OT: The Off-Topic Thread XX: La fiesta española

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Also if "everything else" is shut down. I havent really done any hoarding, but I just checked the food stuff to make sure I have something to eat for a week or two (or four) if things get bad. Something in the freezer, dry stuff like lentils and peas, rice, pasta all my medication etc basic stuff.

Yes, for example if the majority of workers at a water treatment plant all had infections at the same time, that would be problematic. It certainly has the ability to affect every industry.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yes, for example if the majority of workers at a water treatment plant all had infections at the same time, that would be problematic. It certainly has the ability to affect every industry.

My backup plan is to pack all my stuff and drive to my cottage. Cook and heat using firewood, get water from lake and small well we have there

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The problem with Italy is that almost a quarter of its 60 million population is 65 or above. I don't think it's fair to say they should've or could've better prepared for something like this in such a way that it would've made a much more meaningful difference.

Canada has an advantage in prevention protocols given our extremely low population density

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Alberta also has an advantage because our overall average population is younger than the other provinces by a bit if I'm not mistaken. BC may suffer greatly though as many of the older population of Canada enjoys retiring to that province.

My backup plan is to pack all my stuff and drive to my cottage. Cook and heat using firewood, get water from lake and small well we have there

What? No solar panel/batteries and electric cook top? Zombies will see the smoke from your cooking fire a mile away and run towards you!

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
What? No solar panel/batteries and electric cook top? Zombies will see the smoke from your cooking fire a mile away and run towards you!
:D

We do have electricity there, that's just the worst case scenario

Reactions: Fig

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
A Newfoundlander is leading the global fight against COVID-19, and wants you to know the facts
What is the biggest challenge you face with preventing the spread of COVID-19?

I think the single biggest challenge we faced is a misunderstanding and often a softpedalling of this at the level of the population.

People are clever. People are concerned about their health. People will do the right things if they have the right information.

What we've seen is people are cherry-picking data. So they look at the lowest possible case fatality rates and say, "Oh look, it's like seasonal flu." Or they pick, "Oh it doesn't spread so fast because of this," or "Oh it only affects the older ones, I'm safe." And none of those propositions are true.

There's no reason to panic about this disease, but you have to be deeply concerned. This is not seasonal flu. It's an order of magnitude [with] tenfold — at least — higher mortality rate. Yes, it does strike vulnerable populations, but it can strike any age, let's be very, very clear — especially between your 30s and 60s and the older population.

If the population understands all those things, it will play ball. And I find the single biggest challenge is the populations aren't always getting clear enough information.
You've remained very optimistic about containing the virus. You've said you believe containment is still possible. Is that still what you believe?

It's not what I believe. It's the reality of the virus.

The important thing we learned in China, and I think this was a surprise for me and for the really top experts we had on the team, is that you can actually control a virus that spreads through a respiratory route with some old-fashioned public health measures.

The virus that we know best in this regard is flu, and it moves so fast. The conventional wisdom is that it's not possible to slow these down this way.

What we saw in China was with the rigorous approach and right population measures — that means hand washing, finding the cases, finding their contacts, etc. — you could actually really slow these things down, prevent an awful lot of illness and prevent a lot of deaths. Those lessons are really, really, clear.

So it's not that I remain optimistic. I expect people to operate on the evidence and reduce the risk.

Part of the reason the mortality rate is so high in the Lombardy area if because young people are getting sick and doctors are being forced to basically ration care. If the healthcare system here or anywhere faces the same kind of pressure, the exact same thing will happen.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
3tyla3u3nxl41.jpg

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I feel for those that are still working in Alberta's energy sector. Its going to get bad with regards to more layoffs in the coming weeks.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Step 1:

Step 2:

And here we have a stunningly beautiful representation of all the wannabe darwin award winners still trying to brush all this under the rug. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Dumbass. A 5 year old could recognize the bitter irony of the situation.

I’m strongly considering cancelling my Cali trip. Would be to San Diego (only one case), but the US does not have control whatsoever of the situation.

And the WHO can pound sand for downplaying this for weeks. As soon as I saw the Chinese panic building those hospitals and mass-quarantining, the writing was on the wall.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
There was a guy coughing on my trainride home...

Literally two rows back the guy is putting his jacket sleeves up and we just shared that look. You can see the panic lol.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I’m strongly considering cancelling my Cali trip. Would be to San Diego (only one case), but the US does not have control whatsoever of the situation.
If you can't cancel, don't fly. Airports / airplanes are probably the worst scenario for you.

You might also get stuck with closed borders during your travels, consider that as well.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If you can't cancel, don't fly. Airports / airplanes are probably the worst scenario for you.

You might also get stuck with closed borders during your travels, consider that as well.

Pretty much. Money comes and goes, my health is more important, and I don't wanna be in the US if I get sick from this. And with my luck, the borders will be shut just before I want to return lol.

Still a couple weeks, but the situation is only deteriorating by the hr at this point,

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Pretty much. Money comes and goes, my health is more important, and I don't wanna be in the US if I get sick from this.

Still a couple weeks, but the situation is only deteriorating by the hr at this point,
COVID-19 has likely been in North America spreading since January. Quite likely going to find that many of these cases of Flu's going around were COVID-19.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
What’s your point?

My point is getting paranoid and panicking is pointless. By all means pay attention to proper hygiene by washing your hands frequently... If you are sick staying put and not going out.

Other than that live life. This is just another virus like the 1000's before it.

Reactions: Corpus X

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
My point is getting paranoid and panicking is pointless. By all means pay attention to proper hygiene by washing your hands frequently... If you are sick staying put and not going out.

Other than that live life. This is just another virus like the 1000's before it.

No...

Sports leagues didn’t shut down over h1n1 in 2009 here in NA. We didn’t see western nations lockdown their people with other viruses. Every 20th to 30th person who gets this dies from a disease that spreads like the flu, and as someone with pre-existing conditions, I’m just a tad more concerned with how this affects me.

I have no issue accepting I may get sick, but I’d rather be here than in the US. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad