OT: The Off-Topic Thread XX: La fiesta española

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Oh and in Alberta, data is suggesting we are doing our part in being aggressive towards Covid 19

Based on this info, Alberta ranks 9th per capita world wide for testing. Socially doing our part though, I am not totally sure yet. We haven't shut things down and implemented a ton of quarantine. But at least we are aggressively looking into cases. But here's a problem. You are sent to be tested often only after you have essentially all the symptoms. You can transmit while asymptomatic.

Downtown is very likely badly infected though with the rumored cases I am listening to and the confirmed case at the child care facility for Suncor. It's only a matter of time when things start to shut down. The questions to come is, when will we shut down and for how long?

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You might as well cancel the playoffs. No one wants to be playing best of 7 series in the summer.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Oh and in Alberta, data is suggesting we are doing our part in being aggressive towards Covid 19

Based on this info, Alberta ranks 9th per capita world wide for testing. Socially doing our part though, I am not totally sure yet. We haven't shut things down and implemented a ton of quarantine. But at least we are aggressively looking into cases. But here's a problem. You are sent to be tested often only after you have essentially all the symptoms. You can transmit while asymptomatic.

Downtown is very likely badly infected though with the rumored cases I am listening to and the confirmed case at the child care facility for Suncor. It's only a matter of time when things start to shut down. The questions to come is, when will we shut down and for how long?

Ehhhh... I wouldn't put too much stock into that. We've been watching this thing unfold worldwide for the last 3 months. Our testing probably has more to do with reactionary than precautionary. I'm sure the ranking would be very much different if this originated in North America since Albertans can be pretty stubborn and hardheaded.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ehhhh... I wouldn't put too much stock into that. We've been watching this thing unfold worldwide for the last 3 months. Our testing probably has more to do with reactionary than precautionary. I'm sure the ranking would be very much different if this originated in North America since Albertans can be pretty stubborn and hardheaded.

Ehh, kinda fair, but also yes and no. At least we're trying to test it and collect data vs doing nothing. I do agree that we potentially aren't doing enough otherwise in terms of wider scale quarantines etc.

It's something.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You might as well cancel the playoffs. No one wants to be playing best of 7 series in the summer.

Disagree, it screws up the season too much. How do you go a season with no Cup winner, draft order all out of whack when you've played 80% of your season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
No matter what they choose, someone loses

Cancel everything - organizations that gave up futures for playoff runs get screwed over, significant loss of revenue, decreased cap, significant increase in escrow

Cancel the regular season but keep the playoffs as is based on winning percentage - teams that just fail to make the cut or are pushed out of a spot cry foul

Push everything back by a few weeks to a few months - complete loss of momentum, hockey in the summer, shortened offseason usually means more injuries, potential viral injury complications

Cancel the regular season but play an abridged playoffs - asterisks' everywhere

Delay for a bit, then play in empty buildings - a mix of the above

Right now, wait and see is the most rational approach. But if things get worse, which they most likely will (especially in the states), cancelling everything is probably the best and most fair recourse. For the sake public relations alone, the last thing the league would want is the notion they're putting profits ahead of people's safety.

Just have a weighted draft lottery based on the method they used in 2005 after the full season lockout.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Also for those really unaware, you don't need to stock up on TP. This is a respiratory virus, it has nothing to do with shitting your pants. World is going full Pejorative Slur with this toilet paper thing.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Also for those really unaware, you don't need to stock up on TP. This is a respiratory virus, it has nothing to do with shitting your pants. World is going full Pejorative Slur with this toilet paper thing.
You must wrap your entire body in toilet paper before leaving the house, after eating an entire roll to gain it's powers.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS SARCASM

Reactions: Janks

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Disagree, it screws up the season too much. How do you go a season with no Cup winner, draft order all out of whack when you've played 80% of your season.

Teams have expended draft picks and a great amount of money to have an opportunity to win the Stanley Cup. Provided there are no health issues the playoff teams will press forward to make use of their investments. For teams like Washington, Boston, St.Louis, Pittsburgh, and Dallas their windows are closing and it could be 2 decades before they find their way back. There is a great deal of playoff revenue at stake. Losing 6-12 regular season games and TV revenue from those game will put pressure on teams like Winnipeg Ottawa, Arizona, Florida, Carolina, and other budget teams. Their employees will still need to be paid. From a players perspective 50% of every dollar lost will come out of escrow.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
For people with an IBD such as myself who would actually need to stockpile toilet paper in a quarantine situation, i’m very annoyed that I can’t find any in stores lmao

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
For people with an IBD such as myself who would actually need to stockpile toilet paper in a quarantine situation, i’m very annoyed that I can’t find any in stores lmao
I second this, 3 people in my house including myself who have IBD/IBS, luckily we have enough TP rn but it seems like it'll be a hassle to find some when we need to re-stock.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Just use amazon if the masses continue to hoard. With prime, you can get it in a day or two.

Regarding the toilet paper thing in general, some places like Hong Kong and New Zealand have their supply coming from China, so for them, stocking up was probably a legitimate concern. But in North America, the stuff is manufactured right here, so the hoarding is just unfortunate monkey-see, monkey-do behavior.

On the other hand, a lot of the components of our medications come from China or India and both threatened to curtail exports if their own population faced shortages. Aside from the obvious that that policy should change, ensuring you have an adequate supple of necessary medications should be the priority in an extended quarantine situation.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Just use amazon if the masses continue to hoard. With prime, you can get it in a day or two.

Regarding the toilet paper thing in general, some places like Hong Kong and New Zealand have their supply coming from China, so for them, stocking up was probably a legitimate concern. But in North America, the stuff is manufactured right here, so the hoarding is just unfortunate monkey-see, monkey-do behavior.

On the other hand, a lot of the components of our medications come from China or India and both threatened to curtail exports if their own population faced shortages. Aside from the obvious that that policy should change, ensuring you have an adequate supple of necessary medications should be the priority in an extended quarantine situation.

incorrect. Estimated delivery dates on amazon is now 1-4 weeks for that type of stuff. Not 48 hours

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I've seen 1-3 months for some.

Earliest I saw is Monday delivery. I'm still 3 months into my 6 month costco supply

yup. From what I understand it’s not a shortage issue, it’s a logistics issue.

edits: oops I meant 48 hours in the post you quoted, not 48 mins.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If you run out of shit tape I've heard these can offer a quality substitute

oilers-new-jersey-composite.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad