Friedman: The Oilers Offseason Priority

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes, you poor things. It must be terrible for the Oiler fans. I mean you've have only had 4 1OA's, one of them being McDavid, and one of them will most likely win the Hart this year, you have Drai, and RNH. Yes, it's been so very difficult for you. I meaning getting all the high end talent for the last 9 years, while teams like the Coyotes get your scraps is deserving of our sympathy?

Do you guys ever stop to think of the talent you have received from the draft....at what point do you guys kick back and say..."yup, we have been given every opportunity to be great but we just keep ****ing it up"? When does that happen instead of the "Poor us, bad drafts" **** that gets thrown around here all the time?

Are you new? We know why we're still bad. Everyone does. We hate our management because of everything you have said - despite all of the talent, we are still not good. So I don't understand the point if your rambling here. We know full well more than you do that our team should be better than we are.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Are you new? We know why we're still bad. Everyone does. We hate our management because of everything you have said - despite all of the talent, we are still not good. So I don't understand the point if your rambling here. We know full well more than you do that our team should be better than we are.

That's kind of my point though......having to listen to "we deserve another first overall, well, because" gets pretty old coming from a team that collects them like stamps. Maybe another team deserves some of the talent, no?

Reactions: Stickpucker

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's kind of my point though......having to listen to "we deserve another first overall, well, because" gets pretty old coming from a team that collects them like stamps. Maybe another team deserves some of the talent, no?
Do you seriously see many Oil fans say that we deserve another 1st overall? I don't. Of course we want one. Every fan in the league should want Dahlin. We think it would be funny because of reactions tgat would happen from everyone else. But I don't think many, even of our most delsuional fans, would say that we deserve another one. You seem to be raving over something that doesn't exist friend.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Do you seriously see many Oil fans say that we deserve another 1st overall? I don't. Of course we want one. Every fan in the league should want Dahlin. We think it would be funny because of reactions tgat would happen from everyone else. But I don't think many, even of our most delsuional fans, would say that we deserve another one. You seem to be raving over something that doesn't exist friend.

i think its funny but not to piss off other fans and media.....(that would be a bonus) but because the NHL designed a Pejorative Slured system to try and stop tanking teams from getting the 1st overall because of a knee jerk reaction to the Oilers.

It was a dumb idea from a handful of neanderthal cronies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
i think its funny but not to piss off other fans and media.....(that would be a bonus) but because the NHL designed a ******ed system to try and stop tanking teams from getting the 1st overall because of a knee jerk reaction to the Oilers.

It was a dumb idea from a handful of neanderthal cronies.

That's yet another bonus. I think someone had figured out that if they didn't monkey with the system we wouldn't have gotten McDavid at all, ha ha.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

Then I suggest you spend more time on your game day threads.....

Because three things become very apparent when going through them.

1) McPoints
2) Fallin for Dahlin
3) Losses are good because it means there is a better chance that TMac and Chia are gone

Read many, many times that he is just what the Oilers need! A PMD man!! Him and McDavid will put up 150 points.

Now I can agree with you that a large portion don't feel you deserve him, but you all will love the shit storm it would cause if you did win the lottery.

I'm not ranting about the talent you guys have accumulated, that's not it. You guys legitimately sucked for a decade and got great draft picks. Now what you've done with it is a whole other story! It's the attitude of many of your fan base that some how feel that you would deserve Dahlin because you've sucked for so long. That's bullshit. You guys were rewarded with McDavid. You shouldn't need anything else, nothing. The idea that just one more 1OA will do the trick is upsetting. There are teams out there that are trying to build competitive teams without the aid of a 1OA, let alone 4....potentially 5.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Our Gm and team is so utterly clueless, the fans identify problems with this team a good two years before the front office light bulb goes on.
Many Oiler fans knew the following this past off season, the need for a reliable backup goalie, a winger to make up for Eberles 20 plus goals and 50 plus points and an offensive defenceman. The last one we have been calling for, for about three years or more.

The Oilers needed and offensive, puck mover PP guy more than they needed and Adam Larson type.

As far as who they can get? I don't expect much.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Our Gm and team is so utterly clueless, the fans identify problems with this team a good two years before the front office light bulb goes on.
Many Oiler fans knew the following this past off season, the need for a reliable backup goalie, a winger to make up for Eberles 20 plus goals and 50 plus points and an offensive defenceman. The last one we have been calling for, for about three years or more.

The Oilers needed and offensive, puck mover PP guy more than they needed and Adam Larsson type.

As far as who they can get? I don't expect much.
They needed both. But the PP guy wasn't really going to move the needle as much defensively. Larsson was a godsend to the defense last season. Our ability to defend against some of the tougher teams who used to regularly shred us was a big reason for our success.

I assume with no one other than Nurse to get signed this summer, they'll have more time to actively address their needs this summer. But I'm not certain we'll see the kind of Earth shattering moves some seem to be expecting.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
It’s coming. Ever since Keith Gretzky has taken over drafting duties things are definitely looking up.

2015 draft yielded Bear, who’s already made his NHL debut, and Jones and Marino both of whom have NHL upside.

2016 draft looks good, with Benson, Berglund, Wells, McPhee, and Rasanen all looking like good selections.

2017 draft was solid as well, with Yamamoto, Skinner, Maksimov, Safin, and Samorukov progressing well and Kemp looking like an outright steal.

The problem with a thing like drafting (which, yes, we’ve sucked at for years) is its really 4-5 years before any real progress is noticeable, and everything I’ve said above could be completely null and void if these guys hit the pro ranks and fall on their faces.

To me an absolute must is a total revamp of the player development and coaching sides of things in Bakersfield. The only non first rounders to come out of that squad in the last ... well, ever - are Jujhar Khaira and Brandon Davidson. That’s simply not good enough, when teams like the Jets and Pens and Bruins have young guys kicking the door in. One guy leaves, and three are ready to take his place.

You’ll also see under Keith Gretzky we’ve almost entirely gone away from ‘risky’ guys. Over the years we got screwed quite badly by drafting and developing Euros only have them bail and jump back overseas - Rajala, Omark, Hartikainen, Yakimov, Zharkov, Perhonen, Gustavsson, Lander - that’s a lot of guys and a lot of 2nd to 4th round picks to eventually amount to absolute squat.

This was an interesting post to me. Maybe Gretzky's grown as a scouting director and has more resources to work with.

I did a retrospective of Keith Gretzky's tenure as Coyotes head of amateur scouting from 2007-2011 five years after his departure to get a sense for how he did against the rest of the league. Take a look at the Coyotes picks during 07-11:
Phoenix Coyotes Draft History at hockeydb.com

Particularly look after the 1st round. A very mediocre job, particularly considering this was supposed to be the major phase of a rebuild. Not a lot of players with 100+ NHL games drafted after the 1st.

OTOH, their scouting shop was about as bare bones as you can get, considering they were on NHL life support. If drafting is just rolling the dice, Gretzky rolled just below average at a time when the Coyotes desperately needed a little better luck.

Not that that means anything for the future.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The gap between Schlemko and the names being mentioned here is massive. Why would a team that needs production from D-men be after a guy whose career high is 19 points.
Because it’s not all about points when talking about an offensive D. It’s about getting out of their own zone. Also I specifically said as a BUY LOW option. Not to play on their top pair. Just because Schlemko is no OEL or Karlsson doesn’t mean he’s bad.

Also like I said before I feel like any trade for a number 1 D will destroy the little amount of depth the Oilers have.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Because it’s not all about points when talking about an offensive D. It’s about getting out of their own zone. Also I specifically said as a BUY LOW option. Not to play on their top pair. Just because Schlemko is no OEL or Karlsson doesn’t mean he’s bad.

Also like I said before I feel like any trade for a number 1 D will destroy the little amount of depth the Oilers have.
I got that. It's just that they seem like they need a higher impact puck mover on the back end.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I got that. It's just that they seem like they need a higher impact puck mover on the back end.
Schlemko was actually great with the Sharks. He might not have put up many points but he was solid defensively and great at moving the puck. This allowed our forwards to stay in the offensive zone more and generate more chances.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
You guys are overestimating Chia.

Trades Lucic and 1st for Gudbrandson and Sutter.

Trades Klefbom and retained Sekera for a mediocre prospect and pick.

Signs Carlson to a 70 million dollar contract. Carlson craps the bed because he really aint a number 1 or 2 even.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I was choked but understanding of the deal assuming we got a first plus another aset...

Hearing it was 1 for 1 made me ****ing livid.

Yep, me too. My exact response when my buddy texted me was ‘Okay, Larsson’s a good piece... what else?’

I was pretty angry when it was nothing else. Same with Strome/Eberle. Chia just seems like he doesn’t like negotiating / grinding to get extra assets.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
You guys are overestimating Chia.

Trades Lucic and 1st for Gudbrandson and Sutter.

Trades Klefbom and retained Sekera for a mediocre prospect and pick.

Signs Carlson to a 70 million dollar contract. Carlson craps the bed because he really aint a number 1 or 2 even.

You forgot Lucic returns to form. That is key for any Lucic trade scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad