The no man's land

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
or maybe people are just tired of the Habs not picking a direction.

I'm not at all in favor of making a PO push, team is clearly not ready, but I'd rather Habs do that than nothing happening, again.
One good thing about making the playoffs is the valuable learning experience it provides for the young players. The other good thing is the fans get to cheer for the Habs in a playoff series. For me, that never gets old (even if I do).

Okay, we aren't getting a top-10 pick, but that ship sailed when this roster started to play well. We're a mediocre/good team on the upswing -- not a lottery team, which isn't a bad thing. There are ways to get the top talent we need if Bergevin trades up for a top pick or targets one of the top UFAs in the summer. As long as he doesn't sacrifice anything for a dumb playoff push, I'll mark this season down as a sign of progress.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
One good thing about making the playoffs is the valuable learning experience it provides for the young players. The other good thing is the fans get to cheer for the Habs in a playoff series. For me, that never gets old (even if I do).

Okay, we aren't getting a top-10 pick, but that ship sailed when this roster started to play well. We're a mediocre/good team on the upswing -- not a lottery team, which isn't a bad thing. There are ways to get the top talent we need if Bergevin trades up for a top pick or targets one of the top UFAs in the summer. As long as he doesn't sacrifice anything for a dumb playoff push, I'll mark this season down as a sign of progress.
there's no way you get a top pick at the TDL, teams at the bottom are selling their players for more picks/youngsters. UFA seem interested to sign here like Tavares and Stastny last summer.

Technically it is possible one of the two options you wrote happen, it is... but in reality ? it's not happening.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
there's no way you get a top pick at the TDL, teams at the bottom are selling their players for more picks/youngsters. UFA seem interested to sign here like Tavares and Stastny last summer.

Technically it is possible one of the two options you wrote happen, it is... but in reality ? it's not happening.
The UFA situation is interesting. More top players than usual look like they're headed for the free market. Habs have cap space to pursue at least one, and with this turnaround season Montreal is probably a more attractive location for a Stone, Duchene, or even Karlsson.

If the Habs make the playoffs they start looking a bit more trendy to UFAs looking for a young, upcoming team; another positive thing about making the post season. Nobody wants to jump on a sinking ship, but everybody wants to jump on a bandwagon.

The chances are slim we get any of these guys, I know, but the quality of UFAs and the Habs' position gives us the best odds we've had in ages of signing a game changer.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The UFA situation is interesting. More top players than usual look like they're headed for the free market. Habs have cap space to pursue at least one, and with this turnaround season Montreal is probably a more attractive location for a Stone, Duchene, or even Karlsson.

If the Habs make the playoffs they start looking a bit more trendy to UFAs looking for a young, upcoming team; another positive thing about making the post season. Nobody wants to jump on a sinking ship, but everybody wants to jump on a bandwagon.

The chances are slim we get any of these guys, I know, but the quality of UFAs and the Habs' position gives us the best odds we've had in ages of signing a game changer.
who determined this season is a turnaround and not just an anomaly or something ?

odds were zero, it's not saying much that we have better odds now.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
who determined this season is a turnaround and not just an anomaly or something ?
Maybe last year was the anomaly. Who knows anymore with this team -- we've gone back and forth from playoffs to lottery since 2015. Point is the Habs are a very different roster with a very different record from last year. Whatever you'd like to call it, the team looks much more exciting, young, and promising than it did last year. If that makes the odds even slightly better of signing someone like Mark Stone or Erik Karlsson, it's good news.

odds were zero, it's not saying much that we have better odds now.
The Habs may not be a premier choice for UFAs, but it's fair to say we've entered the conversation as a possible option.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I like the comment pierre made today on 690, be comfortable standing pat,

You've got Kotka developing into what looks like (FINALLY) a first line center, you've got Danault turning into a 2nd line centre and now if you can slot Poehling into the 3rd line center spot while carrying this many elite wingers your in really good shape.

Two Seasons From Now
Centers - Kotka, Danault, Poehling is a deep 3 Center
Wingers - Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Suzuki is an undersized winger group but still has a lot of potential for offense

I can honestly say I've never felt more comfortable with our future forward situation then right now

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
How has kulak looked this year? Are you guys expect ing him to be resigned?
I mean, depends on who you ask he's been a stable top 6, I think it'll really depend as we have a number of young prospects and some guys who aren't going anywhere,

Weber - Mete - likely no change
Petry - XXX
XXX- XXX

As it stands we have Rielly and Kulak who are RFA's and Benn whose a UFA, as well as Folin andn ouellet. Kulak has been a serviceable third pairing guy but expecting more he's out of his depth

We also have Juulsen who may or may not play ever again depending on who you ask right now, I'll assume he recovers and plays again. As well as Fleury who are likely a year or two away.

I think you'll see resigned contracts for Rielly, Kulak and an offer to Benn but a rejection in the end.

my two cents

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Maybe last year was the anomaly. Who knows anymore with this team -- we've gone back and forth from playoffs to lottery since 2015. Point is the Habs are a very different roster with a very different record from last year. Whatever you'd like to call it, the team looks much more exciting, young, and promising than it did last year. If that makes the odds even slightly better of signing someone like Mark Stone or Erik Karlsson, it's good news.

The Habs may not be a premier choice for UFAs, but it's fair to say we've entered the conversation as a possible option.
Theres actually no indication whatsoever Habs are in the conversation for any of the good upcoming UFA.

After 3 100 pts season UFAs were still not interested in signing in Montreal, but now because we're having a OK season as a bubble team "we're in" ?

Reactions: BLONG7

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

They should open the vault for Karlsson, make it absolutely unacceptable for him to go anywhere else. They should be working with Cambridge Analytica to make it happen.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Theres actually no indication whatsoever Habs are in the conversation for any of the good upcoming UFA.

After 3 100 pts season UFAs were still not interested in signing in Montreal, but now because we're having a OK season as a bubble team "we're in" ?
How did, "We're in the conversation", become, "We're in"?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
They should open the vault for Karlsson, make it absolutely unacceptable for him to go anywhere else. They should be working with Cambridge Analytica to make it happen.
Yeah, Karlsson is a game-changer. If Bergevin manages to sign him, next season could be verrry interesting. He has roots in Ottawa, we're right next door with a young team that could go somewhere over the next few years. Still a real longshot, but between him and Stone Montreal should be in the picture for a change!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, Karlsson is a game-changer. If Bergevin manages to sign him, next season could be verrry interesting. He has roots in Ottawa, we're right next door with a young team that could go somewhere over the next few years. Still a real longshot, but between him and Stone Montreal should be in the picture for a change!
We should try to add both Karlsson and Mike Hoffman while we are at it. At least neither will feel alone in our dressing room.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

You've got Kotka developing into what looks like (FINALLY) a first line center, you've got Danault turning into a 2nd line centre and now if you can slot Poehling into the 3rd line center spot while carrying this many elite wingers your in really good shape.

Two Seasons From Now
Wingers - Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Suzuki is an undersized winger group but still has a lot of potential for offense

I can honestly say I've never felt more comfortable with our future forward situation then right now
Every club says this. Every club has people around it that believes in its talent pool. If you can upgrade your talent through draft, trade or FA you do it.

There’s only one situation where standing pat is acceptable; if you are the reigning champions.

Reactions: Da Grinder

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Every club says this. Every club has people around it that believes in its talent pool. If you can upgrade your talent through draft, trade or FA you do it.

There’s only one situation where standing pat is acceptable; if you are the reigning champions.
I agree with this. I'm happy with the progress, but going from the worst centers to pretty good centers doesn't mean we've arrived. It simply means we're no longer running on empty; we still need to add high-performance fuel.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How has kulak looked this year? Are you guys expect ing him to be resigned?

He's looks great. Late bloomer it appears. He will 100% be re-signed IMO. Great depth piece. Skates well, plays physical, and moves the puck well. A solid bottom 4D. Ideally you want him playing 3rd pairing but he can fill in a top 4D spot in case of injuries.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

100% agree. Standing pat is stupid. Habs need to keep exploring our options to improve our team today and in the future. There is no for sure guaranteed cup plan. We have a lot going well for us in terms of current NHL youth, and vets who are not older than 35. We have a very solid prospect pool (Quality and Quantity) and we have tons of cap space.

There will be circumstance that fits our team needs and when that happens, we need to be ready to jump on it.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Two Seasons From Now

LOL, take your most productive center and trade him for a proven 9-goal scoring LW, in order that a kid who has not even signed a pro contract yet can be gifted a top-3C role quick, quick!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
12 or 13 wins out of our remaining 22 games gets us in the playoffs.

A little better than win one/lose one streak. We got this. Hoping for a Islanders vs Habs 1st round.

Reactions: scrubadam

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Two Seasons From Now

Personally I have doubts about moving Domi to wing, my first instinct would be to keep Domi as the #2 if Kotkaniemi really does develop into a #1 guy. And then move one of Danault or Poehling for something we need, and have the other play #3. But even without a trade, I think Danault's game might translate better to wing then Domi's.

A case can also be made for our forward group looking as good/better back in 2012-2013, as Galchenyuk looked like he would develop into that #1 center we were missing, Eller had an incredible season which was as good/better then Danault's and we still had Plekanec at the top of his game. And at wing Pacioretty, Gallagher were elite, Gionta was still good, Ryder was near a ppg, even Bourque looked like he re-found his game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personally I have doubts about moving Domi to wing, my first instinct would be to keep Domi as the #2 if Kotkaniemi really does develop into a #1 guy. And then move one of Danault or Poehling for something we need, and have the other play #3. But even without a trade, I think Danault's game might translate better to wing then Domi's.

A case can also be made for our forward group looking as good/better back in 2012-2013, as Galchenyuk looked like he would develop into that #1 center we were missing, Eller had an incredible season which was as good/better then Danault's and we still had Plekanec at the top of his game. And at wing Pacioretty, Gallagher were elite, Gionta was still good, Ryder was near a ppg, even Bourque looked like he re-found his game.

Domi can still do his thing on wing. We need strong centers who can win face offs and play a 200’ game. I rather have Domi focusing on puck possession and offense like Marchand who..... plays wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad