OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
So you’re saying there’s a chance it’s true?!
Yes, although it's being couched as "intelligence" and not as fact:

Kim Jong Un: US monitoring intelligence that North Korean leader is in grave danger after surgery - CNNPolitics

I probably overstated things when I said he was at the very least gravely ill, it's hard even for major news outlets to gauge the accuracy of intelligence coming out of North Korea. People reported to be dead turn up alive, troop movements turn out not to have happened, etc.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
It was stated by both CNN and NBC reporters on Twitter that Jong Un is braindead, but they then backed away from their source. At the very least, he seems to be in critical condition following a procedure purported to have been cardiac surgery. He was also absent a week ago from an important public ceremony.
Spotted posting a Leafs thread on the main forum, huh?

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Kim Jong Un appears to weigh nearly 300 lbs. That's morbidly obese for a guy who is something like 5'7".

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
For the next year or two it will be. Restrictions will be lifted to some extent, but things won't be returning to normal anytime soon. Anything that attracts a big crowd (concerts, movie theatres, sports, beaches, etc.) won't be allowed for at least the next year or two.

Wasn't arguing that. Pretty obvious to see it will be awhile before those things are available again, but that's not a new normal. It would be if it never happened again in our lives, sure, then that's a new normal.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Wasn't arguing that. Pretty obvious to see it will be awhile before those things are available again, but that's not a new normal. It would be if it never happened again in our lives, sure, then that's a new normal.

What are the "normal things" you're not able to do that you mentioned above?
Based on the agenda the federal government is pushing, social distancing seems to be the norm for the next year or two. So who knows if we can even hang out with friends (in close proximity) for a long time. I don't know. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, it's just the reality of the situation based on what our political leaders have told us.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
An updated article:

Kim Jong Un: US monitoring intelligence that North Korean leader is in grave danger after surgery - CNNPolitics

So, Kim Jung Un hasn't been seen in public now for about ten days and did not attend the celebration of the birthday of his grandfather, a guy by the name of Kim Il Sung. This the equivalent of an American president failing to appear in public or release any statement on July 4. It's possible he's relatively stable but unable to leave his hospital bed, since the government would never in a million years broadcast an image of him convalescing. But there's a lot of smoke here. 4 San Jose 9th overall picks for Miller out of 5.

Reactions: Tuck Frump

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Once every year or two I have to play y tough the original Pokemon game (red or blue), just for nostalgia's sake. It still holds up as a way to pass the time. Man I spent a lot of time on that game as a kid.

Anyone else have something from their childhood they go back to occassionally?

Or an alternate topic; what were your favorite video games as a kid?

Other than the above, I'd include NHL 98 for PC, first hockey game I owned, can still hear Jim Hughson and Darryl Ray (whoever that is) commentating. "AND A TRUCK HIT HIM!"
It had such a badass intro too.

For the Sega it was Mortal Kombat, Sonic 2 and Road Rash.

For Playstation is was the Madden series, probably played '04 the most, with Vick on the cover. Final Fantasy 7 I think, and some others like Tony Hawks Pro Skater, Cool Boarders, crash Bandicoot and Grand Turismo.

And later on, GTA Vice City.

KA- CHING!

BLADES OF STEEL!!!

MarioKart for super NES is also one of my favorites.

I also like Ice Hockey for NES where you can choose the size of your 5 players.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
KA- CHING!

BLADES OF STEEL!!!

There's no way you're old enough to have played those games as a kid. If so, act you're age man.

Reactions: xtra

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
There's no way you're old enough to have played those games as a kid. If so, act you're age man.

I’m 39. :embarrassed:

I will admit to having a very bizarre and dark sense of humor, but it keeps me laughing and helps reduce stress (which is ultimately the most important thing in my opinion).

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
An updated article:

So, Kim Jung Un hasn't been seen in public now for about ten days and did not attend the celebration of the birthday of his grandfather, a guy by the name of Kim Il Sung. This the equivalent of an American president failing to appear in public or release any statement on July 4. It's possible he's relatively stable but unable to leave his hospital bed, since the government would never in a million years broadcast an image of him convalescing. But there's a lot of smoke here. 4 San Jose 9th overall picks for Miller out of 5.
So . . . you're saying he's an ill 'un

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
And soon to be none'un.
North Korean leadership has always been rigidly patrilineal but there's no obvious male successor, or even a suitable one. Jong Un's brother doesn't seem to have any ambitions beyond playing guitar, attending various concerts outside the country and trying not to step on anyone's toes and get himself killed. Kim Jong Un's son is believed to be about ten years old. A transition team of sorts could manage the country until he's old enough to do it himself but the family could very well lose their grip on power in the meantime, and his son may turn out to be unable to perform as a dictator. The skills required to maintain power in a dictatorship aren't obvious or intuitive to most people. The one person ready and able to lead the Kim dynasty is Jong Un's sister, Kim Yo-Jong. By all indications she's most of the brains behind the regime at this point, but has had to make various public displays of servitude to her brother, such as putting out and disposing of his cigarettes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
KA- CHING!

BLADES OF STEEL!!!

Sadly, I played so much Blades of Steel as a child that I can still remember the Game Genie codes for the super-fast puck and faster players.

AAOSSAAZ
OXETPTSX
AEETZTEX

Presumably, my brain has forgotten precious memories of beloved now-deceased family members so it could retain crap like that. Stupid brain.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Question for those with TELUS Optik tv.

I have two boxes .. the smaller one in my bedroom has sound lag , or is shutting off and on. The other box is fine in my living room. Can you simply swap the boxes? Like put the one from the living room to the bedroom without a tech coming in and having to code it etc set it up?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Sadly, I played so much Blades of Steel as a child that I can still remember the Game Genie codes for the super-fast puck and faster players.

AAOSSAAZ
OXETPTSX
AEETZTEX

Presumably, my brain has forgotten precious memories of beloved now-deceased family members so it could retain crap like that. Stupid brain.

A few things puzzled me about Blades of Steel:

1) the Edmonton Oilers wearing Edmonton Eskimo jerseys.
2) the Canucks being given poo colored uniforms (perhaps the game makers gave the Canucks these jerseys as a way of commemorating the Canucks’ overall performance during the 80’s?)
3) Being sent to the penalty box for losing a fight (no complaints on my part by the way - this was one of many things that I LOVED about BoS).
4) Why the computer player had a low pitched manly voice while the human players had a team full of high pitched voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad