The Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Would anyone suggest hiking camelback mountain to a casual walker? or is there any good trails other mountains around that area or Phoenix in general?

Not playing golf next saturday looking for time to kill while my friends are golfing that day.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Would anyone suggest hiking camelback mountain to a casual walker? or is there any good trails other mountains around that area or Phoenix in general?

Not playing golf next saturday looking for time to kill while my friends are golfing that day.

Depends on age and fitness level. Camelback mtn hikes are not long in distance, but the vertical can wear you out. If you normally don't walk for more than an hour, then I suggest not trying for the summit which is 2-3 hrs round trip.

Even though it's winter, bring water and a sufficiently charged cell phone just in case.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Depends on age and fitness level. Camelback mtn hikes are not long in distance, but the vertical can wear you out. If you normally don't walk for more than an hour, then I suggest not trying for the summit which is 2-3 hrs round trip.

Even though it's winter, bring water and a sufficiently charged cell phone just in case.
any other good hike paths mountains to walk in the phoenix area other than camelback?

Staying at our bnb in goodyear but wont have the rental vehicle that day. Looking for stuff to do that an uber can get to easily

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
any other good hike paths mountains to walk in the phoenix area other than camelback?

Staying at our bnb in goodyear but wont have the rental vehicle that day. Looking for stuff to do that an uber can get to easily

Piestewa Peak has great views from the top, but more difficult than Camelback.

Pinnacle Peak is nice. Not as much vertical, more up and down.

Tom's Thumb has nice views from the top, but also not easy.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

There are a ton of trails with not quite so much vertical in South mountain park, which may be closer to you out in Goodyear. Do take the sunscreen and the water though.

Now that I think about it. There's a cool little trail in the White Tanks park out west there that leads to a waterfall (such as it is) and we have had rain this winter.

Lemon Lover

Forever in Blueland
Jun 19, 2010
Atlanta
Hi guys,

Flew in from ATL a few days ago and am all set to route for my Yotes tomorrow night against Nashville. Any advice on parking at the Mullet? Preliminary research doesn't sound good. $30? Any alternatives?

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hi guys,

Flew in from ATL a few days ago and am all set to route for my Yotes tomorrow night against Nashville. Any advice on parking at the Mullet? Preliminary research doesn't sound good. $30? Any alternatives?
Depends on how far you mind walking. Lot 59 East at 6th St/Rural - $12 (pay by phone app "ParkMobile" or at terminal)
City Hall Garage (Residence Inn) - 5th St/Forest - $2/hr

Reactions: Lemon Lover

Lemon Lover

Forever in Blueland
Jun 19, 2010
Atlanta
Depends on how far you mind walking. Lot 59 East at 6th St/Rural - $12 (pay by phone app "ParkMobile" or at terminal)
City Hall Garage (Residence Inn) - 5th St/Forest - $2/hr
Thanks again for the tip, it worked out great. Just got back to Georgia. Had a great time in Arizona last week, capped off with that dominant win over Nashville. Loved Mullett. Looking forward to retiring in AZ in 3 years. . . .

greenhawk

Blue & Gold = Green!
May 20, 2006
Germany
Hello Arizona,

my wife and I are huge NFL & NHL fans from Germany visiting the Valley of the Sun end of October. We will be at the Cardinals game vs. BAL Oct 29 and have planned to see the Coyotes the day after vs. CHI.

I heard about the small arena last season but was a bit shocked when I looked up tickets prices. We have been visiting half of the NHL arenas already and didn't expect ticking this box will be this expensive.

The game is not sold out yet. The cheapest seats are $184. Is there a chance to get a better deal on resale tickets in the days/hours right before the game. Or will it get only more expensive?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to my first Mullett experience!

Reactions: Bondurant

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Hello Arizona,

my wife and I are huge NFL & NHL fans from Germany visiting the Valley of the Sun end of October. We will be at the Cardinals game vs. BAL Oct 29 and have planned to see the Coyotes the day after vs. CHI.

I heard about the small arena last season but was a bit shocked when I looked up tickets prices. We have been visiting half of the NHL arenas already and didn't expect ticking this box will be this expensive.

The game is not sold out yet. The cheapest seats are $184. Is there a chance to get a better deal on resale tickets in the days/hours right before the game. Or will it get only more expensive?

Considering the opponent is Chicago and even though the Blackhawks are going to suck this season, Chicago's always a huge draw for away fans when they come to town. I'd personally recommend grabbing the tickets from the box office ASAP instead of testing your luck on the resale market, since I imagine they'd only get more expensive for what's usually a "premier" away draw in the area.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Considering the opponent is Chicago and even though the Blackhawks are going to suck this season, Chicago's always a huge draw for away fans when they come to town. I'd personally recommend grabbing the tickets from the box office ASAP instead of testing your luck on the resale market, since I imagine they'd only get more expensive for what's usually a "premier" away draw in the area.
Sound advice. Chicago fans will pack the arena. Especially now with the new toy.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello Arizona,

Chicago will be bad but Bedard will draw. If you can swing $184 and you are determined to see a Coyotes game I would recommend buying now. Not likely to drop.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Friendly Ducks fan coming in peace. Flying in tomorrow morning for the game and leaving early evening. Is the Chuckbox a decent option to grab a quick before the game? Thanks.

Reactions: Summer Rose

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Hello Arizona,

You have to realize what you're paying for. Never again will you see NHL teams playing in such a small venue.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Hey gang. We have a group of 8 guys coming down for a golf trip from Canada.

Naturally, here's question #1: Where is the cheapest place to buy beers? Probably grocery stores? A few of us get in earlier and want to stock the airbnb as best as we can before the other 5 arrive. (We're staying in Scottsdale)

#2: Best Dive Bars? I'm a big fan of sitting around and chatting to locals around the bar.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Naturally, here's question #1: Where is the cheapest place to buy beers? Probably grocery stores? A few of us get in earlier and want to stock the airbnb as best as we can before the other 5 arrive. (We're staying in Scottsdale)

#2: Best Dive Bars? I'm a big fan of sitting around and chatting to locals around the bar.
Sort of depends where you are in Scottsdale as it's like 30 miles north to south that you're in their city limits...and Scottsdale isn't exactly synonymous with 'cheap' or 'dive bars' but generally yeah grocery stores are a good bet, and steer away from names like Whole Foods and AJ's and towards names like Basha's, Winco (although there aren't any of those in Scottsdale)

Scottsdale is also sort of not the first place you'd think of for dive bars, but having said that the further south from Old Town you go the more dive-y it becomes. And more along Hayden than along Scottsdale Road. At Thomas Rd and Hayden there was a place called Pranksters Too that got sold to a local sports bar chain RT O'Sullivans.

(it's funny you mention a golfing group of 8 guys because just last night one of my rec league teammates who's a teaching pro at Grayhawk up there gave the weekly update on round prices, and he said they're getting up to $300-$400 - guys were "who pays that?" and he said "groups of like 8-12 guys, bachelor parties, etc")

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Sort of depends where you are in Scottsdale as it's like 30 miles north to south that you're in their city limits...and Scottsdale isn't exactly synonymous with 'cheap' or 'dive bars' but generally yeah grocery stores are a good bet, and steer away from names like Whole Foods and AJ's and towards names like Basha's, Winco (although there aren't any of those in Scottsdale)

Scottsdale is also sort of not the first place you'd think of for dive bars, but having said that the further south from Old Town you go the more dive-y it becomes. And more along Hayden than along Scottsdale Road. At Thomas Rd and Hayden there was a place called Pranksters Too that got sold to a local sports bar chain RT O'Sullivans.

(it's funny you mention a golfing group of 8 guys because just last night one of my rec league teammates who's a teaching pro at Grayhawk up there gave the weekly update on round prices, and he said they're getting up to $300-$400 - guys were "who pays that?" and he said "groups of like 8-12 guys, bachelor parties, etc")
Appreciate the response, man. Yeah, it will most likely be a play it by ear type thing.

We've got 4 rounds booked so far, Rancho Manana, Gold Canyon, Orange Tree and Silverado - Basically all rounds are $150-170 USD (Our dollar is dog shit too right now, so that $150 is essentially $200)

We're going to be spending a lot on the golf so we're basically looking to cut some costs here and there elsewhere, haha.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun

Clancy's near Old Town is a good spot too. Shitty Irish Pub type place. Harold's after your Rancho Manana stop is a good place too. Haven't been there in a while though, might be pricier than I remember. OHSO brewing near Orange Tree isn't bad.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

For Dives

In Scottsdale
TT Roadhouse
Roadrunners
Coach House

In Tempe (aka by ASU)
Casey Moores
Yucca Tap Room
TimeOut *if you want to run into Gretzky Betzkys

Those would be my picks

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Coach House is a popular destination. Coyotes of the past have been known to hang there. I cannot attest with personal experience as I avoid Old Town at all cost. Not my scene but YMMV. There is a damn good Colombian hot dog place not too far from Coach House.

Booze isn't any cheaper than anywhere else out here so you're not drinking for a bargain unless your going PBR from grocery/liquor store.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
hey all, I'm doing a quick touch and go to see my Panthers play at the Mullett. I'll be staying a 15 minute walk from the Arena to the east.

Any suggestions on decent bars for a post game drink and a good breakfast place the next day?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3