The no man's land

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
NY is a more sought destination city by the players than Mtl, when they hit free agency, for various reasons.

Prove it. What impact UFA's signed with the Rangers over the years? Not saying you are right or wrong, I'm just asking you to provide examples to reinforce what you think to be true.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Also, free agents are more attracted to playing in New York than Montreal. It's easier to fill a void for them than it is for us.

I'm not 100% sure this is true. Can you provide examples to reinforce what you think to be true? What free agents signed with the Rangers over the years? Not saying you are right or wrong... I'm asking you to back it up with substance?

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not 100% sure this is true. Can you provide examples to reinforce what you think to be true? What free agents signed with the Rangers over the years? Not saying you are right or wrong... I'm asking you to back it up with substance?

Last big name I remember is Gaborik. Im sure there is more. Not only its easier for NY signing FA but its easier completing trade because the city attract stars, it has glamour. You see at lot less NY in the no trade clause destination. Players want to go there compare to Mtl.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last big name I remember is Gaborik. Im sure there is more. Not only its easier for NY signing FA but its easier completing trade because the city attract stars, it has glamour. You see at lot less NY in the no trade clause destination. Players want to go there compare to Mtl.

You still don't have me convinced 100%. Did Gaborik sign with them because it was NY or because they offered him $7.5M in 2009 with a $56.8M salary cap? I think this goes deeper than NYC vs MTL. Timing and circumstance is everything if you ask me.

You are sure there are more than just Gaborik? You had to go back 10 years to find Gaborik. How much further do you have to go back to get more names? Habs signed Radulov and Cammy as the two big names I remember that that dates back 10 years. See my point? Are we forgetting names on top of Gaborik? Not sure, this is why I am asking.

I just don't see compelling evidence to prove that NY has a better shot at landing impact UFA's vs the Habs. Not yet anyways.

Last edited:

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
You still don't have me convinced 100%. Did Gaborik sign with them because it was NY or because they offered him $7.5M in 2009 with a $56.8M salary cap? I think this goes deeper than NYC vs MTL. Timing and circumstance is everything if you ask me.

You are sure there are more than just Gaborik? You had to go back 10 years to find Gaborik. How much further do you have to go back to get more names? Habs signed Radulov and Cammy as the two big names I remember that that dates back 10 years. See my point? Are we forgetting names on top of Gaborik? Not sure, this is why I am asking.

If you dont think NY has a head star on Mtl when it comes to attracting players. Whether its signing FA or makes it easier to complete trade because its a city they want to play for compare to Mtl. Well you are entitled to your opinion , I dont share the same.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Yeah, it doesn't have to be today, but I would dangle him, just to see what his value is if nothing else. Then, if Brook comes into camp next year and kills it, you're in a really good position to make a move.
Brook is going to replace one of our only two 20+ minutes defencemen? Now wouldn't that be something.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010

I think the Brad Richards and Wade Redden signing fiascos left such a bad taste in their mouths that I believe the Rangers have made a conscious effort the past 5-8 years to stay away from signing really expensive big name free agents and would rather build from within.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
After the Brad Richards signing fiasco, i think the Rangers have made a conscious effort the past 5-8 years to stay away from signing really expensive big name free agents and would rather build from within.

I think we are searching here for reasons why the Rangers can sign UFA's more than us are we not? I think there are many factors at play and timing and circumstance plays a huge factor.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Brook is going to replace one of our only two 20+ minutes defencemen? Now wouldn't that be something.

That's one thing that needs to happen for our club to take the first step out of mediocrity towards excellence. We need the young guys to start making players who have value expendable.

Reactions: bsl

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think the Brad Richards and Wade Redden signing fiascos left such a bad taste in their mouths that I believe the Rangers have made a conscious effort the past 5-8 years to stay away from signing really expensive big name free agents and would rather build from within.
Drury and Gomez too.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sure. But, as a rule, it doesn't happen at such pace.

Pace is really the word for any club. It's really hard to build a contender if prospects trickle in at the rate at which guys age out of the core. The sooner Brook arrives, the more value we can get out of Petry, the more value we can add to our next team, which, for the moment, looks promising but unconvincing as a contender.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

NYR have signed Gretzky, Gaborik, Gomez, Richard, Dury, Redden, Shanahan and a bunch of big name vet role player, they moved away from that model with the cap / rebuilding+ having some big fail but recently they got Vesey. We sign Radulov, Gionta, Cammaleri, Alzner and we over payed Gionta / Alzner by couple of M$ vs. all other team. Radulov there were not a lot of team in that derby (Detroit was team we beat) and it was a 1 year contract and we lost him to FA... We lost out on a lot almost every player we were actively trying to get over the year Briere, Lecavalier, Williams , Lucic, Hossa, Shanahan, Radulov, Stastny and we weren’t even able to get a meeting with Tavares... Mtl has been one of the less desired destination probably since the earlier 90’s taxes, not a contenter, media, winter, French city... But team seem to be heading in the right direction And that will go a long ways in helping us Change the outlook land player we need or want.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
NYR have signed Gretzky, Gaborik, Gomez, Richard, Dury, Redden, Shanahan and a bunch of big name vet role player, they moved away from that model with the cap / rebuilding+ having some big fail but recently they got Vesey. We sign Radulov, Gionta, Cammaleri, Alzner and we over payed Gionta / Alzner by couple of M$ vs. all other team. Radulov there were not a lot of team in that derby (Detroit was team we beat) and it was a 1 year contract and we lost him to FA... We lost out on a lot almost every player we were actively trying to get over the year Briere, Lecavalier, Williams , Lucic, Hossa, Shanahan, Radulov, Stastny and we weren’t even able to get a meeting with Tavares... Mtl has been one of the less desired destination probably since the earlier 90’s taxes, not a contenter, media, winter, French city... But team seem to be heading in the right direction And that will go a long ways in helping us Change the outlook land player we need or want.

Your going a few years back now and well past the salary cap. I'm looking at more recent and within 10 years. Habs signed Cammy and Radulov and the Rangers signed Richards and Gaborik.

I also find it difficult and time consuming to dissect the circumstance of when those players signed. Team direction and how much you overpay are huge factors. Honestly, I think the Rangers have an advantage due to the Ontario factor. Habs missed out on a lot of players due to them being from Ontario. The only big name guy I remember the Habs signing as a free agent is Cammy. Do you remember any others? Someone from Ontario would be more open to sign with the Rangers vs the Habs and there are a lot of Ontario boys playing in the NHL. Currently there are 179 players from Ontario and 54 from Quebec. Point production is 28,188 vs 6,845. Active NHL Players Totals by Birth Province - Career Stats

You mentioned Tavares and we didn't even get a meeting. I think this has a lot to do with how our team was trending and he is a Ontario boy who cheered for the Leafs growing up. I remember when I was all over us trying to get Tavares but I also was concerned with the Ontario factor. Wasn't aware of his love towards the Leafs at the time.

Would Duchene sign with us? He is a Ontario boy but I hear rumors he cheered for the Habs as a kid? Any truth to this? Where does this come from?

I think it's time for Molson to open up to the advantage we have which is bonus money in July. We don't have a tax advantage at all so lets use our unused cap savings for the last two seasons and pay bonus money to get impact players inserted into our line-up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad