The Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
although I never lived in AZ, I did visit is often about 10 years back. I visited in each "season" (well, during hockey season). Obviously it's spectacular in Dec/Jan when I mostly visited). I did visit once in the summer (June or July) just for fun and while it was hot, the low humidity was much more bearable (I grew up in Eastern Iowa).

In terms of other possible locations to move to (if AZ doesn't work for you), I completed my student teaching near Seattle (Aug-Dec) and it was awesome. The benefit is that you have everything within 2-4 hours (high desert, rain forest, mountains). After living there, I determined that I would retire to WA; unfortunately, with climate shifts, it may not be as appealing these days (I was there around 1997). It did rain more than Iowa, but it wasn't too bad for me (I don't mind rain)

Currently, I live in southern PA, and like it. It's similar to Iowa, but much less harsh winters (I believe we might have gotten down to the teens once this winter so far--we have hovered around the mid-upper 30s and low 40s mostly this winter), I've lived here for about 12 years and I think we only got down to negatives once or twice (and only for a few days--"low" negatives that is--around -9 or -10 but without active winds). We do get a fair amount of snow (compared to eastern Iowa), but it is typically only 1-2 major storms a season (I ended up with around 10-12" of snow last week--the only major snow this season, again so far), but temps make it more bearable to clean up and still go about a relatively normal life.

I've lived in IA (mostly grew up there), WA (6 months), GA (~4 years), IN (1 year), NJ (5 years), and PA (~12 years) in the last 25 years and definitely prefer PA (feel free to ask me about any of the other states if you'd like). My advice (given your situation--if there is no rush) is to pin down a few places and visit them over the next couple of years at various seasons (if financially feasible) and then decide. If you have to make a decision soon, AZ is pretty safe bet (decent cost of living, plenty to do, and drive distance from various potential road trip options.

PA is pretty good as well (depending on your age/interests), but the cost of living is higher than AZ so keep that in mind for salary info. GA has a low cost of living, and plenty of social and occupational opportunities (my brother lives there), but is similar to FL in terms of weather (GA doesn't get quite as humid). I envy you in your journey. I have applied to AZ for a few jobs over the years, but haven't received much beyond one phone interview (probably due in part to distance since my field typically helps pay--or fully covers--travel for final candidates). Of course, at this point, I'm hoping to retire in 10 years (if feasible), so AZ is off the list presently, but I'll revisit it in 5 years.

If I go somewhere I'm definitely going somewhere warm. San Diego (from my understanding) is about as close to perfection on earth but I don't think I could afford it and for other reasons I won't get into here I would never want to live in CA.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
If I go somewhere I'm definitely going somewhere warm. San Diego (from my understanding) is about as close to perfection on earth but I don't think I could afford it and for other reasons I won't get into here I would never want to live in CA.

I would recommend against NJ for the same reason (cost of living), along with the obvious crappy weather up that way. I've visited San Diego, but it's too populated for my taste (similar to NJ). I was looking at a position in Sitka (Alaska) a few years ago. It seemed interesting (it's way south in Alaska so it would have weather similar although slightly cooler to Vancouver/Seattle--based on my research). Of course cost of living would be an issue there as well.

Still, I'd pick AZ over CA or other warmer areas (Nevada might be promising, I know a few people that have moved out there). But, yeah, definitely check out AZ in the summer if you have the luxury of waiting before relocating. I know I liked the Flagstaff area (climate wise) when I visited once or twice on my trips to AZ.

I also enjoyed the Tempe/Mesa area (around Phoenix), but again that was about 10-15 years ago; things change. The Glendale area seemed decent to me (at that time) as well, albeit a bit sparse. I was looking at properties (online) between Tucson and SE Phoenix a few years back, but I'd definitely defer to anyone in the area over my "virtual" explorations that far south of Phoenix.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hey There Coyotes Fans,

Rangers fan and I come in peace (not to propose Strome and Georgiev for Dvorak trades promise lol).

I need the DL on Tuscon other than the usual google "things to do". What's unique and special? Like the secrets only people who have lived there/surrounding areas know about?

Bonus for anything and everything vegan too.

Thanks for the 411 and I can confirm the Roo in my post has nothing to do with #28 on the Flyers as I often get asked :)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Hey There Coyotes Fans,

Rangers fan and I come in peace (not to propose Strome and Georgiev for Dvorak trades promise lol).

I need the DL on Tuscon other than the usual google "things to do". What's unique and special? Like the secrets only people who have lived there/surrounding areas know about?

Thanks for the 411 and I can confirm the Roo in my post has nothing to do with #28 on the Flyers as I often get asked :)

Unique and special... quite demanding. :D

Hmmm...Mt Lemmon is the southern most ski mountain in the continental US. That's unique. Of course, if you are going in August you can forget about that. But it's still a nice drive to the top, and there are some great hiking trails with 30 deg cooler temps.

Lindy's on 4th is a great casual burger place. They do have a black bean burger...not that I've tried it though.

Reactions: Roo Returns

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Unique and special... quite demanding. :D

Hmmm...Mt Lemmon is the southern most ski mountain in the continental US. That's unique. Of course, if you are going in August you can forget about that. But it's still a nice drive to the top, and there are some great hiking trails with 30 deg cooler temps.

Lindy's on 4th is a great casual burger place. They do have a black bean burger...not that I've tried it though.

Haha bro you can throw me in a dive bar and I wouldn't care. It's not for me. Thanks though I'm going to have a little down time to mess around solo and these are good looks.

eKardz

Mar 22, 2009
Holtsville, NY
Do you have a season ticket holder re-sale thread in this forum? We do on the Rangers board. Looking to get a pair for the 12/15 game in AZ. Hoping to buy directly from STH, and skip those third party sites. Thanks!

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Hey There Coyotes Fans,

It's probably too late, but I'll give a couple suggestions since I live in Tucson.

The Arizona Senora Desert Museum is a top 10 zoo/museum in the world because it's all local animals in their natural habitat. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tucson, AZ - Zoo, Botanical Garden and Art Gallery

Flandrau Planetarium is fun especially if you can get into one of the rock themed laser shows. I went to a Pink Floyd one years ago and it was awesome, and I think they're doing a Queen themed show right now but I haven't seen it. The Star of the Show | Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium

Lovin' Spoonfuls is the only vegan place I've eaten at in Tucson (cause I'm not vegan) and I liked it and it's been around forever so they must have a passionate clientelle. https://www.lovinspoonfuls.com/

Let me know if you are looking for anything else!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Do you have a season ticket holder re-sale thread in this forum? We do on the Rangers board. Looking to get a pair for the 12/15 game in AZ. Hoping to buy directly from STH, and skip those third party sites. Thanks!
There is not. Unfortunately not a lot of demand. Some folks offer up tickets in GDT's. I will be out of town much of December including 12/15. If the game comes around and you have not secured tickets I can offer up a single upper bowl ticket behind goal.

Reactions: eKardz

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It's probably too late, but I'll give a couple suggestions since I live in Tucson.

The Arizona Senora Desert Museum is a top 10 zoo/museum in the world because it's all local animals in their natural habitat. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tucson, AZ - Zoo, Botanical Garden and Art Gallery

Flandrau Planetarium is fun especially if you can get into one of the rock themed laser shows. I went to a Pink Floyd one years ago and it was awesome, and I think they're doing a Queen themed show right now but I haven't seen it. The Star of the Show | Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium

Lovin' Spoonfuls is the only vegan place I've eaten at in Tucson (cause I'm not vegan) and I liked it and it's been around forever so they must have a passionate clientelle. https://www.lovinspoonfuls.com/

Let me know if you are looking for anything else!

I did two of the three. The trip was not good. I don't think I'll ever be back in Arizona unless it's work-related or some episodic tv Star Trek meets The Wire "I'm here to solve a problem" situation.

The most impactful stories of who we are always involve romantic pursuits. Good or bad.

Thanks for the recs and glad I found Spoonfuls.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Looking at homes in the PHX area, as the new job is West Coast based and the wife and I absolutely love the desert and our visits to the city.

But if you are moving there with a family, I think Chandler, GIlbert, Mesa are all good areas, but is there another great suburb of Phoenix to raise a family? I need to be near the airport for work, so I want to be within an 45 minutes drive to there.

Thanks in advance.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Looking at homes in the PHX area, as the new job is West Coast based and the wife and I absolutely love the desert and our visits to the city.

But if you are moving there with a family, I think Chandler, GIlbert, Mesa are all good areas, but is there another great suburb of Phoenix to raise a family? I need to be near the airport for work, so I want to be within an 45 minutes drive to there.

Thanks in advance.

Arcadia if you can swing it. And then obviously Tempe if you can find a home. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more

Reactions: Eco

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Arcadia if you can swing it. And then obviously Tempe if you can find a home. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more
Cheers, I love running through Papago Park, and I think that is, or is near the Arcadia region.

My wife are coming in a month and after that, we'll probably get hooked up with a local real estate agent in the region, if you know anyone, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Thanks in advance.
For as much as we bellyache about driving in here, one quirk about Phoenix is that the airport is more or less at the center. So there's a *big* area within 45 minutes of the airport, if one is the least bit clever about scheduling flights.

I live in downtown Chandler and it's pretty reliably only 20 minutes to PHX.

Reactions: Eco

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Hey HFCoyotes

I wanted to stop by and say I really enjoyed taking in the Blues game last weekend at Gila River Arena and exploring a bit around Pheonix, Tempe, and Glendale. Met a lot of great people and enjoyed getting some insight about the move to Tempe for the team. I hope to get back soon to see a game not only at the ASU arena, but also when your future permanent home is built in the coming years!

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hey HFCoyotes

I wanted to stop by and say I really enjoyed taking in the Blues game last weekend at Gila River Arena and exploring a bit around Pheonix, Tempe, and Glendale. Met a lot of great people and enjoyed getting some insight about the move to Tempe for the team. I hope to get back soon to see a game not only at the ASU arena, but also when your future permanent home is built in the coming years!
So do we, fair visitor. So do we.

Reactions: mk80

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Hey HFCoyotes

Good luck in the Playoffs!

Reactions: mk80

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
One time I saw a guy playing the bagpipes.

Dam Neck Naval base.

A group of us were caravanning from NAS Oceana to the best private beach. As we entered the front gate we could hear something. We pulled off at Shifting Sands, the best Wednesday BBQ buffet in the military.

We pulled into an adjacent parking lot. Got out of our vehicles and just watched. The bag piper was on the 2nd floor of a big building with him on the deck.

3 or 4 cars worth of military guys just watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad