The Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Going to be in Phoenix area for a game here soon and was told Gila River Arena was cold. Like unnecessarily, uncomfortably cold. Is this true or are the retiree snowbirds who told us that just complaining? Need to know if we have to pack a jersey or a hoodie!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Going to be in Phoenix area for a game here soon and was told Gila River Arena was cold. Like unnecessarily, uncomfortably cold. Is this true or are the retiree snowbirds who told us that just complaining? Need to know if we have to pack a jersey or a hoodie!

Just people used to the heat or not used to walking into the cold from the outside warmth, I wouldn't worry about it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

It is a little colder than the average NHL rink, but a lot of that has to do with the arena crew trying to maintain ice quality. Never hurts to bring an extra layer in case you get chilly.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
^ it also depends on where in the arena you sit. if I move back one row I'm right under an A/C vent and it's noticeable. (for the locals, not as much as at Dbacks games though - holy crap!)

big mish

Aug 26, 2009
Just got my tickets for next month and they say they include Dos Equis Deck access. Anyone know what (if any) perks that offers?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

The coldest NHL game I've attended was Doan's jersey retirement. Due to the hoopla and warm bodies on ice beforehand the cool air must have been pumping. It's definitely chilly. If you're wearing pants and a jersey or hoodie you should be fine.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Will be spending a bit of time in the Phoenix and Tucson area during the holiday season and was wondering if there are some must play courses that I've missed in the past.

In the Tucson area I liked the Starr Pass ones and the Views. Staying near the Starr Pass when in Tucson.

In Phoenix area, really liked Quintero but am curious about Las Sendas,if it's worth it. Thanks in advance and will see the Coyotes hopefully, and they keep on winning.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Will be spending a bit of time in the Phoenix and Tucson area during the holiday season and was wondering if there are some must play courses that I've missed in the past.

In the Tucson area I liked the Starr Pass ones and the Views. Staying near the Starr Pass when in Tucson.

In Phoenix area, really liked Quintero but am curious about Las Sendas,if it's worth it. Thanks in advance and will see the Coyotes hopefully, and they keep on winning.
Ventana Canyon is a ways from the Starr Pass area, but is fun and guaranteed to be absolutely gorgeous this time of year, especially if you can play the Mountain course. Price is also not completely unreasonable considering it's a private course.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Ventana Canyon is a ways from the Starr Pass area, but is fun and guaranteed to be absolutely gorgeous this time of year, especially if you can play the Mountain course. Price is also not completely unreasonable considering it's a private course.

Appreciate the info. Was considering playing Ventana last time there and the drive is gorgeous,so no problem with that. The mountain course is the one with infamous par 3?

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Appreciate the info. Was considering playing Ventana last time there and the drive is gorgeous,so no problem with that. The mountain course is the one with infamous par 3?
Yea Mountain #3 is somehow better in person than in all the awesome pictures you see of it online.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Las Sendas is a nice course, kinda narrow. IMO Wickenberg Ranch is the nicest course in the Phoenix area but it is a bit of a drive depending on where you are staying. If you are on West Side of Phoenix the all day rate at Estrella is unbeatable and the ability to play two courses at Verrado is good as well. Southern Dunes, Wee-Ko-Pa, and Greyhawk are East Side courses that I have also liked .

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Las Sendas is a nice course, kinda narrow. IMO Wickenberg Ranch is the nicest course in the Phoenix area but it is a bit of a drive depending on where you are staying. If you are on West Side of Phoenix the all day rate at Estrella is unbeatable and the ability to play two courses at Verrado is good as well. Southern Dunes, Wee-Ko-Pa, and Greyhawk are East Side courses that I have also liked .

Appreciate the feedback.Curious about Wickenberg,unusual practices they are doing,odd. Regardless, would it be considered superior to Quintera? since driving in that general area. I'll see how my game is going before deciding on Las Sendas,narrow can be an issues at the best of times,thanks. Have played Estrella and Wee-Ka-Pa in the past and have liked them. You guys are spoiled there,have not played a crappy course yet.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Appreciate the feedback.Curious about Wickenberg,unusual practices they are doing,odd. Regardless, would it be considered superior to Quintera? since driving in that general area. I'll see how my game is going before deciding on Las Sendas,narrow can be an issues at the best of times,thanks. Have played Estrella and Wee-Ka-Pa in the past and have liked them. You guys are spoiled there,have not played a crappy course yet.
Quintero imo is the top course for elevations and views but it's kinda unplayable for the average golfer, too hard. Wickenberg to me is Quintero light, you still get decent views and elevations with a course that is always in great shape. The difference is that while Wickenberg is still tough it is playable. I am playing both in the next week.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Quintero imo is the top course for elevations and views but it's kinda unplayable for the average golfer, too hard. Wickenberg to me is Quintero light, you still get decent views and elevations with a course that is always in great shape. The difference is that while Wickenberg is still tough it is playable. I am playing both in the next week.

I see what you mean,some of my playing companions really struggled at Quintero. So many choices to play there make it a difficult decision.Hope it goes well for you on the upcoming tests.If you could update the conditions and length of play would be appreciated. Mentioning difficult with great views,played
Ko'olau on Oahu,one hole with super elevated tee box made the fairway look as wide as the cart path.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sewailo is a decent Tucson course to try as well. And if you want to try something gimmicky and different check out Quarry Pines down there.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Sewailo is a decent Tucson course to try as well. And if you want to try something gimmicky and different check out Quarry Pines down there.
I love Quarry Pines. Great value and they own their own water rights so the course is always in great condition, and the backside is gimmicky but it's super fun.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Never heard of Sewailo,seems intriguing though,looks like a good fun place for a few days. Enjoyed Quarry Pines a friend lives in the are and week days,quiet and can play a quick round.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So I played Wickenberg Ranch yesterday. It was mint and the greens are still tough. IMO it's definitely worth the drive. Not exactly a speedy round there as its rarely under 4 hours. If you want a fun experience go out there early and play L'il Wik before your round.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Last update, played Quintero today. As always the course is beautiful and in great condition but I will stuck to my previous thoughts that it is unplayable. Give me Wickenberg Ranch any day.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Thanks you for all the info and updates,went well?

We're still undecided but am intrigued by Wickenberg, looks a bit short on the card though but will definitely try to squeeze it in. Any recommended places to eat near Wickenberg?

Will be checking out Hall against either Dallas or the Blues,prefer Dallas though. See what the Habs missed out on. Tickets are still easy to come by?

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Thanks you for all the info and updates,went well?

We're still undecided but am intrigued by Wickenberg, looks a bit short on the card though but will definitely try to squeeze it in. Any recommended places to eat near Wickenberg?

Will be checking out Hall against either Dallas or the Blues,prefer Dallas though. See what the Habs missed out on. Tickets are still easy to come by?
Wickenberg Ranch has a really nice restaurant right at the course. If you mean the course is short, that's a definite no. Unless you are a seriously long hitter.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Wickenberg Ranch has a really nice restaurant right at the course. If you mean the course is short, that's a definite no. Unless you are a seriously long hitter.

Not usually a fan at eating at the course,but never know. Thought when checking it's not over 6400 from the back which we find a bit short. A few of us have no problem doing 300+ in playable conditions and are single digits.

May I ask you if having a choice between Wickenberg and Las Sendas not factoring cost etc,which is preferably to play?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not usually a fan at eating at the course,but never know. Thought when checking it's not over 6400 from the back which we find a bit short. A few of us have no problem doing 300+ in playable conditions and are single digits.

May I ask you if having a choice between Wickenberg and Las Sendas not factoring cost etc,which is preferably to play?
Wickenberg is the far superior course imo. It's over 7000 from the Blacks with plenty of elevation changes. I am a 5 handicap and still get in some trouble there, lots of thinking shots. Google the community, the restaurant is very nice and not what you would expect from a course eatery .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad