Friedman: The Oilers Offseason Priority

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
4. Entering Wednesday’s games, Edmonton had 127 points from defencemen, 27th in the NHL. (Nashville is best, at 195.) That is something the Oilers will address in the off-season. It’s a priority.

Will they trade their pick for a guy like Faulk? Or use RNH as an asset?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If they’re looking for a high end point producing defenceman / outlet pass guy, Faulk, whose last three seasons are 37, 37, and 31 points (and 20, 21, and 23 assists) is the absolute wrong direction to go. IMO, he was never that good to start with, has gotten worse, and is a defensive liability.

I also think the pick is more likely to be moved than RNH.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If they’re looking for a high end point producing defenceman / outlet pass guy, Faulk, whose last three seasons are 37, 37, and 31 points (and 20, 21, and 23 assists) is the absolute wrong direction to go. IMO, he was never that good to start with, has gotten worse, and is a defensive liability.

I also think the pick is more likely to be moved than RNH.
Agreed. I think the primary target is going to be Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Not saying we get him, the price might be too steep, but you just know that the Oil are going to offer up something good for him. Plus I want to hear to commentators go insane calling an OEL-Adam Larsson pairing.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think they need a good top 6 winger and a puck moving RHD.

Hopefully they use their 2018 1st 1st to fill one of the holes, and make a trade to fill the other

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The two fanbases on here will never agree on value, but it sounds like they could use Tyson Barrie. I wouldn’t trade Barrie unless he prices himself out of town, though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed. I think the primary target is going to be Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Not saying we get him, the price might be too steep, but you just know that the Oil are going to offer up something good for him. Plus I want to hear to commentators go insane calling an OEL-Adam Larsson pairing.

That’s my fear. OEL is definitely better than Faulk by a long shot, but I don’t think he’s the top 15 defenceman everyone makes him out to be. I fear that we’re going to overpay, and it’s going to take some significant cap gymnastics in terms of retaining on players or outright buyouts to fit him in long term - at very least finding new homes for at least two of Lucic, Sekera, and Russell - all of whom have NMC’s.

I think we’ll probably do something foolish like Klefbom+2018 1st + Puljujarvi for OEL, who we’ll then have to negotiate an extension with, + MIN 2nd + some other mediocre roster player or prospect.

Reactions: TrentonF

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It blows my mind that they traded almost as much for Reinhart as the Flames traded for Hamilton (on the same day, I believe).

Reactions: DarthProbert

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That’s my fear. OEL is definitely better than Faulk by a long shot, but I don’t think he’s the top 15 defenceman everyone makes him out to be. I fear that we’re going to overpay, and it’s going to take some significant cap gymnastics in terms of retaining on players or outright buyouts to fit him in long term - at very least finding new homes for at least two of Lucic, Sekera, and Russell - all of whom have NMC’s.

I think we’ll probably do something foolish like Klefbom+2018 1st + Puljujarvi for OEL, who we’ll then have to negotiate an extension with, + MIN 2nd + some other mediocre roster player or prospect.
He is. He's a legit #1.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
oilers have said they are going to win now. they will trade picks and do what it takes.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He is. He's a legit #1.

I just don’t see him as an elite #1 though. The production has been there on some horrific Coyotes squads but he’s lacking in other areas that make me question him a bit.

Of course, the ‘his team’s been horrible so his value has dropped’ tax seems to only apply to Oilers, so what do I know?

Reactions: TrentonF

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I doubt you get a #1 with the pieces the Oilers are willing to give up.
The Oilers are willing to give up a lot of different pieces it looks like. A top 10 pick in this draft, probably our 1st next year and/or our 2nd this year. Nuge. Klefbom. I don't really agree that all of these parts should be available, but I think they are, and they are good pieces.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I doubt you get a #1 with the pieces the Oilers are willing to give up.

A top ten pick, Klefbom, and a young forward? Cmon now.

The only pieces off the table in Edmonton are McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nurse. Some combination of ‘18 and ‘19 first rounders, Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Benson, RNH/Klefbom, and smaller adds like Caggiula/Khaira (who I personally would have unavailable) would get Edmonton into the conversation for just about anyone, Karlsson included.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Oilers are willing to give up a lot of different pieces it looks like. A top 10 pick in this draft, probably our 1st next year and/or our 2nd this year. Nuge. Klefbom. I don't really agree that all of these parts should be available, but I think they are, and they are good pieces.
You’re not wrong that they’re good pieces. Do they really get one of OEL or Karlsson though? OEL possibly/probably, Karlsson doubtful to say the least. Those are the only two 1Ds that I can see somewhat available.

Also how many of your D are actually going to be there next season? Genuinely curious here. Seems like you got your top 4 set with Nurse, Sekera, Larsson, Klefbom. Also I think your best bet is to hope Klefbom steps up because wasn’t he pretty disappointing offensively? Same goes for Larsson

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
True. Plus if the Oilers pick Boqvist this year, they won’t give up what it takes to get Barrie if they can instead wait a few years for Boqvist to develop.

Waiting a couple of years for a defensman to develop (aside from Dahlin) probably isn't the right path for the Oilers - they need to stop wasting precious years of the best player in the world in McDavid. If OEL indicates he won't re-sign with Arizona then Edmonton should go all in on that one. If Karlsson is available I think Melnyk's determined to ship Ryan along with him, so unless the Oilers can pull of a three-way trade he's probably a no.

In regards to Barrie, I personally don't think he should be moved under any condition barring an incredible return. With EJ's injury problems he's a must (otherwise the top RHD is Alt...), not to mention he's the best scorer on the Avs aside from the top line. He's only around his prime now, and on pace for 68 points over 82....Avs need to keep that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad