OT: The Off-Topic Thread XX: La fiesta española

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I just got back from the States on Tuesday.

3rx0fn.jpg

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
30 cases in Finland. There's been cases in three different schools (teachers or students tested positive) so it's only a matter of time before the number starts going up rapidly. Probably a lot of people with the virus have been walking around a week or two before getting any symptoms and spreading the virus

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The media is blowing the Corona Virus completely out of the water, it's actually quite disgusting how overblown it is.

You seen the shit coming out of Italy? And that additional 2000 pt drop from the djia? And the 20% drop in oil today?

Reactions: Dack

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not really. Current data indicates somewhere between 15 to 20 percent of those infected will require hospitalization. If the estimates on the spread turn out to be accurate (40-70% of the total human population could be infected), then if anything, this isn't being taken seriously enough.

To spell it out, it would mean roughly three million Canadians would require prolonged emergency care within a relatively short time frame (~6 months) if those predications are correct. So while everyone seems to focus on the CFR, the real danger lies in the economic ruin of an unchecked proliferation of the virus. Not that the deaths aren't an issue, but there's no country on this planet that can handle even 15% of their population needing urgent medical care at the same time.

So wash your hands.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not really. Current data indicates somewhere between 15 to 20 percent of those infected will require hospitalization. If the estimates on the spread turn out to be accurate (40-70% of the total human population could be infected), then if anything, this isn't being taken seriously enough.

To spell it out, it would mean roughly three million Canadians would require prolonged emergency care within a relatively short time frame (~6 months) if those predications are correct. So while everyone seems to focus on the CFR, the real danger lies in the economic ruin of an unchecked proliferation of the virus. Not that the deaths aren't an issue, but there's no country on this planet that can handle even 15% of their population needing urgent medical care at the same time.

So wash your hands.

Hope is that China could be a model (and they aren't fudging the numbers). Otherwise, we are totally f***ed. As someone who is asthmatic, my body is not ready lol.

I'm also going down to California in a few weeks. How exciting...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hope is that China could be a model (and they aren't fudging the numbers). Otherwise, we are totally f***ed. As someone who is asthmatic, my body is not ready lol.

I'm also going down to California in a few weeks. How exciting...
Don't go to California...it's infested

My company in San Jose is shut down... people were told to work at home

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Coronavirus in Italy fills hospital beds and turns doctors into patients
LODI, Italy — One infectious-disease doctor said coronavirus had hit "like a tsunami" at his hospital, where more than 100 out of 120 people admitted with the virus have also developed pneumonia.

Another hospital nearby is facing staff shortages as doctors have become patients.

Doctors, virologists and health-care officials on the front line of Italy’s battle against coronavirus, in more than a dozen interviews, described a health-care system stretched to its limits — a situation other countries may face as the virus spreads.

In an effort to cope, Italy is graduating nurses early and calling medical workers out of retirement. Hospitals in the hardest-hit regions are delaying nonessential surgeries and scrambling to add 50 percent more intensive-care beds.

“This is the worst scenario I’ve seen,” said Angelo Pan, the head of the infectious-disease unit at the hospital in Cremona, noting the prevalence of pneumonia complications. He said 35 patients in his hospital required intubation or mechanical ventilation to breathe.

Italy has been conducting extensive testing for coronavirus, including testing people who do not exhibit any symptoms of covid-19, the disease it causes. As of Tuesday evening, 2,263 people had tested positive. Of those, 1,263 were hospitalized, including 229 cases in intensive care. Seventy-nine people had died.

But clearly the flu is so much worse folks. And remember, the most important thing about any problem is to always wait until after it becomes a crisis before doing anything about it.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
But clearly the flu is so much worse folks. And remember, the most important thing about any problem is to always wait until after it becomes a crisis before doing anything about it.
Yeah ignorance - that's the real concern. I just got back home on late Tuesday night from south Florida (via Toronto, small airport not a lot of people) For the last couple of days, I most likely* have been battling a cold, that under normal circumstances I'd take to work and spread it around.
*symptoms are sore throat, stuffy nose, sneezing. no fever. no shortness of breath. productive cough. Diagnoses confirmed via healthlink

I'm staying home regardless. Just. In. Case. If it gets worse I'll consult doctors but otherwise not leaving the house. I am feeling better after a couple of days and expect that to continue but will be staying here until I'm symptom free.

PS I am not using more toilet paper than normal. You guys hoarding it are idiots.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
All of the precautions being taken to attempt the limit the spread of this thing are extremely necessary. Absolutely.

But as with any viral disease that finds itself in the spotlight, the way in which the media discusses it is incredibly irksome as it takes advantage of the fact that the general public is scientifically illiterate and seeks to profit off that. And just as vile, you have the added element of social media which give a platform for tinfoil hat twitter accounts with 200 followers that try to capitalize on the increasing hostility towards mainstream media and this new hysteria by offering "alternative news sources" that deliver "real facts that the government is hiding from you"

It's a long game of telephone that creates more panic all because the scientific community and organizations like the WHO still haven't found a way to effectively deliver messages to the public that drown out all the noise

Also, I'm not a germaphobe but the number of people that don't wash their hands in 2020 is too damn high

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
How about a side of fresh “Oil Crash” to go with your Pandemic sir?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wash your hands and stay home if you're sick.
This isn't rocket science. The folks making this look like a horror show are really fanning the flames.

Remember how Sars, Swine Flu and Bird flu were going to kill everyone? This is the same thing. Stop spreading panic at your jobs, or to people who don't know any better and go forward with your life. Just take precautions, in that you wash your hands, you don't cough on people... and for Christ Sake if you feel ill just stay home.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You seen the shit coming out of Italy? And that additional 2000 pt drop from the djia? And the 20% drop in oil today?

30*% in oil price drop.

The media has plunged the world into a world recession because of their own stupidity. The fatality rate is high among old AF people and young AF people (like babies). If you're a normal healthy adult and get the Corona you aren't going to die, the problem is spreading the disease and you should stay home and not contaminate.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Coronavirus could infect 35 to 70 per cent of Canadians, experts say

The coronavirus could hit 35 to 70 per cent of the Canadian population, making “a huge number of people ill,” many critically, and makeshift hospitals and quarantine centres could be needed to shore up a health system that has virtually no give, experts predict.

According to a disease-transmission model developed by University of Toronto researchers, the virus’ overall attack rate in Canada, without public health interventions, could exceed 70 per cent. That number drops sharply, by about half, “if we add modest control,” said epidemiologist Dr. David Fisman, one of the model’s creators, but it will take “aggressive social distancing and large scale quarantines” to reduce it further, he said.

“That’s still a huge number of people ill, and critically ill people are a large fraction in this disease,” Fisman said in an email. “I’m not going to share more specific numbers because I think they will scare people to no particular end.”

Fisman’s team has experience dealing with SARS, H1N1 and Ebola and recently reported that the outbreak in Iran was far larger than originally reported. Among other data, their model estimates basic reproduction numbers — how many other people one infected person is likely to infect — as well as the number of mild and asymptomatic cases that are flying under the radar, believed vastly higher than reported case counts.

“China’s epidemic was controlled through massive quarantine, enforced via threats of death penalty, and with lockdown of 750,000 people at peak,” Fisman said.

Studies suggest 80 per cent of cases in China are mild. Those who die take 25 days to die on a ventilator. Those who survive are off ventilators after two weeks, but then spend another two weeks hospitalized.

Hmmm, random internet posters or an expert epidemiologist? Expert epidemiologist or random internet posters? Such a tough decision on who to side with.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Coronavirus could infect 35 to 70 per cent of Canadians, experts say

Hmmm, random internet posters or an expert epidemiologist? Expert epidemiologist or random internet posters? Such a tough decision on who to side with.

I mean it’s the national post... and that range (as well as the guy hiding a bunch of numbers with the rouse that it is “too scary”) gives me a bit of skepticism it’ll be that bad.

However, those saying it isn’t that bad are also kinda full of shit. Look what China did and what Italy is doing rn. That sort of response doesn’t come if it’s just another illness. The WHO meanwhile sat on their ass to damage control for the Chinese and save face for weeks. Embarrassing.

And we have like 100 ICU beds in the city? If 20% of people are hospitalized, a lot of people are going to just die because they won’t be able to breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad