The Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Wickenberg is the far superior course imo. It's over 7000 from the Blacks with plenty of elevation changes. I am a 5 handicap and still get in some trouble there, lots of thinking shots. Google the community, the restaurant is very nice and not what you would expect from a course eatery .

Thank you far all the insight,appreciate it. Hoping the weather co-operates as was expecting it to be a little bit better,oh well.Played in snow many times including in AZ.

The restaurant at Wickenberg is Jakes? looks good indeed,surprised by some of the items available.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Hope it's OK to ask about those over zealous Border patrol check points,are they mobile or stationary? Got a bit surprised by them and had a bit of a hard time.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hope it's OK to ask about those over zealous Border patrol check points,are they mobile or stationary? Got a bit surprised by them and had a bit of a hard time.

Driving in from Mexico? I don't remember ever seeing them except for on I-8 (Yuma - Gila Bend) or I-19 (Tucson - Nogales)...but then again I don't drive around the state as much as I used to.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Driving in from Mexico? I don't remember ever seeing them except for on I-8 (Yuma - Gila Bend) or I-19 (Tucson - Nogales)...but then again I don't drive around the state as much as I used to.

Not this time,last time coming in from Puerto Penasco at the crossing,if not for the gift of gab,think a prostate exam was on the menu. Was going from Douglas to Bisbee along the 8 when a check point occurred. The car was visibly a rental yet the first question asked was if all American aboard and then asked for passports, which no one had. Things went swimmingly after that with the Asians and East Europeans with me.:thumbu:

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Not this time,last time coming in from Puerto Penasco at the crossing,if not for the gift of gab,think a prostate exam was on the menu. Was going from Douglas to Bisbee along the 8 when a check point occurred. The car was visibly a rental yet the first question asked was if all American aboard and then asked for passports, which no one had. Things went swimmingly after that with the Asians and East Europeans with me.:thumbu:

Okay, yeah, anywhere close to and parallel to the border you're liable to have that happen. I was on former US 80 east of San Diego once, just driving it at random, no one else on the highway for miles, and got pulled over. "Why am I here? Ummmm, no real reason, sir, just never been on this road before...I swear I'm American and have no sinister plans"

To answer your question then: they're mobile, although they probably don't move *that* often.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
My buddy and I are making our second trip to Glendale this weekend until Wednesday and will be catching the Pittsburgh and San Jose games. We will also be taking in Barrett Jackson. This is such a great trip at this time to be able to take in a couple of games and the auction. We had a great time last time - so much so that we are doing it again! Maybe we'll see some of you folks at the game.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
After 20 years of waiting, i am going to visit the Coyotes vs. Tampa and vs. Florida in a few days, with my wife, we are going for a road trip San Diego, L.A., Arizona, Vegas etc.!

My question to you guys:

Is there a good sports bar around the Gila River Arena? We are there very early and i am known as very thirsty ;-).

Any other important things i have to know as a visitor?!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
After 20 years of waiting, i am going to visit the Coyotes vs. Tampa and vs. Florida in a few days, with my wife, we are going for a road trip San Diego, L.A., Arizona, Vegas etc.!

My question to you guys:

Is there a good sports bar around the Gila River Arena? We are there very early and i am known as very thirsty ;-).

Any other important things i have to know as a visitor?!

Yard House is the best spot for drinking at Westgate. Best tap selection in the area. Their food is so-so and a bit pricey but that's typical given the location. They don't have Center Ice which is disappointing. That would be my recommendation if you show early. They fill up fast.

If you get stuck with the other establishments it won't wreck your time but if I am going to be killing time I go to a movie or get to Yard House.

Reactions: AJ171181

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Yard House is the best spot for drinking at Westgate. Best tap selection in the area. Their food is so-so and a bit pricey but that's typical given the location. They don't have Center Ice which is disappointing. That would be my recommendation if you show early. They fill up fast.

If you get stuck with the other establishments it won't wreck your time but if I am going to be killing time I go to a movie or get to Yard House.

thx for your advices!

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
What is it like (weather wise) in AZ in June and July?

I got a friend who just moved down there and he told me to move there. Curious if you guys do much down there in the Summer? Are you very active outside of your homes in the Summer?

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix

I got a friend who just moved down there and he told me to move there. Curious if you guys do much down there in the Summer? Are you very active outside of your homes in the Summer?
May through September we sit inside where it's air conditioned. Sometimes at night, if it dips down to 100 degrees, Phoenicians can be found playing in a hot swimming pool. People in humid climates will tell you that it's not that bad because there is little humidity in the air. A dry heat they say. Yup, dry like a bonfire.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You can do anything outside in the summer that you normally would do. You just have to get up at the break of dawn to do it. It's certainly possible.

It gets hot fast. It bothers me a bit more now as I'm getting older, but when I was younger it never phased us. Probably depends on how fit you are and how much you get bothered by sweat.

But for the most part, summer here is like living in Winnipeg where in the winter they go from heated house to heated car to heated work and back. Maybe to entertain themselves somewhere inside heated in their downtime. People here just go from AC to AC.

Reactions: Northerner

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
May through September we sit inside where it's air conditioned. Sometimes at night, if it dips down to 100 degrees, Phoenicians can be found playing in a hot swimming pool. People in humid climates will tell you that it's not that bad because there is little humidity in the air. A dry heat they say. Yup, dry like a bonfire.

...^and he's not kidding about going *down* to 100 degrees at night. It's not as bad in May and June, when it's still dry and it actually will cool off some, but in July-Sept, despite the humidity "only" being 20-30% (and the dewpoint - the better thing to watch - above 55), it's noticeable and holds the heat in at night.

However, despite being a landlocked desert, whereas people near lakes and oceans can go there to cool off in summer, there is another way to beat heat here, namely going *up*. No matter where you are in greater Phoenix you're no more than 2 hours away from 5000 ft elevation, which is good for 20 degrees off, sometimes more.

Reactions: Northerner

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Thanks guys.

Have any of you lived in cold climates? And do you prefer AZ to a cold climate?

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Thanks guys.

Yes. I'm from Minnesota. Lived there 34 years. I loved MPLS but I'd never move back. I'll take the heat over that shit any day.
Today is February 3rd and I needed the AC on in my office because it's 83°. Yesterday as well.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks guys.

I've lived in South Bend, Indiana, and Boston, Massachusetts, so I'm very familiar with both lake-effect blizzards and nor'easter storms, and I can categorically say that as ludicrously hot it gets here in the summer, it's infinitely preferable to a true winter.

I do miss seasons, though. Here, it's either mild or very very hot.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I'm originally from Michigan.

The heat is very dry so if you get in the shade or indoors, you can actually escape it. It's not like a humid hotness where it's so muggy and suffocating that you can never really get away from it.

It's not that bad. If you need to do yard work or something, you just avoid peak hours and too much exposure. Stay hydrated. That sort of thing.

Visit anytime from October to early April, you'll see what the fuss is about.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Yes. I'm from Minnesota. Lived there 34 years. I loved MPLS but I'd never move back. I'll take the heat over that shit any day.
Today is February 3rd and I needed the AC on in my office because it's 83°. Yesterday as well.

I've been in the Twin Cities proper my whole life.

The high temperature here for the next 10 days will be around 5 degrees (Tuesday, next week). It's the longest cold stretch since 2014.

I got a cousin in FL - there is nothing really keeping me anchored here anymore. So I will be able to go wherever I want I guess - in theory I could leave tomorrow.

Problem with FL: hurricanes. Humidity, too.

I just don't know that I would like temps in the 120s in AZ. I actually did meet someone who was an AZ expat. He was on the crew who installed our retaining wall a few years back. When I asked him why he left AZ for MN, he said it was too hot down there.

I guess when you get down to it, you really want what you don't have.

Truth be told I REALLY feel sorry for people in Winnipeg for the next 10 days. While it gets brutal in the Twin Cities, there is a whole other level brutality on the Iron Range and Manitoba. I've been to Manitoba in January when I went there for a hockey tournament. You want to talk about cold? -60 it was when we were there.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

The high temperature here for the next 10 days will be around 5 degrees (Tuesday, next week). It's the longest cold stretch since 2014.

I got a cousin in FL - there is nothing really keeping me anchored here anymore. So I will be able to go wherever I want I guess - in theory I could leave tomorrow.

Problem with FL: hurricanes. Humidity, too.

I just don't know that I would like temps in the 120s in AZ. I actually did meet someone who was an AZ expat. He was on the crew who installed our retaining wall a few years back. When I asked him why he left AZ for MN, he said it was too hot down there.

I guess when you get down to it, you really want what you don't have.

Truth be told I REALLY feel sorry for people in Winnipeg for the next 10 days. While it gets brutal in the Twin Cities, there is a whole other level brutality on the Iron Range and Manitoba. I've been to Manitoba in January when I went there for a hockey tournament. You want to talk about cold? -60 it was when we were there.

Are you still working? Phoenix isn't the only place to live in AZ. One thing I liked about the state is the diversity of terrain, wildlife, and climate. While the average July high in Phoenix is 106, it's only 100 in Tucson and 82 in Flagstaff. You might be thinking ONLY 100! 100F at low humidity is very pleasant. I lived for many years in Sierra Vista, AZ, a stone's throw from Mexico but at 5000' elevation. The summers are much milder and winter is very nice too.

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Are you still working? Phoenix isn't the only place to live in AZ. One thing I liked about the state is the diversity of terrain, wildlife, and climate. While the average July high in Phoenix is 106, it's only 100 in Tucson and 82 in Flagstaff. You might be thinking ONLY 100! 100F at low humidity is very pleasant. I lived for many years in Sierra Vista, AZ, a stone's throw from Mexico but at 5000' elevation. The summers are much milder and winter is very nice too.

I think my buddy moved to Sun City. Not sure where that is or what it's like.

I have a job. It's menial work. It's a Fortune 500 company and I believe we have a "footprint" in all 50 states so I think I could move just about anywhere if I play my cards right.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think my buddy moved to Sun City. Not sure where that is or what it's like.

I have a job. It's menial work. It's a Fortune 500 company and I believe we have a "footprint" in all 50 states so I think I could move just about anywhere if I play my cards right.

Sun City is large retirement community on the outskirts of Phoenix with essentially the same climate.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Sun City is large retirement community on the outskirts of Phoenix with essentially the same climate.

Yeah, his mom is there. He would be around that community somewhere so I'm guessing he's around Phoenix. He just moved down there and we haven't communicated a ton about it he just mentioned it's the place to be.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks guys.

I am from Michigan and have also lived in the Chicago burbs and northeastern PA. One benefit is the weather in Phoenix has little impact on your day. I have never missed work because of the heat, I have never spent hours shoveling the heat and the heat has not caused my car to spin out of control when I was driving home for returning VHS tapes to the video store on Christmas Eve!

Reactions: _Del_

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

although I never lived in AZ, I did visit is often about 10 years back. I visited in each "season" (well, during hockey season). Obviously it's spectacular in Dec/Jan when I mostly visited). I did visit once in the summer (June or July) just for fun and while it was hot, the low humidity was much more bearable (I grew up in Eastern Iowa).

In terms of other possible locations to move to (if AZ doesn't work for you), I completed my student teaching near Seattle (Aug-Dec) and it was awesome. The benefit is that you have everything within 2-4 hours (high desert, rain forest, mountains). After living there, I determined that I would retire to WA; unfortunately, with climate shifts, it may not be as appealing these days (I was there around 1997). It did rain more than Iowa, but it wasn't too bad for me (I don't mind rain)

Currently, I live in southern PA, and like it. It's similar to Iowa, but much less harsh winters (I believe we might have gotten down to the teens once this winter so far--we have hovered around the mid-upper 30s and low 40s mostly this winter), I've lived here for about 12 years and I think we only got down to negatives once or twice (and only for a few days--"low" negatives that is--around -9 or -10 but without active winds). We do get a fair amount of snow (compared to eastern Iowa), but it is typically only 1-2 major storms a season (I ended up with around 10-12" of snow last week--the only major snow this season, again so far), but temps make it more bearable to clean up and still go about a relatively normal life.

I've lived in IA (mostly grew up there), WA (6 months), GA (~4 years), IN (1 year), NJ (5 years), and PA (~12 years) in the last 25 years and definitely prefer PA (feel free to ask me about any of the other states if you'd like). My advice (given your situation--if there is no rush) is to pin down a few places and visit them over the next couple of years at various seasons (if financially feasible) and then decide. If you have to make a decision soon, AZ is pretty safe bet (decent cost of living, plenty to do, and drive distance from various potential road trip options.

PA is pretty good as well (depending on your age/interests), but the cost of living is higher than AZ so keep that in mind for salary info. GA has a low cost of living, and plenty of social and occupational opportunities (my brother lives there), but is similar to FL in terms of weather (GA doesn't get quite as humid). I envy you in your journey. I have applied to AZ for a few jobs over the years, but haven't received much beyond one phone interview (probably due in part to distance since my field typically helps pay--or fully covers--travel for final candidates). Of course, at this point, I'm hoping to retire in 10 years (if feasible), so AZ is off the list presently, but I'll revisit it in 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->