If it gets out of control there the amount t of deaths we are going to see will skyrocket. If Canada and the us are not prepared how will the African continent hold up

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
You know what I just realized and it scared me more than most everything else. - this thing hasn’t even really hit Africa yet;

If it gets out of control there the amount t of deaths we are going to see will skyrocket. If Canada and the us are not prepared how will the African continent hold up
A friend of mine that just returned from Ethiopia a few days ago and returned to work today mentioned the same fears. He was there for 3 weeks to visit his family and friends, and he said its not bad yet, and they just had 3 Chinese students put in quarantine after testing positive for it after they visited back home.

He was genuinely and deeply concerned as he said the healthcare system wouldn’t be able to handle it.

Just thinking out loud...he should have self quarantined himself for 14 days! Doh!

Reactions: mossey3535

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
I was at the gates of mt. Rainier 27 Hours ago when I learned about the European embargo by accident. Called to the consulate where they suggested me to return home asap, and so I did. Now I'm waiting for my commuter train home at Helsinki and going to self-quarantine for the next 14 days. No symptoms but that's the official recommendation.

Pretty wild range of emotions this past day and it'll likely take some time to wrap my head around all that has and will happen.

Actually surprisingly okay about not seeing the jets game.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Im not sure what you're implying with that..?
Probably that there are huge numbers of people in Africa without access to decent health care. I'm not an expert but I'd also guess the total capacity of the health care systems of many African countries to supply even inadequate health care is relatively small.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Africa will likely be lighter-hit than most because the population there is so young. There aren’t huge populations of chronically ill 80-90 year olds in care homes in Tanzania.

Like, in a country like Tanzania only 3.1% of the population is over the age of 64. The virus could have a 100% death rate in that population and still only be killing people at half the rate of Italy.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Africa will likely be lighter-hit than most because the population there is so young. There aren’t huge populations of chronically ill 80-90 year olds in care homes in Tanzania.

Like, in a country like Tanzania only 3.1% of the population is over the age of 64. The virus could have a 100% death rate in that population and still only be killing people at half the rate of Italy.

thank you for reminding me of that. In my reaction I completely Forgot about the actual demographics of Africa and how it skews young.

I hope they and everyone else can avoid as much of the ramifications that are gonna come.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Probably that there are huge numbers of people in Africa without access to decent health care. I'm not an expert but I'd also guess the total capacity of the health care systems of many African countries to supply even inadequate health care is relatively small.

Yes this is what I was referring too; hope my post didn’t come across as racist but as MS pointed out their demographics will save them quite a bit....

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Japan will be a harder one to predict. Fairly older population in a pretty much significantly smaller area. However, they tend to be fair healthier (reason why their population is older - granted having declining birth rates don't help). I'm unfamiliar with their health care system (particular those that are just plebs like me or you).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
We have been told to work from home for the foreseeable future, probably at least through March.
As a data nerd i guess thats possible and RELATIVELY positive cause i imagine a lotta people in different types a jobs like transportation and customer service industry will be losing their jobs. Like CN Tower is now closed so i guess all those workers outta luck, that stinks

Anyone else have their jobs effected YET? I havent yet but getting lots a emails from the employer about how to deal with it well working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad