Friedman: The Oilers Offseason Priority

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Good luck going after Mike Green, Seriously doubt he has any interest in playing in the west or in Edmonton for all that matter. I see him resigning back with Detroit or some eastern conference team.

Wings fans would fall over if he signed with the Oilers in the off season wouldn't they? :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good luck going after Mike Green, Seriously doubt he has any interest in playing in the west or in Edmonton for all that matter. I see him resigning back with Detroit or some eastern conference team.

That remains to be seen, why exactly would he want to go back to Detroit if you think that he wouldn't go out west? Wouldn't he be better served to go to another team in the east? Maybe Washington if Carlsson prices himself out of that market?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If it's not trading their draft pick++ for a young top pairing defender then Chiarelli is actually trolling. Maybe he already is. Kind of hard to tell.

Either way I imagine Nugent-Hopkins isn't laying down membership fees at any golf clubs in town this summer.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The draft lottery has lost all credibility already then, as the NHL has been tampering with the odds for years.

Dude

You don't have a clue

The company that oversees the lotto is a very large company that many governments and individuals call in as independent accounts for civil, criminal and business problems. If they allowed the lotto to be rigged you would see about 10 to 20 billion pound lawsuits within 24 hours. I don't think many people realize just what the company that oversees the lotto does

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Then I suggest you spend more time on your game day threads.....

Because three things become very apparent when going through them.

1) McPoints
2) Fallin for Dahlin
3) Losses are good because it means there is a better chance that TMac and Chia are gone

Read many, many times that he is just what the Oilers need! A PMD man!! Him and McDavid will put up 150 points.

Now I can agree with you that a large portion don't feel you deserve him, but you all will love the **** storm it would cause if you did win the lottery.

I'm not ranting about the talent you guys have accumulated, that's not it. You guys legitimately sucked for a decade and got great draft picks. Now what you've done with it is a whole other story! It's the attitude of many of your fan base that some how feel that you would deserve Dahlin because you've sucked for so long. That's bull****. You guys were rewarded with McDavid. You shouldn't need anything else, nothing. The idea that just one more 1OA will do the trick is upsetting. There are teams out there that are trying to build competitive teams without the aid of a 1OA, let alone 4....potentially 5.

You do know that we never finish last every year ? You do know we did not try and tank like Buffalo and Arizona for McDavid ? Both mention teams sold asset off like candy in hopes of getting McDavid so yeah we deserved that one .

As for the other 1st I would have preferred later picks . It would have made our scout and management do some work . Draisaitl while a very high pick is looking like the best player from his draft year .

Again as others have mention no Oiler fans are saying we deserve the first over all pick . The fallin for Dahlin is just a thread to discuss the possibilities and what it would mean going forward . It like every thread on here

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hmm.. If they're willing to move their pick.. They could try to go for Karlsson at the draft. If they did that, they'd probably have the best defenseman and forward in the league. Scary stuff

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Going after Karlsson is a bit of a pipe dream. The Oilers should do it, but it is more realistic to target players like Myers, Green, Leddy, Barrie, Jack Johnson, or Faulk. Maybe add two Dmen like this instead of one big fish like Karlsson.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Going after Karlsson is a bit of a pipe dream. The Oilers should do it, but it is more realistic to target players like Myers, Green, Leddy, Barrie, Jack Johnson, or Faulk. Maybe add two Dmen like this instead of one big fish like Karlsson.
what would be your offer for Myers?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
what would be your offer for Myers?
well it depends what you need. Someone in that other thread mentioned the Jets needs as D prospects and a top 9 forward. I think Strome might be a good trade chip as a top 9 forward. Maybe we'd be willing to trade one of our better D prospects like Jones. We'd definitely be on board with trading picks, but no 1st rounders. Maybe a conditional pick could be a 1st rounder. I don't know the exact price we'd pay, but I get that a full season of a player is worth more than just a deadline rental. So maybe Strome+Jones, which is a steep cost to pay for Myers but I think there would be some competition to get him.

I do think we could take Mason as well. It might be a good thing for us if he still has enough game to challenge Talbot a bit.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
well it depends what you need. Someone in that other thread mentioned the Jets needs as D prospects and a top 9 forward. I think Strome might be a good trade chip as a top 9 forward. Maybe we'd be willing to trade one of our better D prospects like Jones. We'd definitely be on board with trading picks, but no 1st rounders. Maybe a conditional pick could be a 1st rounder. I don't know the exact price we'd pay, but I get that a full season of a player is worth more than just a deadline rental. So maybe Strome+Jones, which is a steep cost to pay for Myers but I think there would be some competition to get him.

I do think we could take Mason as well. It might be a good thing for us if he still has enough game to challenge Talbot a bit.
Straight futures likely, D/C prospects, picks... Jets will be tight against the cap so cannot take any salary back.

1st from a contender or a 2nd+D prospect was what i was thinking

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Maybe they could trade Lucic (6M) + Strome (2.5M) for Eberle (6M).

Thoughts????

Wait, maybe they could trade Lucic (6M) + Strome (2.5M) + Larsson (4.2M) for Hall (6M) and Eberle (6M)!!!

They even save 700k in cap space too!

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
True. Plus if the Oilers pick Boqvist this year, they won’t give up what it takes to get Barrie if they can instead wait a few years for Boqvist to develop.

For the sake of Oilers fans, NO. That is the WRONG mentality for a team with the best player in the league entering his prime. You don't waste a "few years" of 100+ point seasons from McDavid, or else you end up like the Caps and Islanders.

The Oilers should be open to selling any and all futures to put a better team on the ice right now. Their 1st rounder, particularly if it ends up being a top 5 pick, should be moved for a top pairing defenseman or top line scoring winger, no questions asked.

Their other priority should be doing whatever it takes to get rid of Lucic's contract, and possibly move Russell's contract off the books, as well. If you need to move future picks and decent prospects to do it, go ahead. Use that cap space to bring in some effective players in the bottom six.

The Oilers showed that they can ride McDavid to a successful season last year. Imagine what they could do if they actually put a decent supporting cast around him. At some point, the narrative there needs to change from "we can wait" to "we can't wait."

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles are looking to add help to the young,struggling blueline so no thanks to trading 27 yr old Leddy for a futures package.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
For the sake of Oilers fans, NO. That is the WRONG mentality for a team with the best player in the league entering his prime. You don't waste a "few years" of 100+ point seasons from McDavid, or else you end up like the Caps and Islanders.

The Oilers should be open to selling any and all futures to put a better team on the ice right now. Their 1st rounder, particularly if it ends up being a top 5 pick, should be moved for a top pairing defenseman or top line scoring winger, no questions asked.

Their other priority should be doing whatever it takes to get rid of Lucic's contract, and possibly move Russell's contract off the books, as well. If you need to move future picks and decent prospects to do it, go ahead. Use that cap space to bring in some effective players in the bottom six.

The Oilers showed that they can ride McDavid to a successful season last year. Imagine what they could do if they actually put a decent supporting cast around him. At some point, the narrative there needs to change from "we can wait" to "we can't wait."
Totally agree. No more waiting a few years for more top end draft picks. Been doing it for over a decade now.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not seeing a match this year for what you want, esp at what I perceive you are willing to pay.

I am not interested in giving away DeAngelo, but he is the kind of guy you could gamble on who might be ready to break out sooner than later. Still learning NHL level D, but 19OA who has obvious skill.

Elite guys who fit the bill [doughty, Karlsson, etc.] are few and far between. There is a tiny chance they will be adamant about testing the market, with result being 1 yr overpayment not enough, many suitors will push for long term high $ deal, which will reward immediately and cost later.

better bet is more offense from Fs, better D and G, rather than looking for Bobby Orr lite.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

You’ll get no disagreement from me. I also think the Oilers should trade for their guy instead of trying to draft him, since whoever they draft won’t be ready for 2ish years and McDavid will be that much older. I was just raitionalizing it if they didn’t trade for someone worthwhile this summer. What I outlined would make sense, but likely wouldn’t be the best course of action.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If it's not trading their draft pick++ for a young top pairing defender then Chiarelli is actually trolling. Maybe he already is. Kind of hard to tell.

Either way I imagine Nugent-Hopkins isn't laying down membership fees at any golf clubs in town this summer.

Since he came back from injury, he’s put up 7-8-15, +13 in 15 games.

Yes, he’s been playing with McDavid quite a bit, but they’ve been dominant together.

Edmonton would be well served to keep RNH.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
What about a guy like Jake Gardiner ? 40-50 Point D man . Honestly hes not terrible either he makes some foolish mistakes but when hes on his game he looks super solid, he has won the leafs the game a few times this year. Number 4 D 100%

Would a

Jake garinder + i understand the + has to be something of value

for

Jesse Pulijuarvi work?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad