OT: The Off-Topic Thread XX: La fiesta española

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If you run out of shit tape I've heard these can offer a quality substitute

oilers-new-jersey-composite.jpg

I saw some goofball wearing one of these last week at superstore. Legit the ugliest thing I have ever seen in person. An abomination to society.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I don't know if any of you here go to the UofC but they just sent an email saying they're going to email us daily updates and in the email they (unintentionally?) included the email chain going on between admin members about whether or not the email was good, this institution is a joke :help:

Reactions: ScrewNHLOfficiating

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't know if any of you here go to the UofC but they just sent an email saying they're going to email us daily updates and in the email they (unintentionally?) included the email chain going on between admin members about whether or not the email was good, this institution is a joke :help:
I do not work for the University but have been "that guy" who forgot to delete the email chain prior to sending a mass email.

I wanted to die.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
This really stinks. I was looking forward to The Battle in your barn. StubHub and AirBnB are refunding me. Air Canada wants to give me a full credit or a cash refund of $55.77. Hold time on the phone is 2+ hours, online correspondence takes up to 30 days. The credit isn't terrible but in this situation it seems like a cash refund is in order but you cannot talk to a human. Air Canada has one of the worst websites I have ever had the displeasure of navigation.

No hockey, no Battle, no refund. It's been a brutal week. Killing it with the OT at work but I am mentally drained.

Reactions: Fig

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Trudeau’s wife has Coronavirus...

Our PM going to be the first world leader to get it? Woof. Wish them the best. Nobody is safe from this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
This really stinks. I was looking forward to The Battle in your barn. StubHub and AirBnB are refunding me. Air Canada wants to give me a full credit or a cash refund of $55.77. Hold time on the phone is 2+ hours, online correspondence takes up to 30 days. The credit isn't terrible but in this situation it seems like a cash refund is in order but you cannot talk to a human. Air Canada has one of the worst websites I have ever had the displeasure of navigation.

No hockey, no Battle, no refund. It's been a brutal week. Killing it with the OT at work but I am mentally drained.

Damn, that sucks man. :(

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Our PM going to be the first world leader to get it? Woof. Wish them the best. Nobody is safe from this.

She was quarantined when she got back from her travels though right? So Justin shouldn't have it, at least from her.

Meanwhile I read that a team in Saskatchewan is close (relatively) to a vaccine, there doing animal testing right now.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

First that might actually be announced... not for nothing, but Trump was identified to have been around no less than four people who all tested positive for Covid after the fact, so the chances of him getting it are substantial, IMO. But I doubt they will ever let that slip to the public.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
She was quarantined when she got back from her travels though right? So Justin shouldn't have it, at least from her.

Meanwhile I read that a team in Saskatchewan is close (relatively) to a vaccine, there doing animal testing right now.

Still have to do human trials after that. And if that's successful then you need to mass produce it. It'll take some time still. Not years but summer time? Late summer?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Sucks to hear. Things went crazy and everything blew up in the last 36-48 hours.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
First that might actually be announced... not for nothing, but Trump was identified to have been around no less than four people who all tested positive for Covid after the fact, so the chances of him getting it are substantial, IMO. But I doubt they will ever let that slip to the public.

edit: wrong link. but I think Bolsanaro was tested positive

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Situation here is that cases have started to go up really fast. 155 cases now, 2 days ago it was 47 I think. Also looks possible that schools are closed at least in Helsinki region starting next week.

And people have gone crazy with hoarding food

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Still have to do human trials after that. And if that's successful then you need to mass produce it. It'll take some time still. Not years but summer time? Late summer?

Yeah I put relevant in there because I saw a week ago that it could be 18+ months for a vaccination, but they are making a lot of progress fairly quickly and it may only be months instead of a year +.

The posts on twitter for the story were hilarious.

"Hockey season is cancelled"

"12 hours later massive progress in Canada is made".

LOL

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's still at least a year away. You have animal testing, human trials and then finally, figuring out how to mass produce the vaccine. And all that's assuming the vaccine actually works.
While it could take up to a year to complete, CJWW has confirmed with the University of Saskatchewan’s Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization-International Vaccine Centre that the vaccine is now being tested on animals.

As of now, there is no timeline as to when it could be ready for human use.

Volker Gerdts, CEO and Director of VIDO-InterVac, told CJWW that everything learned from the first SARS outbreak gives the researchers an idea of what the vaccine will have to look like.

He also added that as they are now a few weeks away from finishing research stages, he is positive the vaccine will work.

Once the animal testing is complete, the research team will then need to send any viable vaccine away for clinical studies before being confirmed as safe for humans.

I'm no anti-vaxxer but I'd be wary of anything rushed out.

That turned out to be faked news...
Lots of people want Trump to get it in the media...that's not right IMO
Eh, Brazil has a two stage testing procedure. Bolsonaro, allegedly, tested positive in the first test, but negative on the second one. But that negative test info is coming from his son and frankly, I'm not inclined the believe anything that comes out of his mouth given his reputation.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The vaccine definitely won't be ready for people at the height of this thing. But it could potentially be incorporated alongside the seasonal flu vaccine schedule in the coming years. Although it still remains to be seen if COVID displays the mutative abilities that the seasonal flu has.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
World leaders should not assume COVID-19 will be seasonal and subside in the summer, like the flu, the World Health Organization said Friday.

“We have to assume that the virus will continue to have the capacity to spread,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies program, said at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. “It’s a false hope to say, yes, that it will disappear like the flu.”

“We hope it does. That would be a godsend,” he added. “But we can’t make that assumption. And there is no evidence.”

Earlier in the outbreak, U.S. health officials said there was a hypothesis among mathematical modelers that the outbreak “could potentially be seasonal” and relent in warmer conditions.
During a press briefing Monday, WHO officials said they don’t know how COVID-19 behaves, saying it’s not like influenza. They added that while much is known about the seasonal flu, such as how it’s transmitted and what treatments work to suppress the disease, that same information is still in question when it comes to the coronavirus.

“This is a unique virus, with unique features. This virus is not influenza,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said. “We are in uncharted territory.”

It’s a ‘false hope’ coronavirus will disappear in the summer like the flu, WHO says

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Saw Tony Hawk was trending on twitter.

Led me to this article

Apparently the CDC created their own test after the US government rejected one from the WHO. Only the testing kit from the CDC turned out to be faulty. Hospitals country-wide are also turning away people because "they're not sick enough" to cover up the fact that clinical labs haven't received government approval for testing.

Turns out only roughly 8000 people have been tested when South Korea is testing 20,000 every day

Would be nice if our neighbours to the south could get their shit together for once

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Saw Tony Hawk was trending on twitter.

Led me to this article

Apparently the CDC created their own test after the US government rejected one from the WHO. Only the testing kit from the CDC turned out to be faulty. Hospitals country-wide are also turning away people because "they're not sick enough" to cover up the fact that clinical labs haven't received government approval for testing.

Turns out only roughly 8000 people have been tested when South Korea is testing 20,000 every day

Would be nice if our neighbours to the south could get their shit together for once

It's the USA and healthcare. It's like water and oil, they don't go together.

It's ok though, they'll solve the crisis by building more tanks, invading other countries and buying more guns. What a shit hole of a country, literally the worst country in the world. I'd rather get eaten by warlords in Uganda than live for a week in that piss ant state known as America.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This virus probably won't relent in the summer months because it is new to the population but established and related coronaviruses do display seasonality to varying degrees. So there is a framework, albeit a relatively weak one, to work with and use for planning when we get to 2021, 2022, 2023 and beyond.

COVID-19 replicates efficiently in the upper respiratory tract and appears to cause less abrupt onset of symptoms, similar to conventional human coronaviruses that are a major cause of common colds in the winter season
By contrast, transmission of SARS-CoV did not readily occur during the prodromal period when those infected were mildly ill, and most transmission is thought to have occurred when infected individuals presented with severe illness, thus possibly making it easier to contain the outbreaks SARS-CoV caused, unlike the current outbreaks with COVID-19

COVID-19: what is next for public health?

With regards to the SARS outbreak
Seasonality of infectious diseases and severe acute respiratory syndrome–what we don't know can hurt us

A great deal is known about a range of animal coronaviruses, and this understanding may provide some insights into the possible future behaviour of the newest coronavirus. Many of these coronaviruses do exhibit a distinct seasonal pattern of incidence in their natural hosts.

It is plausible that the infection of animal SARS coronavirus in its natural host, be it palm civets or other animals yet to be identified, also assumes seasonality in such a way that it might increase the likelihood of animal-to-human transmission in the winter season. In January 2004, after the first two cases of SARS were reported in Guangdong, the Chinese government banned trading and farming of all civets in Guangdong province as soon as it was noted that civets shed high titres of virus. Decision making for such a policy clearly included considerations for the impending winter high season of SARS virus activity.

Back to COVID-19: Seasonality of SARS-CoV-2: Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather?

So in summary:
For the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, we have reason to expect that like other betacoronaviruses, it may transmit somewhat more efficiently in winter than summer, though we don’t know the mechanism(s) responsible. The size of the change is expected to be modest, and not enough to stop transmission on its own. Based on the analogy of pandemic flu, we expect that SARS-CoV-2, as a virus new to humans, will face less immunity and thus transmit more readily even outside of the winter season. Changing seasons and school vacation may help, but are unlikely to stop transmission.

Last edited:

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Here's another smart guy talking about prevention. Good listen.

And I obviously disagree with the last statement. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad