OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Football is probably more technical and tactical than baseball but there is quite a bit of strategy involved - in any sport really.
Probably?

It's the exact reason I love coaching it so much. Though I could see myself coaching baseball one day, a lot of technique based instruction needed there, especially at the intro levels.

Reactions: Ozone

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Probably?

It's the exact reason I love coaching it so much. Though I could see myself coaching baseball one day, a lot of technique based instruction needed there, especially at the intro levels.

I find more fascination in a batter trying to hit a pitch that is 95MPH or a breaking ball that starts in one batters box and ends up in the other. I don’t think there is anything harder in sports to do.

Reactions: Grantham

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I find more fascination in a batter trying to hit a pitch that is 95MPH or a breaking ball that starts in one batters box and ends up in the other. I don’t think there is anything harder in sports to do.
Agreed. Could never get into football, although I appreciate the chess match aspect of it, and what an absolute warzone it can be.

The pitchers in MLB are absolutely fascinating. The distance they pitch, with velocity, pinpoint control, messing around with physics at will is a sight to behold!

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Who said there wasn’t. NFL has five commercials to show them kickoff into the endzone.
You seem to be singling out football when all sports take advantage of ad revenue.

Just watch NFL Red zone on Sundays, best way to watch the NFL and it's commercial free. Just need to subscribe to dazn in Canada, get Sunday Ticket too.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Agreed. Could never get into football, although I appreciate the chess match aspect of it, and what an absolute warzone it can be.

The pitchers in MLB are absolutely fascinating. The distance they pitch, with velocity, pinpoint control, messing around with physics at will is a sight to behold!
And now they’re adding spin rate and everything to their knowledge. Trevor Bauer’s YouTube channel is pretty good, you should check it out if you haven’t.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
And now they’re adding spin rate and everything to their knowledge. Trevor Bauer’s YouTube channel is pretty good, you should check it out if you haven’t.
Very cool, I’ll definitely check that out!

Just as a side note, Million Dollar Arm is a nice movie about finding pitchers in other countries. A bit of an underrated gem for pitching fans

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Claypool lands in a good spot.

if you guys don’t like commercials watch bleacher report on YouTube.

they get the picks in faster and have better analysis.

Frostage

May 23, 2014

While that indeed is hard, I think defining the most difficult task almost impossible.

For me MMA is very difficult. It's a game of high-stakes chess played at lightning speed, where you don't get the same pieces and the physical consequences are dire. Not to mention the different disciplines in which you must be at a very high level.

I reckon the decathlon is also extremely difficult. The numbers they put up are near Olympian levels in almost 10 different endeavours. Fair play to them. (As a side note I always wondered why the 100m champion got so much glory)

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Pitchers pitch. QB's throw...
They both have their merits and downfalls. In-game coaching is the difference in my book.
After hockey of course, it would be baseketball, then football.
Baseball is more pregame strategy than these other mentioned.

I could down a 6 pack of cheap beer and make a few moves at the top of the seventh..;)

Hope you all are doing well, and stay that way!

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
How about an all star game slash season that lasts 162 games? Who needs the rest of the players..
My point is: I'll let you know when I figure it out.
Well, it's Covid time, and I'm just getting over it..time to enjoy what we have now, and smile - and pray for all others.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
How about an all star game slash season that lasts 162 games? Who needs the rest of the players..
My point is: I'll let you know when I figure it out.
Well, it's Covid time, and I'm just getting over it..time to enjoy what we have now, and smile - and pray for all others.
Really no point arguing over this. We like what we like and no sport is better than the other.

Reactions: Ozone

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
For me football is the pinnacle the chess match, the extreme size athletic combo, the high stakes every game means so much you can’t have bad games. One and done playoffs. It’s just the best to me.

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I can't see it on a particular team board but I DO see it when I click on the HFboards home page icon (it's on the right hand side a few inches down from the top - well sort of (as "google custom search"...seems pretty basic).

Yeah, I can see that one. Weird. They must have done some 'upgrade' and removed search.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
My town's Finnish Baseball (pesäpallo) team got to the highest tier men's League for this season so I bought a season ticket. Really hoping that the season happens because the alternative might be the whole team going under. It's a bit different than the American version but still highly tactical.

Reactions: MS

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
My town's Finnish Baseball (pesäpallo) team got to the highest tier men's League for this season so I bought a season ticket. Really hoping that the season happens because the alternative might be the whole team going under. It's a bit different than the American version but still highly tactical.

So the pitcher just tosses the ball straight up in thw air?? That's not real baseball or pitching. Beer League slo-pitch is closer to real baseball.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So the pitcher just tosses the ball straight up in thw air?? That's not real baseball or pitching. Beer League slo-pitch is closer to real baseball.
I could've sworn I saw a pitcher throw the ball pretty much where it travelled in an arching type motion (eg., thrown up in the air where it comes down at the batters box). edit: heh, maybe I remember it from a baseball movie. Meant to throw the batter's timing off.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I could've sworn I saw a pitcher throw the ball pretty much where it travelled in an arching type motion (eg., thrown up in the air where it comes down at the batters box). edit: heh, maybe I remember it from a baseball movie. Meant to throw the batter's timing off.

You're describing an eephus where the pitcher basically just lobs the ball like you or I would. Very rare and only works if you completely catch the batter off guard. Greinke has done this a few times. You can find some funny videos if you google eephus.

Reactions: Hit the post

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
The ball must hit the playing field before exiting so tossing the ball upwards is just one part of it. I think 1/10 of scoring hits is one where the ball even exits the playing field. So you have to use spin, height, placement on the plate (or outside of the plate for tactical reasons) etc.

Pitching is also one of the many tasks the pitcher does depending on how many bases are manned. Controlling the pace of the batting team, tiring the runners, trying to catch them sneaking to the next base before pitching. Lots of nuances, and that's only one of the nine players in the outfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->