Gila River Arena:
Gila River Arena
Home of the Coyotes

State Farm Stadium:
State Farm Stadium
Home of the Arizona Cardinals and the Fiesta Bowl

WestGate City Center
Westgate Entertainment District
Gila River Arena and University of Phoenix Stadium are here; several places to eat and drink are here along with a movie theater

----------

Airport and Transportation
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
http://www.phoenix.gov/skyharborairport/index.html
Largest airport in Arizona

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport
Phoenix-Mesa Gateway
Secondary airport to Phoenix; beware that it's on the opposite side of the Valley and about 53 miles from Glendale

Valley Metro Bus and Light Rail
Valley Metro
NOTE: Light Rail doesn't go to Gila River Arena; renting a car is heavily advised when traveling around AZ.

Discount Cab
Wanna Ride? | Phoenix & Tucson Rideshare Service | totalride or call 602-200-2000
Largest and most trusted cab fleet in Arizona.
WestGate Cab stands across from Hell's Half Acre and NorthEast Corner of SaddleRanch

Ridesharing:
Uber - Uber - Get a Ride Near You - Earn Money by Driving | Uber
Lyft - Lyft: A ride when you need one | Be a Lyft driver - Lyft

Online Guide to any city and town in Arizona:
Visit Arizona

----------

Places to stay
Arizona Hotels:
Arizona Hotels | Hotels in Arizona | arizonahotels.com

Glendale Hotels
NOTE: Hampton Inn and Renaissance Inn are the only 2 hotels within a reasonable( and very close) walking distance to Gila River Arena, SF Stadium and WestGate City Center

Hampton Inn
Travel | Yahoo Lifestyle

Renaissance
http://www.hotels.com/hotel_Renaiss...utm_source=yahoossp&mcid=inkt.property.manual

Other Hotels near Westgate
http://www.westgatecitycenterhotels.com/

----------

Phoenix Arizona
12th largest city in the United States; center to the Valley of the Sun
Talking Stick Resort Arena
Home of the Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Mercury, and Arizona Rattlers

Chase Field
Home of the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Cheez-It Bowl

Phoenix Zoo
Phoenix Zoo - A World Class Zoo for a World Class City

Golf Courses
24/7 Tee Time Booking, Golf GPS & Scoring, Memberships and Social | GolfNow

Spring Training Baseball
Cactus league
The Cactus League
Stadiums are located throughout the Phoenix metro area, from Mesa to Avondale to Suprise to Scottsdale.

----------

Scottsdale Arizona
One of the more popular destinations for AZ visitors known for nightlife, spas, golfing. One of the more rich areas in the state.
http://www.scottsdaledowntown.com/

Scottsdale Nightlife
http://www.scottsdalecvb.com/restaurants/night-clubs/

----------

Tempe Arizona
College town and residential area; home of many tech companies from Microsoft to Tesla
Downtown Tempe/Mill Ave.
Downtown Tempe

Tempe Marketplace
Tempe Marketplace | It’s Happening Here
Shopping Plaza, Dining, Entertainment complex

Arizona State University
Arizona State University | Ranked #1 university in the US for innovation | ASU
Home of the Arizona State Sun Devils

----------

GENERAL INFORMATION

The Phoenix metropolitan area is informally know as "The Valley of the Sun". Two interstate highways intersect in downtown (Interstates 10 and 17), while US highway 60 runs from the northwest side of the valley to the southeast.

There are two very important things to remember about the Phoenix area:

1. It tends to get hot in the area rather quickly, especially as the hockey season winds down and in the early phases of the season. With the high number of cloud-free days, the sun can (and will) get to you if you're not careful. Make sure you are drinking water and staying hydrated.

2. The Phoenix area is HUGE. The total area of the metro area is roughly about 1,500 square miles (conservatively). It will take you about a half hour just to get to downtown Phoenix from the Gila River Arena. Be aware of where your lodgings are; you may need to travel a long way to get to the Arena!

Also keep in mind that construction on the southwest section of the Loop 202 freeway may cut into travel time to the Arena if you are coming from the east.

EDITED for updated content

Last edited by a moderator:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
This is a great website. Would love to go to Arizona for a game. Just curious, I like travelling and seeing 3 games. Would it be closest to see Arizona, Vegas and Colorado on same trip?

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
This is a great website. Would love to go to Arizona for a game. Just curious, I like travelling and seeing 3 games. Would it be closest to see Arizona, Vegas and Colorado on same trip?

Certainly doable, plenty of short hop flights between the 3, but not as easily as Coyotes/Ducks/Kings, if you haven't seen those two yet.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

You could do a pretty cool road trip if you flew into Vegas, caught a game there, and then drove down to Arizona for a Coyotes game. The leg to Colorado would be a little bit more of a hike - I'd say that making a Ducks game the third leg would save you some driving time (and you could finish your trip at LEGOLand and Disney! :D).

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
You could do a pretty cool road trip if you flew into Vegas, caught a game there, and then drove down to Arizona for a Coyotes game. The leg to Colorado would be a little bit more of a hike - I'd say that making a Ducks game the third leg would save you some driving time (and you could finish your trip at LEGOLand and Disney! :D).
LA would be crazy trying to get around I would imagine

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Except the Ducks play in Anaheim, which is farther south of LA and less of a nightmare. I would never suggest anyone try to drive to or in LA... :laugh:

Basically, Anaheim-Phoenix-Vegas would be a couple of five-hour drives - not too bad.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

In my experience, going over there once or twice a year for about 25 years, both LA county and OC, it's really not that bad, as long as you avoid weekday rush hour :eek:. I've never been caught in a 'typical LA freeway' jam....I'd ramble on but they probably have more info in the Ducks and Kings visitors threads I suppose :D

Reactions: Lilhoody

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
In my experience, going over there once or twice a year for about 25 years, both LA county and OC, it's really not that bad, as long as you avoid weekday rush hour :eek:. I've never been caught in a 'typical LA freeway' jam....I'd ramble on but they probably have more info in the Ducks and Kings visitors threads I suppose :D

Anaheim fans very rude on this board. I found out

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Chase Field "Home of the Cheez-It Bowl"

What is wrong with the bowl games? Don't get me wrong, I love cheese crackers, but this bowl game is one of the worst of all time.

The item that stood out to me was the Sonoran Dog. Hot dog with everything and then some more southwest flavor.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Do we really need links for taxis and hotels in the OP? seems like the simplest thing in the world to just google for.

Let's highlight ASU hockey and Tucson Roadrunners ... if i was making a one week AZ trip in December, I'd want golf and all the hockey.

Sonoran Desert Park and Titan Museum and Camelback Mtn could all use a shout out.

And someone PM to rt, he knows every. restaurant worth knowing in a 3 state radius.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I'm going to be in Arizona from 12/5 to 12/9. I have tickets for the games on Thursday and Saturday. The hardest part is the waiting. I'll be going to Tucson on Friday for the Roadrunners game. Does anyone know about a street fest in Tucson where they have vendors and food trucks and stuff all along the main drag through it? I can't remember what it was called, but they had that going on the last time I came to Arizona a couple years ago which was at the same time in December. I'm hoping it's going on again when I'm there. That drive from Glendale to Tucson was beautiful. Everybody goes 90 too, it's fun.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
LA traffic will be a nightmare any day of the week. I make that drive often and it always sucks. If it were me and I was flying I'd start in Vegas, take the short hop to Phoenix for the Coyotes game, and then to John Wayne airport in Santa Ana for the Ducks. John Wayne is about a 30-minute ride to the Ducks arena and a breeze getting into and out compared to LAX. If driving I'd make the same three stops. As someone else said once you hit Vegas it's about a five-hour drive to Phoenix and another five to Anaheim. You'll avoid all of the LA traffic.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Hey guys - the wife and I just booked flights to see the Devils @ Coyotes in January 4, and then we will drive up to Vegas for their game on the 6th. I’m very excited as the Coyotes are my favorite Western Conf team and I always wear my Coyotes hat when you guys play in New Jersey.

Anyways, we get in at 10am on Jan 3 so just a few questions for you experts:

- Where do you recommend we stay? I have been to Scottsdale and Tempe before and enjoyed both, but it looks like an Uber to and from the arena would be pretty expensive. Is there any place in the middle you might recommend or should we just suck it up?

- We have all of Jan 3 and most of the day of Jan 4 to see the area. Any things that are a must see? I was thinking it might be nice to do a short hike too as my wife has never seen a saguaro.

- Do the Coyotes still have the nicely designed cardstock tickets for season ticket holders? I like to save my ticket from each arena we visit and it’s always better to try and get one of those versus a crappy printer paper ticket or digital ticket.

Thanks in advance!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey guys - the wife and I just booked flights to see the Devils @ Coyotes in January 4, and then we will drive up to Vegas for their game on the 6th. I’m very excited as the Coyotes are my favorite Western Conf team and I always wear my Coyotes hat when you guys play in New Jersey.

Anyways, we get in at 10am on Jan 3 so just a few questions for you experts:

- Where do you recommend we stay? I have been to Scottsdale and Tempe before and enjoyed both, but it looks like an Uber to and from the arena would be pretty expensive. Is there any place in the middle you might recommend or should we just suck it up?

- We have all of Jan 3 and most of the day of Jan 4 to see the area. Any things that are a must see? I was thinking it might be nice to do a short hike too as my wife has never seen a saguaro.

- Do the Coyotes still have the nicely designed cardstock tickets for season ticket holders? I like to save my ticket from each arena we visit and it’s always better to try and get one of those versus a crappy printer paper ticket or digital ticket.

Thanks in advance!

I hate printed & digital. Last year I purchased tickets to a Red Wings game on StubHub and paid for UPS delivery thinking I was getting a nice card stock only to find 2 printed tickets. Called StubHub and was told this is becoming common much to the chagrin of stub collectors. Purchased 2 tickets to a Habs game in March and digital was all they offered. The UPS shipping option used to be a surefire guarantee you were getting real ticket but now it's a crap shoot. They really should tell you what type of ticket is on offer.

You can order direct from the Coyotes and get a Ticketmaster style ticket. I once ordered a promo package for a Coyotes and ASU game and the Coyotes ticket they provided was a season ticket style ticket.

There's a hotel next door to the arena if you want to stay in Glendale but you won't be near hiking. Camelback and South Mountains are very popular hiking destinations.

Reactions: Colin226

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Stay in Scottsdale. Glendale is a hole and there’s not much to do around the arena after the game. AirBnB Is cheaper than hotels by a long shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->