Friedman: The Oilers Offseason Priority

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Ekman-Larsson is the best defenseman they could possibly get and where he has a shot of being a Norris candidate. I'd do something like RNH for OEL. If they also somehow land Faulk and Skinner, then I say they could get in the playoffs.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Can the Oil afford OEL or Karlsson. Would think both of those guys get contracts north of $10 Million, right?

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Tampering? Do you understand the definition of the word? Unless you're suggesting the accounting firm of Ernst & Young are all closet Oiler fans and rig the lottery (the same lottery process that bumped the Oilers back 2 spots in 2016, causing them to miss out on Laine).

The lottery basically comes down to luck and math. It has nothing to do with history.

And no anger from other fan bases for us (possibly) winning can match the anger from Oilers fans having to suffer another **** season.

Tampering was the correct word. Maybe you need to learn the context of it?

interfere with (something) in order to cause damage or make unauthorized alterations.

Which means Oilers would be causing damage to the Drafts credibility of being a fair and just system for all teams participating. So yes tampering is the correct word.

And if they won a first overall again you can honestly say in a straight face other fan bases wouldn’t be upset? Both conspiracy and tampering would be the correct words on the draft system.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A guy like Jake Gardiner might be available at some point from the Leafs. He has inconsistent periods, and does cough the puck up (as do so many who carry the puck as much as he does), but he's put up 50 points this year, and when he is on his game, is a very good PMD, offensive D. He is elite in his passes out of the zone, including many tape to tape two and three zone passes this year. Him setting up a streaking McDavid would be scary. He wasn't great earlier in the year, but he's been fantastic in 2018.

The reason he might be available, is that his play has been good enough to warrant a decent pay increase. He's going to warrant a $6 million contract, maybe more on the open market, and I'm not sure we've got the space, plus Travis Dermott has emerged and looks to be a very good LHD for the future. I'm not going to suggest a package that I think might work, but he might be on the market at some point.

member 290103

Ekman-Larsson is the best defenseman they could possibly get and where he has a shot of being a Norris candidate. I'd do something like RNH for OEL. If they also somehow land Faulk and Skinner, then I say they could get in the playoffs.

RNH for OEL? LOL. Ok. John Chayka suddenly turns into a drooling moron, and then I guess that could happen.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

interfere with (something) in order to cause damage or make unauthorized alterations.

Which means Oilers would be causing damage to the Drafts credibility of being a fair and just system for all teams participating. So yes tampering is the correct word.

And if they won a first overall again you can honestly say in a straight face other fan bases wouldn’t be upset? Both conspiracy and tampering would be the correct words on the draft system.

The draft lottery has lost all credibility already then, as the NHL has been tampering with the odds for years.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
The draft lottery has lost all credibility already then, as the NHL has been tampering with the odds for years.

I wouldn’t go that far. I still have a slight hope it isn’t being tampered with. But if Oilers get another first overall pick this draft. I’ll join the upset clubs about Conspiracy who is hoping for Dahlin. That would be 5 times In the past 8 years they have drafted first overall.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
pass. but, counter:

To NJ: Adam Larsson
To EDM: Nico Hischier, Conditional* 5th round pick

* If Chiarelli is fired as a result, 5th round pick becomes 2nd round pick

Don’t need more centres, but that’s a good offer.

Moore is just more of what we already have - middling LHD that don’t excel anywhere.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

How are "they" (the Oilers) interfering with anything if they win the lottery? They have a fixed percentage based on where they finish, as do the other 14 teams in the lottery. The lottery itself is operated by an independent accounting firm. Where does this "tampering" exist?

The fact that the Oilers are in this (sadly) familiar position has nothing to do with some hidden agenda, simply horrible coaching and management.

I'll also remind you the Oilers have only won 3 lotteries, one being where they finished dead last (2010 Hall). So really, 2 lottery wins where they actually moved up (2012, 2015), the same amount as New Jersey in that same time frame (since 2010).

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Does the media generate these bad ideas so they possibly happen? Trading isn’t the answer. You have mcdavid and will receive another great player. Be patient lol

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Hahaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad