OT: The Off-Topic Thread XX: La fiesta española

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The 70% number is based on people doing absolutely nothing with no change to their regular routine to prevent the virus. But as the epidemiologist said, even basic attempts to limit the spread will go a long, long way. The issue is with the folks downplaying the whole thing or hyperfocusing on the CFR when that's not the real danger, at least not initially.

All this so called over blown media hype is really only trying to achieve the following:
Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
30*% in oil price drop.

The media has plunged the world into a world recession because of their own stupidity. The fatality rate is high among old AF people and young AF people (like babies). If you're a normal healthy adult and get the Corona you aren't going to die, the problem is spreading the disease and you should stay home and not contaminate.

The world has plunged the world into a recession because of it's own stupidity. Respected health officials have been saying for many years that the prospect of a pandemic level event is not a manner of if but of when. By not having a quality game plan for a virus like this other than telling the population to avoid others and wash your hands it's inviting the kind of panic you're seeing in financial markets. It's not just instability, it's the likelihood of greater instability. Like Calc said above the fatality rate is really not even in the top 3 concerns people should be having about COVID-19. The extra strain on global healthcare systems is what's most troublesome, if it reaches a certain point the math is just too taxing and systems will collapse.

Reactions: Calculon

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The world has plunged the world into a recession because of it's own stupidity. Respected health officials have been saying for many years that the prospect of a pandemic level event is not a manner of if but of when. By not having a quality game plan for a virus like this other than telling the population to avoid others and wash your hands it's inviting the kind of panic you're seeing in financial markets. It's not just instability, it's the likelihood of greater instability. Like Calc said above the fatality rate is really not even in the top 3 concerns people should be having about COVID-19. The extra strain on global healthcare systems is what's most troublesome, if it reaches a certain point the math is just too taxing and systems will collapse.

I just point to the media, because all they spread is the bad and stupidity rather than just say simply, "stay home if you're stick, wash your damn hands" and actual facts like the really low fatality rate for the majority of the population. The majority of people dying are old Chinese dudes where the initial outbreak happened.

99% of the population would rather and does get their media information from dipshits on facebook and twitter rather than actual f***ing scientists.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The issue is that "stay home if you're sick" isn't effective given that the spread occurs prior to symptoms.

Unfortunately, the only way to effectively combat this is to be proactive. Being reactive didn't stop major crises from happening in other parts of the world.

Just like with vaccination, the reason for the largest demographic to be careful isn't necessarily because of risk to themselves, but rather to help prevent the spread to people who are more susceptible.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Prevention is always easier than treatment. If we are being serious all the millions of office workers should be doing so from home and teaching should be done remotely. These are all things technology allows us to do, yet we choose not to.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The issue is that "stay home if you're sick" isn't effective given that the spread occurs prior to symptoms.
That's why the advice is to stay home even without symptoms if you've traveled to a high risk area. At least if you are symptom free, you're not coughing all over people.

Best thing to do would be *everyone* stays home for two weeks. Corona holiday 2020!

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Prevention is always easier than treatment. If we are being serious all the millions of office workers should be doing so from home and teaching should be done remotely. These are all things technology allows us to do, yet we choose not to.

I feel targeted.

We have spring break starting next week anyway, but there is a meeting tomorrow about the return from the break. It's possible that contingencies like that are being discussed.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I'm not worried about me, but I am worried about my parents. However the fear, especially in the US media, is outright irresponsible. They are selling fear in disguise as information.

All that needs to be done is to layout the issue. Tell people not to panic. Advise they practice proper hygiene and then stock up on toilet paper. Like a room full of toilet paper.

I do other things that people seem to think is silly like ingesting oregano oil and 5000 mg of asorbic acid. I'm not saying do it because I'm not a doctor. However it works well for me for colds and viruses.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I'm not worried about me, but I am worried about my parents. However the fear, especially in the US media, is outright irresponsible. They are selling fear in disguise as information.

All that needs to be done is to layout the issue. Tell people not to panic. Advise they practice proper hygiene and then stock up on toilet paper. Like a room full of toilet paper.

I do other things that people seem to think is silly like ingesting oregano oil and 5000 mg of asorbic acid. I'm not saying do it because I'm not a doctor. However it works well for me for colds and viruses.

Dear god @Corpus X... how many times a day do you have to do that kind of stuff? I get a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, but self-control that sexually stuff... :P

Then again, laptop butt catching and male spandex is kinda irresistable...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

You say the US media is irresponsible and spreading fear and then say to stock up on toilet paper.

What the f*** does toilet paper have anything to do with the Corona Virus. This is just doomsday prepping bullshit.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Any chatter locally as to if Calgary and/or Alberta canceling events like NHL. I'm scheduled to fly in for The Battle on 4/5. Debating if I should pull the plug.

Seems like the fear and paranoia (real and imagined) will just get worse from here.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Any chatter locally as to if Calgary and/or Alberta canceling events like NHL. I'm scheduled to fly in for The Battle on 4/5. Debating if I should pull the plug.

Seems like the fear and paranoia (real and imagined) will just get worse from here.

Ive not heard anything Calgary related beyond contingency plans for delaying Stampede. I suspect given Calgary’s geography that we are more likely to be affected by a NHL shutdown of some kind before a Flames specific one.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Nothing so far. I honestly believe you should wait to the latest possible moment to cancel though. Most airlines, hotels etc are offering free cancellation/changes specifically due to something like this. Travel insurance wouldn't be a bad idea to pay for things if you get stranded out here. I'm sure Calgarians would open their doors and take you in if things needed to go in that direction too.

Worst case scenario, there will still be events around the city with both teams fan bases trying to outdo each other in doing something for Covid-19 awareness or something dumb/awesome like that. There are worse places to be stranded than Calgary, Alberta. :)

Imagine if things got bad and the BOA starts up on TV screens with Iggy like:

giphy.gif

Self quarantine instructions:
giphy.gif

Covid-19 awareness campaign:
giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

People who disrupt the system and cause panic with toilet paper are just like the product they are acquiring.

They are ass wipes.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I was finding the responses fun. However, I am selling each roll at $5.00 each... So, I think economic genius is appropriate.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was finding the responses fun. However, I am selling each roll at $5.00 each... So, I think economic genius is appropriate.

Well, I guess you're well prepared if you do this and people shit on you for it...

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In all seriousness and jokes aside, I think to a certain extent, it is responsible to understand the death rate by age group. This stuff won't horribly affect the majority of younger individuals. It's something that will take out those who have weaker immune systems and those who are elderly. As someone in his 30s even if I get it, I'll likely be OK. But I also have to do my part in making sure that the virus isn't spread to those who are the most vulnerable to it. This is where the hygiene and self quarantine stuff come in.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
In all seriousness and jokes aside, I think to a certain extent, it is responsible to understand the death rate by age group. This stuff won't horribly affect the majority of younger individuals. It's something that will take out those who have weaker immune systems and those who are elderly. As someone in his 30s even if I get it, I'll likely be OK. But I also have to do my part in making sure that the virus isn't spread to those who are the most vulnerable to it. This is where the hygiene and self quarantine stuff come in.

The real danger to ‘younger’ people and I’ll use that term broadly, is that if hospitals and healthcare workers are overrun by those with the virus, those with other unforeseen medical issues will receive less and poorer treatment.

The real danger is you will encounter some other life threatening danger while the outbreak is at its peak, and not be able to receive treatment.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
The real danger to ‘younger’ people and I’ll use that term broadly, is that if hospitals and healthcare workers are overrun by those with the virus, those with other unforeseen medical issues will receive less and poorer treatment.

The real danger is you will encounter some other life threatening danger while the outbreak is at its peak, and not be able to receive treatment.

Also if "everything else" is shut down. I havent really done any hoarding, but I just checked the food stuff to make sure I have something to eat for a week or two (or four) if things get bad. Something in the freezer, dry stuff like lentils and peas, rice, pasta all my medication etc basic stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad