OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread 2: Self Isolate Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Christ that’s hard to read, especially coming from parents who should know better.
The striking thing is that ever since I can remember she was so progressive and always the nicest person in the world. She never had a bad thing to say about anyone and would always be the voice in the middle-ground of arguments. Now she spends 90% of every conversation spewing hate. It literally came about since she started watching that channel. It's incredible.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Looks like the police still don’t get it

Honestly, as much as I hate to admit this, I do support a more aggressive stance from both the police and military in this instance. Rioters and protesters need to know that they don’t call the shots and that anarchy will not be tolerated.

I also don’t want my support of the police in this instance to be misconstrued as me tolerating what has happened to African Americans in the United States recently (and for a long time).

If it was up to, those officers that killed George Floyd would be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Logan 2017:

I’m one of those guys that would be more inclined to rewatch a movie that I loved watching, numerous times, as opposed to watching a new movie that I might be 50/50 on. Logan might have to be an exception however.

While I watched Logan for the 3rd time last night, I don’t think I’ll ever watch it again. Now obviously, the X-Men aren’t real, and Patrick Stewart is not really Charles Xavier, but that performance of Stewart playing Xavier with Dementia is such brilliant acting......to the point where it became real for me.....real in the sense that I was watching a childhood hero of mine struggling and ultimately being killed. Ditto for Logan/Wolverine. Hugh Jackman isn’t really Logan, but that performance made it real for me.

I’m usually pretty good at differentiating fiction from reality and am usually more inclined to ridicule guys that take movies and serial TV shows too seriously, but Logan seriously messed with my head.

As a huge fan of the X-Men growing up, watching The Professor and Logan on their last legs was incredibly difficult for me to stomach.

Reactions: Didalee Hed

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Honestly, as much as I hate to admit this, I do support a more aggressive stance from both the police and military in this instance. Rioters and protesters need to know that they don’t call the shots and that anarchy will not be tolerated.

I also don’t want my support of the police in this instance to be misconstrued as me tolerating what has happened to African Americans in the United States recently (and for a long time).

If it was up to, those officers that killed George Floyd would be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

The police should not be heavy handed with peaceful protesters, no one in this clip is rioting. They are just assembling so they are heard.

you agree with this

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The police should not be heavy handed with peaceful protesters, no one in this clip is rioting. They are just assembling so they are heard.

you agree with this

SMH.

That was uncalled for, there are good and bad policing but this is just awful.

Yeah pushing an elderly man to the point he bleeds, shame on that guy.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
"Tripped and fell" according to the cops. Not hard to figure out what has been going on for centuries before camera phones.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

oh he has a role in all this too. in 1999 when he was governor jesse the body signed into law a bill that repealed minneapolis and st. paul’s requirement that city workers live in the cities where they work. it was pushed by a captain in the MPD that was also a state rep and who later became the county sheriff.

so for the last 20 years MPD officers have commuted in from places with virtually no non-white people to enforce the law in communities they have no stake in, listening to hours and hours of racist right wing talk radio.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
"Tripped and fell" according to the cops. Not hard to figure out what has been going on for centuries before camera phones.

Commissionaire seen the video and now he has suspend the police officers involved.

To be honest when a police officer is caught lying about excessive force it should be immediate termination because you know they will do it again.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

you agree with this

WTF that old guy is unconscious, with a possible concussion from his head bouncing off the concrete. All those cops there should be fired!

Reactions: VanillaCoke

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m not sure if it’s more troubling that people are assholes enough to think it’s A-OK to have police beat on elderly non-violent protesters or that they’re stupid enough to think that having the police beat on people who are protesting police brutality will somehow make things better in any way or help bring an end to this.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The lack of humanity being shown online by some people is really depressing.

some actions can’t be defended and it’s depressing there are people that are doing so
The bottom line is, a lot of people simply don't care. Selfishness is considered a virtue to a large chunk of the US population, and you-know-who has only encouraged it. Take a trip over to the covid forum. Look at who thinks the lockdowns were all a waste of time, and who thinks the police are doing a great job beating the protesters. A lot of the same names come up. They don't care about 100,00+ of their fellow citizens dying just like they don't care about the police killing black people without arrest or trial. Footage posted of police SUVs driving through barricades into the protesters is met with a shrug. A guy who's done nothing but break the law for his own benefit since 2016 is suddenly now a big fan of "law and order" when it means he can have black people beaten like dogs. It's a really shit state of affairs. Just glad I'm up here in Canada away from the real loonies.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
If you think the push is ok then why did the officers in question lie about the incident? They said he tripped and fell.

Also why is any force necessary with a non violent/non destructive old man?

edit I see you agree that the lying is terrible I also believe cops should be fired for lying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If you think the push is ok then why did the officers in question lie about the incident? They said he tripped and fell.

Also why is any force necessary with a non violent/non destructive old man?

edit I see you agree that the lying is terrible I also believe cops should be fired for lying.

Why didn’t the officers just go around the old guy? They could have passed him by, and he would end up in behind them, and safe. Then have an officer (social worker?) sit with the old guy and talk to him in a non threatening way.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think another issue is....as tough a job being a law enforcement officer is, look at how SOME of them have acted like a $#@%#$% during these protests when *THEY KNOW* they're being filmed. They go ahead and act like an ass anyway. Now imagine these same Rambo wannabes are like when there's no recording device around: "Perp tried to injure my knuckles by banging his head constantly against it".

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
oh a big shock the same people who endlessly argue totally unreasonable and unsupportable things about our hockey team also are mass posting insane real workd positions espousing fascism

there are only two explanations, neither are new hypotheses

Reactions: MS and Hansen

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Article on fivethirtyeight.com: Police Are Killing Fewer People In Big Cities, But More In Suburban And Rural America.

In the absence of comprehensive federal data, databases such as Fatal Encounters, Mapping Police Violence and The Washington Post’s Fatal Force project have tracked these killings year after year. And the data produced by these projects suggests that police, at least on a national level, are killing people as often now as they were before Michael Brown’s death in Ferguson, Missouri, sparked widespread protests in 2014.

But these numbers don’t tell the whole story. While the nationwide total of people killed by police nationwide has remained steady, the numbers have dropped significantly in America’s largest cities, likely due to reforms to use-of-force policies implemented in the wake of high-profile deaths. Those decreases, however, have been offset by increases in police killings in more suburban and rural areas. It seems that solutions that can reduce police killings exist, in other words — the issue may be whether an area has the political will to enact them.

Indeed, looking only at the 30 most populous cities in the country,
you see a substantial decrease in the number of people killed by police in recent years.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Heartbreaking to watch them storm past this old man who is clearly seriously hurt. One of the officers even goes to help him and is told to leave him. Disgusting

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Unfortunately that isn't the case, they were just suspended without pay.

I don't know, but I'd imagine there's a process they have to go through.

Internal affairs will investigate and then they will be fired. At least they're not being paid while suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad