Friedman: The Oilers Offseason Priority

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Trolling right? You do know that Melnyk doesn't allow the Sens to spend to the cap, right? He's also the reason an elite defenceman may be leaving this summer. There's literally billboards in Ottawa with "Melnyk Out" written on them. Ownership has not been a problem for the Oilers under Katz.
:facepalm: Just because the Oilers' ownership problems are being a tad outdone by the epic clownshow that has been Eugene Melnyk's ownership of the Sens doesn't mean that those problems don't exist.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
You can criticize Looch for a lot of things, but to suggest his muscle isn't muscle makes you look foolish. The guy is in great shape. It's just the wrong kind of shape.

Ok so the MAXIMUM, amount of muscle a non steroid using adult male can put on in a life time is 35 to 45 lbs. The absolute maximum a non steroid using adult male can put on in a year is 2o-25 lbs and that's specifically in their first year of proper lifting. Looch is by no means a beginner to fitness so at most he's putting on 3-4 lbs of muscle in the offseason.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Oilers off-season should be easy.

1. Fire GM
2. Fire all the scouts
3. Fire the coaching staff
4. Hire new GM.
5. Hire new scouts
6. Hire new coaching staff
7. Wait to see if Tavares leaves the Islanders. If he does try to trade them RNH for a package of Nelson, Ho Sang and perhaps the later of their first rounders. I think they do that. You can't replace Tavares but RNH can step in and play a second center role there.

That's a good start.
You are way overvaluing RNH.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Trolling right? You do know that Melnyk doesn't allow the Sens to spend to the cap, right? He's also the reason an elite defenceman may be leaving this summer. There's literally billboards in Ottawa with "Melnyk Out" written on them. Ownership has not been a problem for the Oilers under Katz.
He doesn't spend to the cap the fans don't fill the building .Karlsson isn't being traded he'll sign an extension. Edmonton ownership isn't better than Ottawa

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Not much other option. Can’t continue to surround McDavid with Draisaitl, Nuge, and garbage. Can’t have continue with defence consisting of Larsson, an inconsistent Klefbom, an up and coming Nurse, and more garbage. Can’t continue to play Talbot 70 games a year, no matter how often the refrain is ‘but he likes to play that much!’. Can’t continue to give the coaching staff responsible for some of the worst special teams in NHL history any more leeway.

Daryl Katz got a taste of playoff revenue last season and is apparently furious that the team is where it is. There are reports that he wanted McLellan fired after we got waxed by Dallas in November.

Chiarelli gambled on this depleted roster being good enough minus Eberle, Pouliot, Hendricks, no backup goalie, no forward depth, and Sekera missing 50 games and being a shell of his former self. He lost big time and now he’s going to make shortsighted moves trading high picks and young players to save his own skin. It’ll probably work short term and I can definitely see the Oilers back in the playoffs next year, but long term it’s going to **** us and **** us hard.

The Oilers need to do what Brian Burke did with the Canucks in 2001

For those who don't remember, Burke had assembled The Sedins (Not yet great) Bertuzzi, Naslund, Morrison, Castles, Jovonoski, Ohlund, Salo and in another week Trevor Linden would be back,

Apparently, Washington had turned down Burke's latest attempt to re-acquire Linden, and the team after having returned to the playoffs a year prior was stumbling out of the gate and out of a playoff spot, perhaps the team was tentative and waiting to see if the rumored Linden deal would happen and who would be leaving if it did but regardless of the reason, the team sucked, this was pre-cap, John McCaw owned the team and they were on a fixed budget.

So, the team sucked, Burke came to the locker room after a loss and said "There's nothing else I can do, this is the team I've put together, and on paper, you guys should be good, there's no more budget space for me to get you any help and I'm not trading any of just to trade you, you've got a Stanley Cup-winning coach so I'm not firing him, YOU GUYS need to figure it out because no one is going anywhere and if someone is getting the axe it will be me, so FIGURE IT OUT"

Within days he finally managed the Linden deal, at that point, the team knew there weren't going to be any other trades and they were either going to win or they were going to lose, but nobody was getting out.

So with no other options.....They started to win and the West Coast Express era began...

This is what the Oilers need, THEY DON'T NEED TO MAKE any more TRADES, for christ sake THEY HAVE ALL THE TALENT THEY NEED

They HAVE a talented blue line, they HAVE FOUR TOP SIX CENTERS good god! That's the envy of the entire league,

Wingers? Give me a break......there are enough guys there that know how to play well enough to have Conor or Drai bounce in 20 goals off their
ass, TOUGH guys too, Lucic can do it, KASSIAN could do it,

The team has EVERYTHING THEY NEED

They just need to be told: "Guys, you've got the personal, you've got a great coach, great fans....now YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT WORK, no more trades, no more firings, FIGURE IT OUT.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

For those who don't remember, Burke had assembled The Sedins (Not yet great) Bertuzzi, Naslund, Morrison, Castles, Jovonoski, Ohlund, Salo and in another week Trevor Linden would be back,

Apparently, Washington had turned down Burke's latest attempt to re-acquire Linden, and the team after having returned to the playoffs a year prior was stumbling out of the gate and out of a playoff spot, perhaps the team was tentative and waiting to see if the rumored Linden deal would happen and who would be leaving if it did but regardless of the reason, the team sucked, this was pre-cap, John McCaw owned the team and they were on a fixed budget.

So, the team sucked, Burke came to the locker room after a loss and said "There's nothing else I can do, this is the team I've put together, and on paper, you guys should be good, there's no more budget space for me to get you any help and I'm not trading any of just to trade you, you've got a Stanley Cup-winning coach so I'm not firing him, YOU GUYS need to figure it out because no one is going anywhere and if someone is getting the axe it will be me, so FIGURE IT OUT"

Within days he finally managed the Linden deal, at that point, the team knew there weren't going to be any other trades and they were either going to win or they were going to lose, but nobody was getting out.

So with no other options.....They started to win and the West Coast Express era began...

This is what the Oilers need, THEY DON'T NEED TO MAKE any more TRADES, for christ sake THEY HAVE ALL THE TALENT THEY NEED

They HAVE a talented blue line, they HAVE FOUR TOP SIX CENTERS good god! That's the envy of the entire league,

Wingers? Give me a break......there are enough guys there that know how to play well enough to have Conor or Drai bounce in 20 goals off their
ass, TOUGH guys too, Lucic can do it, KASSIAN could do it,

The team has EVERYTHING THEY NEED

They just need to be told: "Guys, you've got the personal, you've got a great coach, great fans....now YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT WORK, no more trades, no more firings, FIGURE IT OUT.

Interesting take... I hadn't remembered that Burke story, thanks for that. That said:

1) I do agree most of the places are in place. We aren't, on paper, all that different than the team that took ANA to the 7th game in round 2 last year. If anything we should have improved based on age/maturity alone, but: Sekera was out, Talbot was human and we had no backup, Klefbom was human, Strome wasn't Eberle (until H2).... and despite playing the first 20 games with >700 shots on goal vs ~500 against,... were losing and losing confidence.
2) That said, the 2017 team was STILL an offensive RD who can run a PP short of contending, needed a backup to take the load off Talbot and relied to heavily on internal improvement.
3) So we are in summer 2018, pretty much where we were last year. We need to NET OUT: an RD, a decent winger, a decent backup... so that means our best chips are picks/prospects. If we trade a decent roster piece we'll still create a hole to be filled. (i.e. I am NOT confident with RNH traded unless we have a proven higher end scoring winger available by UFA).
4) That Vancouver team never became a real contender... they were always a piece short, goaltending if I recall... and once Lou came around, the WCE was fading... Similarly, the Oilers are at that difficult junction where you have to spend futures (or UFA $$$) to consolidate talent IN the lineup. Chia showed last summer he wasn't ready to spend the assets/money and thus by the time the trade deadline came around, in what should have been an improving year, it was too late. He thought we were a couple of TDL assets away from a cup, and he was wrong about where our team is. It is also true that the real asset we need(ed), an RD, wasn't available last summer.... this summer is different.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

this is not 2001.
Far more importance now in Defencemen, systems, coaching - all of which the Oilers are failing miserably at. And Todd McLellan is not a Stanley Cup winning coach

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Oilers are at that difficult junction where you have to spend futures (or UFA $$$) to consolidate talent IN the lineup. Chia showed last summer he wasn't ready to spend the assets/money and thus by the time the trade deadline came around, in what should have been an improving year, it was too late.

So why was Chiarelli balls out with deals like Lucic, Reinhart, Taylor Hall etc and then decide to make zero deals when the teams is failing?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Interesting take... I hadn't remembered that Burke story, thanks for that. That said:

1) I do agree most of the places are in place. We aren't, on paper, all that different than the team that took ANA to the 7th game in round 2 last year. If anything we should have improved based on age/maturity alone, but: Sekera was out, Talbot was human and we had no backup, Klefbom was human, Strome wasn't Eberle (until H2).... and despite playing the first 20 games with >700 shots on goal vs ~500 against,... were losing and losing confidence.
2) That said, the 2017 team was STILL an offensive RD who can run a PP short of contending, needed a backup to take the load off Talbot and relied to heavily on internal improvement.
3) So we are in summer 2018, pretty much where we were last year. We need to NET OUT: an RD, a decent winger, a decent backup... so that means our best chips are picks/prospects. If we trade a decent roster piece we'll still create a hole to be filled. (i.e. I am NOT confident with RNH traded unless we have a proven higher end scoring winger available by UFA).
4) That Vancouver team never became a real contender... they were always a piece short, goaltending if I recall... and once Lou came around, the WCE was fading... Similarly, the Oilers are at that difficult junction where you have to spend futures (or UFA $$$) to consolidate talent IN the lineup. Chia showed last summer he wasn't ready to spend the assets/money and thus by the time the trade deadline came around, in what should have been an improving year, it was too late. He thought we were a couple of TDL assets away from a cup, and he was wrong about where our team is. It is also true that the real asset we need(ed), an RD, wasn't available last summer.... this summer is different.

You are correct about the Canucks team, we didn't have the goaltending, but the team WAS a massive success, for several years there was no hotter ticket in the NHL and better money well spend, in a way that was the LAST great entertaining NHL team,

It was run and gun, fight, fight fight! Then you had the Sedins starting to develop, they would come onto the ice and just WOW the crowd with hockey that had never been seen before,

I wouldn't trade those years for a cup, if the alternative was a Devils type team......good god anyone who was around knew we had a BLAST!

But this isn't about the Canucks, it about the peculiar phenomenon known as the Oilers, who are actually VERY much like that old Canucks team except that their strength is in an even BETTER place, The Canucks were built from the wings (So its no surprise they never won anything, teams who aren't built from the top two center positions don't win cups)

The Oilers are stacked at center if the Penguins proved something last year its that if you have center ice on lockdown, everything else, EVEN DEFENSE is gravy

I'm sorry, I just don't buy that a power play with Mc David and Drai lives or dies by whether one of two D is right or left handed.....it really shouldn't matter, they should be able to run a top power play with you and me maning the points, ti think that those two talents can't make a powerplay work with Kleffbom and Sekera, or Nurse or even Larsson or Russtle or...take your pick

Its much like the problem in Buffalo, where people want to do ANYTHING but be honest about what the issue is, a Jerk-off owner can be a team killer, but the owner isn't in the dressing room and he's not on the ice.....whoever is on the ice the most and in the most important situations THAT'S who needs to pick it up.

That's Conor McDavid....nobody wants to point the finger at the Golden boy, but much like Eichel in Buffalo, the team's fortunes flow from him,

Eichel has been known to be selfish and a toxic presence since before he was drafted, his getting the GM and coach fired bore that out, he's not a player other players really like thus there's no team formation, just a bunch of individuals, mark my words Buffalo will go nowhere, Eichel needed to start with a situation like Sid did, Lemuiex surrounded him with no B.S respect commanding vets who told him what to do and what not to do, when he needed to hit or not hit, who and when he needed to fight,
Sid gained respect from his team-mates right away, he worked hardest, sacrificed more, was willing to fight for them and was able to pull the people around him into a team.

Conor needs to take a lot of blame for what happened this year, why is Lucic so disengaged? Why is he lobbying to play with Drai when while it may be "Fun" for him, its NOT right for the team,

Why, was he able to "turn on the jets" once the playoffs were out of sight and up his game to win a solo award but was NOT able to up his game enough to get his team into the playoffs, I was a little surprised to hear him say "Yeah, I'm going for the art ross" well, he sure got over that "Missing ther playoffs" pretty quickly,

The Oilers play like a leaderless team, they are disorganized mercurial and inconsistent, and that falls on Connor, we don't really know much about the guy, he's been protected by the media since he was a young teenager when he was already declared a superstar,

I just don't think Connor McDavid is a Sydney Crosby, I'm getting the impression he may be far too self centered, Sid wanted cups, he needed the TEAM to do that, Conor wants Art Ross trophies...he can do that by himself, maybe more easily with Drai on his line

I thought getting rid of Hall, would fix this problem for the Oilers, but what we've seen this year is NOT a lack of talent or incorrect player personnel moves

Its lack of LEADERSHIP, Conor Ain't getting it done, and he needs to be called out for it

As I don't want ever Oilers game maybe someone who does can answer a question for me: How is Conor without the puck, how is he at covering the defensive responsibilities of a center? Is he a Matt Duchene type who plays like a winger from center ice?, or is he a Crosby/Kopitar real deal 200 ft. center iceman,

We all know what he can do with the puck on his stick, but NOBODY in the media has EVER pointed out McDavid's weak points yet, who is he as a player? Highlight reels aside

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
this is not 2001.
Far more importance now in Defencemen, systems, coaching - all of which the Oilers are failing miserably at. And Todd McLellan is not a Stanley Cup winning coach

Defencemen....systems....coaching

Boy, I can sure tell you've played the game

I don't think I said TM was a cup winner, I was referring to Mark Crawford, regardless, he's an excellent coach, who knows and teaches "Systems" to his very talented "Defencemen"

Oh.....and Yes, I know its not 2001......but do you think maybe you should have read past the first sentence to see what it was that took place in 2001 that might benefit the Oilers? Because its clear you didn't.

Telling a team they can't count on personal changes to fix their fortunes and that they have sufficient talent in the room to win, so the onus is now on THEM to start playing up to the standard they set. Is not in anyway, a time-dependent message, thus it doesn't matter whether it took place in 2001 or last Wednesday......you rebutted a comment you hadn't read or didn't comprehend

How millennial of you, I bet pronouns offend you greatly

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Karlsson sounds great. Imagine, Karlsson and McDavid on same line?! Not fair!

Add that ego to the room......IDK, is Karlson a real leader? Or a selfish guy?

I don't know the answer, if he's a leader he may be exactly what you need, if he's just another individual star it will be a disaster

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Telling a team they can't count on personal changes to fix their fortunes and that they have sufficient talent in the room to win

they already did that this past year - and the Oilers sank.

On Nov 28th Chiarelli said he wasn't blowing up the team, but that he wasn't going to be patient with this group the entire year. He added that they expect to make moves to "get out of it"
Then, with the players expecting some moves Chiarelli did absolutely nothing to "get out of it"
I'm sure they players were expecting some help to come in on the blue line, or on wing, or in goal. They got zilch. So the players were getting mixed messages from the GM.

On February 23rd Chiarelli stated he wanted to see "progress" for the rest of the season. They went .500. Progress?
He also wanted to see Puljujarvi play more. Since that comment, Puljujarvi's ice time went from 16.7mins/game in the first 43 games, to 12.4/game in the final 22. Predictably, Puljujarvi scored only 5 points in the remaining 22 games.

So when leadership tells you one thing and does the exact opposite, what message does that send to the players?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
they already did that this past year - and the Oilers sank.

On Nov 28th Chiarelli said he wasn't blowing up the team, but that he wasn't going to be patient with this group the entire year. He added that they expect to make moves to "get out of it"
Then, with the players expecting some moves Chiarelli did absolutely nothing to "get out of it"
I'm sure they players were expecting some help to come in on the blue line, or on wing, or in goal. They got zilch. So the players were getting mixed messages from the GM.

On February 23rd Chiarelli stated he wanted to see "progress" for the rest of the season. They went .500. Progress?
He also wanted to see Puljujarvi play more. Since that comment, Puljujarvi's ice time went from 16.7mins/game in the first 43 games, to 12.4/game in the final 22. Predictably, Puljujarvi scored only 5 points in the remaining 22 games.

So when leadership tells you one thing and does the exact opposite, what message does that send to the players?

Thats where Chia went wrong. He could have made zero moves and just stated that and Oilers may be better off today.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My 2 cents is Oilers should play hard for De Haan. I don't think it's a coincidence Islanders fortunes took a wrong turn when he got injured. he probably can help stabilize their defense. He also has a habit of making his partners look better then they are(so you can pair him with Larsson or Nurse)

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Thats where Chia went wrong. He could have made zero moves and just stated that and Oilers may be better off today.

exactly,
Had he only drafted players instead of trying to sign and trade for them the Oilers would be better served.
Looking for fast wingers that can score? Eberle, Hall
Looking for a right shot puck-moving defenseman? Justin Schultz
Looking for a potential #1 D? Trade up and draft one: Hanifin, Werenski, Provorov, Sergachev, McAvoy, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad