Friedman: The Oilers Offseason Priority

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I wouldn’t do that guy’s trade if he took Puljujarvi out of it. Good lord that’s bad.
Considering the fact Faulk is horrible on defence one of the worst in the NHL so even if you took out Puljujarvi and the first the cap dump is tempting , but Faulk hurts us as a team worse.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I love the Oilers but there something real wrong with the team . I am starting to think the owner puts his nose into too much . No proof but when you have change your GM and coach as offer as your socks and underwear it can not be all their faults . Maybe it is Lowe forcing his will onto the GM's I just don't know . But the Oilers should have been able to score their way out of being a bottom feeder . I guess they tried the wingers approach and did not work now it is the centre approach . Everyone hailed Chia coming in as he build a cup winning team in Boston . He traded Seguin but from what was out there it seemed Neely force that . Then he trades Hall . I think we needed to add a D and Hall was the only one with value . Altho I am happy with Larsson I think he should have gotten a little more . It was well known Hall,s name was out there so it might of been the best offer . I like to think he did his due diligence and called all teams that were load on D so I gave him a pass . I don't give him a pass on Draisaitl contract . Draisaitl had no leverage he should have gotten him signed at 7 or bridge him and put him on his own line and when his numbers dropped a little signed him base on him centring his own line . I think Draisaitl would be worth his 8.5 million as a number 1 C which I see him being capable of but it too much money to have in 2 C ( McDavid and Driasaitl )

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
. I am starting to think the owner puts his nose into too much .
I think after the Yakupov fiasco and the hiring of Nicholson he stepped back from putting his nose in anything . Because if he was I don't think he would of allowed the Hall and Eberle deals to go down , but after disaster this season , I see him putting his nose back in and multiple firings after the season .

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Considering the fact Faulk is horrible on defence one of the worst in the NHL so even if you took out Puljujarvi and the first the cap dump is tempting , but Faulk hurts us as a team worse.
If we are serious about upgrading our D's puck ability, we'll have to accept that we will be going after players who are below average defensively. We're not getting a total package elite for the kind of price we'll be willing to pay. We're not offering up Drai here.

Just give whatever offensive D we get soft minutes and loads of PP time. I also disagree that Faulk is so bad. Give him the top offensive role and he'd eclipse his best point totals from the Hurricanes on a regular basis.

I do hesitate to trade Puljujarvi for him though. JP is just a bad trade asset. He's in the middle of developing so it's not like he holds nearly the value now as he will later. Plus Faulk only has 2 years left, vs many years of control on JP remaining.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Faulk hurts his team does not help it you don't aquire players who make you worse like Strome for Eberle and to a different extent Hall for Larsson even though Larsson is solid at defence . You don't offer nothing for Faulk , Worst minus since Faulk joined NHL
aVrSLCd.png

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think after the Yakupov fiasco and the hiring of Nicholson he stepped back from putting his nose in anything . Because if he was I don't think he would of allowed the Hall and Eberle deals to go down , but after disaster this season , I see him putting his nose back in and multiple firings after the season .

And who could blame him for that

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If we are serious about upgrading our D's puck ability, we'll have to accept that we will be going after players who are below average defensively. We're not getting a total package elite for the kind of price we'll be willing to pay. We're not offering up Drai here.

Just give whatever offensive D we get soft minutes and loads of PP time. I also disagree that Faulk is so bad. Give him the top offensive role and he'd eclipse his best point totals from the Hurricanes on a regular basis.

I do hesitate to trade Puljujarvi for him though. JP is just a bad trade asset. He's in the middle of developing so it's not like he holds nearly the value now as he will later. Plus Faulk only has 2 years left, vs many years of control on JP remaining.

He’s had the top offensive role on the Hurricanes since he entered the league, more or less. 1300+ minutes of powerplay time since he entered the league. It’s not like he’s going to see some magical production spike because his usage is changing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He’s had the top offensive role on the Hurricanes since he entered the league, more or less. 1300+ minutes of powerplay time since he entered the league. It’s not like he’s going to see some magical production spike because his usage is changing.
well his 31 points this season is a low point for him, so obviously he's had success in his role. His big successful year was 2014-15, where he had 49 points, and an interesting trivia of that season is that his defense partner was Sekera.

And as for his poor plus minus, I don't put much stock in that stat without context. For Faulk, not only has his team been lacking, but he's also been one of their minute munching Dmen over the last few years, not just for PP but for even strength as well. Here, he wouldn't have to put up as many minutes. He'd be fresher, and would do less heavy lifting.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
:sens Klefbomb, RNH, 2019 1st, 2018 2nd

:edmonton Karlsson, JG Pageau

Swap RNH for the 2018 1st (this helps Ottawa with cap and allows EDM to keep a core piece) and add Ryan Strome. You can drop the 2018 2nd for Ethan Bear.

Klefbom + 2018 1st + 2019 1st + Strome + Bear for EK + Pageau

- Better deal for Ottawa
- Doesn't hurt EDM as much short term (keeping RNH)

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Yet they refuse to draft one.
Whether they have to trade up or down to get those dman, they should make every 1st and second round pick be for that rearguard until they get one.

Stupid stupid picking Puljujarvi and not Sergachev

Stupid stupid picking Yakupov and not Murray Lindholm or Trouba.

Stupid stupid picking Nurse over Ristolainen

Stupid stupid trading Taylor Hall and not get back a 1D

Worst organization in hockey

The problem with this post is that it applies hindsight to situations where those options were not available.

1) Puljujarvi was the consensus 3rd pick who fell to 4th. You take the BPA and that was clearly the choice. Also, it's way to early to say that was the wrong move.
2) True, they should have taken Murray. Lindholm or Trouba were not realistic people for #1, hence my assertion that you inappropriately apply hindsight.
3) Disagree strongly. Nurse was the higher rated prospect and I believe he is already close if not better than Risto.
4) This is fair. Although in Chia's defence that trade did help them make the playoffs. It was horrible value and 2 years out it looks even worse.

Worst organization in hockey is just ridiculous. Have you seen the state of the ARZ, BUF, OTT (ownership), MTL (management), etc.? If the Oilers make the playoffs next year will you still call them the worst organization in hockey?

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Oilers off-season should be easy.

1. Fire GM
2. Fire all the scouts
3. Fire the coaching staff
4. Hire new GM.
5. Hire new scouts
6. Hire new coaching staff
7. Wait to see if Tavares leaves the Islanders. If he does try to trade them RNH for a package of Nelson, Ho Sang and perhaps the later of their first rounders. I think they do that. You can't replace Tavares but RNH can step in and play a second center role there.

That's a good start.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
The problem with this post is that it applies hindsight to situations where those options were not available.

1) Puljujarvi was the consensus 3rd pick who fell to 4th. You take the BPA and that was clearly the choice. Also, it's way to early to say that was the wrong move.
2) True, they should have taken Murray. Lindholm or Trouba were not realistic people for #1, hence my assertion that you inappropriately apply hindsight.
3) Disagree strongly. Nurse was the higher rated prospect and I believe he is already close if not better than Risto.
4) This is fair. Although in Chia's defence that trade did help them make the playoffs. It was horrible value and 2 years out it looks even worse.

Worst organization in hockey is just ridiculous. Have you seen the state of the ARZ, BUF, OTT (ownership), MTL (management), etc.? If the Oilers make the playoffs next year will you still call them the worst organization in hockey?
Edmonton has made the playoffs 1 time in the last 12 seasons Edmonton isn't the worst organization but that's only because of Arizona and Buffalo.

Edmonton Ownership isn't better than Ottawa both owners like to be involved.
Edmontion Management isn't better than Montreal

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes, you poor things. It must be terrible for the Oiler fans. I mean you've have only had 4 1OA's, one of them being McDavid, and one of them will most likely win the Hart this year, you have Drai, and RNH. Yes, it's been so very difficult for you. I meaning getting all the high end talent for the last 9 years, while teams like the Coyotes get your scraps is deserving of our sympathy?

Do you guys ever stop to think of the talent you have received from the draft....at what point do you guys kick back and say..."yup, we have been given every opportunity to be great but we just keep ****ing it up"? When does that happen instead of the "Poor us, bad drafts" **** that gets thrown around here all the time?
There's plenty of Oil fans who do exactly that; it's noticeable every time there's a complaint about Darryl Katz and friends.

* * *​
That's kind of my point though......having to listen to "we deserve another first overall, well, because" gets pretty old coming from a team that collects them like stamps. Maybe another team deserves some of the talent, no?
I don't see a "we deserve" anywhere. Some daydreaming about it, but no entitlement. When there's an entitlement complex among the Oil's Lunatic Fringe here, everybody notices.

* * *​
Tampering was the correct word. Maybe you need to learn the context of it?

interfere with (something) in order to cause damage or make unauthorized alterations.

Which means Oilers would be causing damage to the Drafts credibility of being a fair and just system for all teams participating. So yes tampering is the correct word.

And if they won a first overall again you can honestly say in a straight face other fan bases wouldn’t be upset? Both conspiracy and tampering would be the correct words on the draft system.
Ernst & Young audits the process to make sure that that doesn't deliberately happen. I for one would want some kind of "you don't get to have that many 1st overalls that soon like that" rule, but I'm not about to assume it's some kind of conspiracy. Especially not when the process is vetted by one of the Big Four.

* * *​
GMs will probably be lining up for a chance to rip Chia off.
I'd love for the Jackets to get in on that action :naughty: but we don't have enough RDs to spare one. :(

* * *​
The only thing the Oilers win is the draft lottery.
And they can't even win that consistently. :shakehead ;)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

7. Wait to see if Tavares leaves the Islanders. If he does try to trade them RNH for a package of Nelson, Ho Sang and perhaps the later of their first rounders. I think they do that. You can't replace Tavares but RNH can step in and play a second center role there.

That's a good start.

Can we at least TRY to look at a trade from both teams needs?
Isles biggest needs are defense and goaltending. Not a second line center.
Isles can slot Barzal into the #1 center spot and Beau into the #2 spot.

RNH 24g,24 a 48 pts.
Barzal 22g, 63a 85 pts
Beau 21g, 15a 35 pts

There will be teams desperate for a low end #1 center like RNH. The isles won't be one of those teams.
If a 1st+Nelson +JHS are moved, it will be to fill a major nyi need .

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Can we at least TRY to look at a trade from both teams needs?
Isles biggest needs are defense and goaltending. Not a second line center.
Isles can slot Barzal into the #1 center spot and Beau into the #2 spot.

RNH 24g,24 a 48 pts.
Barzal 22g, 63a 85 pts
Beau 21g, 15a 35 pts

There will be teams desperate for a low end #1 center like RNH. The isles won't be one of those teams.
If a 1st+Nelson +JHS are moved, it will be to fill a major nyi need .

If JT walks, then the Isles will probably crater and then the next rebuild commences. RNH does nothing for us as you've noted. Draft picks become our most valuable assets, we won't be trading those any time soon and a firesale to acquire more is the likely play. It's bad enough already trying to lure UFA's, it will be impossible if JT isn't here anymore. I would hope that also means a housecleaning will happen in management and coaching staff.

If JT stays, then I completely agree that we need to address our needs and RNH is not that.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
There is a decent chance that the Jets move one of their RHD this offseason (Trouba, Buff or Myers). We also have a glut of wingers, one or two of which we might want to trade (Petan, Dano, Perreault, Armia, Copp).

We may not need a roster player back - picks and a solid D prospect, for example.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
First off make decisions on the RFAs, and move the ones you don’t keep for picks, we need more forwards in the system that can bubble up and give us low-cost scoring during our years at the cap.

I’d keep Nurse and that’s it, Strome isn’t good enough for his $3M QO and the other players’ lack of being able to handle NHL roles are a big reason we ended up where we are.

Chia’s season strategy of letting the young kids grow into NHL roles was an abject failure and we can’t go back to it, the Oilers need to rework their hockey ops and AHL staff for player development.

Strome, Benning and Slepyshev should have some trade value, the others may need their rights renounced. I’d not re-sign a player like Caggiula at a $1M cap hit and send him to the AHL either, that would take the space of a prospect we need to develop.

That clears some cap to add lower priced FAs who are at least league average NHL players, some could stabilize the bottom six lines covering the toughs and on the PK.

I doubt very much that any of the players with NMCs get moved or bought out. Next summer, Russell and Sekera are movable, and both players will be useful next season. Lucic needs an offseason focusing on fitness, skating and nutrition, since his contract is immovable.

Then go hunting for a quality shooter at the wing, another lesser shooter for Leon’s line and the offensive RHD.

I see our trade block as: a pick swap to a lower first this year, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, next year’s first rounder, Nuge and Klefbom.

Last edited:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The window on trading RNH has probably closed given his chemistry with McDavid. That leaves the 2018 1st (9th) and 2nd, 2019 picks, Klefbom, Puljujarvi and one of Ethan Bear or Matt Benning as trade bait.

Oilers also need a winger for Drai's line, so I could see the following packages as a starting point:

-Puljujarvi + 1st '18 for Faulk and Skinner

-Klefbom, 1st '18 or Puljujarvi, 2nd '18, 1st '19, Bear or Benning for Karlsson and Hoffman

-? to Montreal for Weber and Pacioretty

Oilers have a lot of work cut out for them this summer if they are going to be contenders next year.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

This is flawed logic. The same flawed logic that got the Oilers into this pickle.
If their need is on Defence they need to trade down
If their need is for a veteran then trade the pick.
Oilers have so much trouble drafting high that they should trade down to mid 1st round anyways

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
I understand their defense is a priority but what about their wingers? they gotta be near the bottom as a group

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln

1. Fire GM
2. Fire all the scouts
3. Fire the coaching staff
4. Hire new GM.
5. Hire new scouts
6. Hire new coaching staff

That's a good start.

Scouting has been fine since they cleaned house a few years back.

Agree with the rest.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Edmonton has made the playoffs 1 time in the last 12 seasons Edmonton isn't the worst organization but that's only because of Arizona and Buffalo.

Edmonton Ownership isn't better than Ottawa both owners like to be involved.
Edmontion Management isn't better than Montreal

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Trolling right? You do know that Melnyk doesn't allow the Sens to spend to the cap, right? He's also the reason an elite defenceman may be leaving this summer. There's literally billboards in Ottawa with "Melnyk Out" written on them. Ownership has not been a problem for the Oilers under Katz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->