Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Shouldn't be 3-0 for Rags, fight me!

No but seriously it's so close i think Canes get at least 2 before folding over. And if and when they will, i wanna see Stars - Rangers finals, would be awesome.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Where did the thread "Panarin is a bust again in the playoffs" disappear? I want to have a laugh. 4 goals and all 4 are GWGs!

Shouldn't be 3-0 for Rags, fight me!

No but seriously it's so close i think Canes get at least 2 before folding over. And if and when they will, i wanna see Stars - Rangers finals, would be awesome.
Stars are not getting past Colorado.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Rangers are lucky. There's no two ways to go about it. That's what you have to count on to advance.

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
Kochetkov played great, Rangers could have easily scored 2 or 3 more. But it's all luck and Igor.
1000002763.jpg

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Not exactly 40, but Tampa were outshot by the Canes by 25 over games 1 and 2 in 2021 (12.5 vs 13.3 S/G). Vegas were outshot by 29 over three games by the Oilers last year.

SOG tallying was a thing 10 years ago. Filipovic on the PDOcast repeatedly brings up how ironic it is that the analytics community complained for years that broadcasts didn't show the shot tallies at all times, yet by the time the broadcasters did so they've come to the conclusion that they may not only be irrelevant but even actively misleading. NHL goalies and people who work with them seem unanimous in that the new NHL is a nightmare for goalies compared with just a few years ago, why? Most teams no longer give them easy shots. They used to get 30 a night where 15-20 were routine saves and only 5 truly difficult ones. Nowadays they see 20 but 10 are dangerous, and without getting the rhythm from the easy ones it's harder to make the difficult saves as well.

The Canes are playing perfect 2010's hockey but are getting beat by one of the epitomes of 2020's hockey. I would be surprised if the Rangers' way of playing isn't heavily influenced by ClearSight's analytics, they are one of the best at both utilizing and preventing the royal road pass, while having little issue letting Shesterkin see a little rubber from the outside. Now, the Canes are amazing at 2010's hockey so the games are close but pointing at the shot clock and saying "Canes dominate, Rongos lucky" is just facile.

Tl;dr obnoxiously summarized by @huerter; "new meta"
The new meta isn’t about making it difficult for the goalie. It’s about making it impossible for the goalie.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Rangers fan's are worse than Leafs fan's...
Rangers fan's what are worse than Leafs fan's what?

We are semi overdue for a 3-0 lead to be blown by NHL standards. At least its been awhile since someone even got a 3-0 back to 7, we had someone recently get it to 6, maybe Vegas last year was up 3-0 and won 4-2 I think
I think this may be the only post I've seen in this series where you didn't mention something about how losing a game would be the best thing for the Rangers! I swear you're obsessed with that idea!

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Its wild the script is playing out almost identical to last year for the Canes. Down 0-3 and every game has been close/could go either way….
I’m cheering for you Jerks fans… keep the faith alive!

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Appreciate that you can see it. I expected to log in today to a bunch of fellow Canes jumping on me. But to my surprise that didn't much happen.

Anyway I really think they should strongly reconsider extending his contract.

I want a coach that makes the most of our abilities as a team, that can see and make adjustments game to game in the playoffs and implement them.

I appreciate what RBA has done helping to turn the franchise around, and especially appreciate what he did as a player, but we've gone as far as we can go with him as coach, unless something miraculous happens and he actually makes an adjustment , we will be swept just like these arrogant rags fans anticipate.

I would like nothing more than to tell them to shove it, and that they 'got lucky.' but the reality isn't that. So we get humiliated and another team gets to celebrate early while they dance on our grave and mock us.

Not that it bothers me that much. Nothing the Rags fans can say that can make me more humiliated that losing over and over to the same team, and not even trying one thing different.

The only move RBA made that was different was to put Kochetkov over Chokersen, doing backflips in net cause he can't seem to keep an edge.

Other than that, I have seen no evidence that RBA can or maybe simply to stubborn or lazy to make between game adjustments that allow our strengths to shine and their strengths to regress.

All I know is I want 100 sog, more separation, stop trying to get into the goal crease. With size (Rags) comes reach. You aren't going to beat them with an undersized team playing a traditional offense style.

I want to see 1-2 long pass out on the perimeter and the point then shoot, then collapse on scrum for the rebound. That's how we beat a team as Long as the rags... Or at least that's what will give us the best chance.

But at this point I fully expect no adjustments , and to get swept sadly. But I am a true fan so I will sit through it. I'm not gonna abandon my team like these jackasses at PNC selling their tickets to Rags fans.
Maybe they had their doubts too. I don't know your team too well so I can't discuss it in depth.

Reactions: StrmSurge

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Rangers fan's are worse than Leafs fan's...

Its only the transplant fake fans...prior to maybe 15-20 years ago when people in the states began moving more for jobs vs staying where they were born for the most part pre 2000s you did not have this contingency of fake fans...now you see them more. The Nationals in baseball had a stupidly high number of them whereas say in 1992 when nobody lived in northern Virginia outside of native Virginians that team would have had no fan base whatsoever. The real NYR fans live in Connecticut/Long Island/Westchester. The ones from Brooklyn/Queens/Manhattan are suspect at best. This is largely why the NHL can expand to ATL again, whereas in 1999-2011 the city was largely native Atlantans that is not the case anymore. You can get all the Midwest/Northeast transplants who either don't have a team or can secondarily route for them vs DET/CHI/BOS/NYR to become fans.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Playoff performance that's not getting talked about much:

Alexis Lafreniere
Currently T-2nd in playoffs in Points at 5v5
T-15th in playoffs in Points at All Strengths

3rd in the playoffs in P/60 at 5v5
4th in the playoffs in P/60 at All Strengths

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I was told goaltending doesn't matter in the playoffs,that anyone can get hot.I would love to see an above average goalie get hot like Igor has.He's absolutely dialed in and almost unbeatable

Reactions: HolyHagelin

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Reactions: Summer Rose

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Is it likely the Canes come back?

Obviously, no.

That said, 4 one-goal games is basically 4 coin flips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad