The no man's land

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I lol @ seeing both the "time to make a push" and "no mans land" threads on the same page.

Can we just choose a direction ? And by choose, I mean lose for a few years.

Personally i would not mind any direction. I would not mind us making a push since weber and price are not getting younger. And i would certainly not mind us trading some of our vets and attempting a quick retool.

But acquiring Nate Thompson and Dale Weise is certainly not making a push and keeping a guy like Petry will not attempting to win now would be stupid. I certainly do not support doing nothing. Making a push would be acquiring Panarin and Fowler.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
A team can still think this year and the next 2 seasons. Petry at 2.75mil for 2 and a half year is a good deal for any top contending team. Petry would look good with Tampa Bay on the second pair with McDonagh.

Yeah, but Tampa doesn't have a 1st round pick....don't even have a 2nd round pick.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I lol @ seeing both the "time to make a push" and "no mans land" threads on the same page.

Can we just choose a direction ? And by choose, I mean lose for a few years.
I appreciate irony as much as the next guy, but in this case I understand the disconnect between two totally separate directions. The brain says we're not ready, we need to fortify our position before going into battle. But the heart feeds on hope and the exciting variability of the playoffs. That's what being a fan's all about -- you know there's no logical way your team can win, but you cheer for them anyways.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We are slowly slipping out of the playoff picture as expected. Hopefully we are on the sellers side at the trade deadline. Petry ,Tatar, Byron , Shaw need to be shop. Petry would fetch us a king ransom, 1st round pick plus A prospect.
Yup. The benefit of a losing streak is it acts like a cleanse for any playoff fantasies Bergevin might have had. I'm pissed that we lost the last three games, but I'm happy that it increases the odds of staying on course and building for tomorrow.

Only thing I disagree with is trade deadline selling. Unless a playoff team is willing to part with a top prospect, better to do nothing. There's no point in getting picks from playoff teams who are picking at the end of the round. Wait for June and trade up in the draft with a non-playoff team.

Reactions: Da Grinder

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yup. The benefit of a losing streak is it acts like a cleanse for any playoff fantasies Bergevin might have had. I'm pissed that we lost the last three games, but I'm happy that it increases the odds of staying on course and building for tomorrow.

Only thing I disagree with is trade deadline selling. Unless a playoff team is willing to part with a top prospect, better to do nothing. There's no point in getting picks from playoff teams who are picking at the end of the round. Wait for June and trade up in the draft with a non-playoff team.

Good callout, but it is solvable. You simply evaluate the pick by the likely draft rank, and not just by "round". Then you decide if a prospect or actual offered pick is better.

I have no objection if they can get something of value for Benn, Niemi, Hudon, Lernout - to be analyzed case by case.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017

Grade A prospects are more important than picks. I would accept a lower pick depending on the prospect. I wouldnt trade Petry only for a pick thats for sure except if its a top 5 pick

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
MB will not choose a direction.............he just doesn't have the stones. Build through the draft they say, it's easy to hide behind. We will have to give him another 7 yrs for sure...

I don't want him to sacrifice the prospects or a 1st either, but staying safe in the middle, while teams around us get better, can be frustrating.

He needs to be fired, and then hire a guy who we will actually hold accountable...a guy who will pick a direction for sure this time.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
MB will not choose a direction.............he just doesn't have the stones. Build through the draft they say, it's easy to hide behind. We will have to give him another 7 yrs for sure...

I don't want him to sacrifice the prospects or a 1st either, but staying safe in the middle, while teams around us get better, can be frustrating.

He needs to be fired, and then hire a guy who we will actually hold accountable...a guy who will pick a direction for sure this time.

If and when he is fired I hope we can finally hire the best candidate available for the job, we desperately need it.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
If and when he is fired I hope we can finally hire the best candidate available for the job, we desperately need it.

In order to do that, getting rid of the french speaking policy would be a great start. FFS cant they hire a translator and put subtitles when he does one interview. Same goes for the coach , im not a big fan of claude. Hes done, time to retire and leave the place to younger coach who get along better with the new generation of players

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
In order to do that, getting rid of the french speaking policy would be a great start. FFS cant they hire a translator and put subtitles when he does one interview. Same goes for the coach , im not a big fan of claude. Hes done, time to retire and leave the place to younger coach who get along better with the new generation of players
In order to have the best chance at winning in pro sports you need the best possible athletes and the most qualified best minds to run the team as well. I hate the criteria attached especially to our gm position, it has certainly not worked for the last 25 years when it comes to winning so is it even about winning or is it all part of the marketing campaign designed at selling more products?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

For a while I missed that comma and saw; "Hes done time". :)

Reactions: Runner77

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I appreciate irony as much as the next guy, but in this case I understand the disconnect between two totally separate directions. The brain says we're not ready, we need to fortify our position before going into battle. But the heart feeds on hope and the exciting variability of the playoffs. That's what being a fan's all about -- you know there's no logical way your team can win, but you cheer for them anyways.
or maybe people are just tired of the Habs not picking a direction.

I'm not at all in favor of making a PO push, team is clearly not ready, but I'd rather Habs do that than nothing happening, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad