The no man's land

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Selling Petry at the draft would not be a popular move unless you get a crazy package for him like the Pacioretty trade or the Erat trade.
Agreed. There is a level of respect a GM has to give his players. Trading Petry before the playoffs would feel like their great season has been deliberately short-circuited. Can't imagine any package that good to make it worthwhile, but don't quote me.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Meh Pens are on the way down might not even make the playoffs this year. Wash has 1 cup that took them 14 years of losing to get don't have much trust in them to be a powerhouse for years to come especially as Ovie/Backstrom get older. CBJ will lose Panarian and maybe even Bob, good team but not complete. NYI are better without JT but are they elite?.
You're one of the few who kept saying Habs were succesful cause they had 100 pts seasons

now Washington, who had more than a few 100 pts seasons, President trophies and top reg. season finish had "years of losing" ??

woah! it would be hard to be more dishonest than that. very hard.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Selling Petry at the draft would not be a popular move unless you get a crazy package for him like the Pacioretty trade or the Erat trade.

Do you think a Pacioretty-style trade is possible with Petry this summer? Unlike Pacioretty, Petry plays a more scarce position and would be coming off a good season unlike when Pacioretty was being dangled last summer.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Do you think a Pacioretty-style trade is possible with Petry this summer? Unlike Pacioretty, Petry plays a more scarce position and would be coming off a good season unlike when Pacioretty was being dangled last summer.

So you mean a RHD under contract for 3 years, who is younger and almost as good as Petry, plus a Junior player who was a late cut this year and will be a regular for Team Canada next year, and a 2nd round pick?

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012

Pacioretty was on the market because he was done in Montreal. It's not the case for Petry.

Unless they sign Karlsson Petry is not available before they see what they have in Juulsen, Fleury and Brook. Maybe at the next trade deadline if the Habs are out of it but most likely just before the expansion draft.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So you mean a RHD under contract for 3 years, who is younger and almost as good as Petry, plus a Junior player who was a late cut this year and will be a regular for Team Canada next year, and a 2nd round pick?

I meant in terms of an overall talent haul rather than specific types of pieces.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
We are slowly slipping out of the playoff picture as expected. Hopefully we are on the sellers side at the trade deadline. Petry ,Tatar, Byron , Shaw need to be shop. Petry would fetch us a king ransom, 1st round pick plus A prospect.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
We are slowly slipping out of the playoff picture as expected. Hopefully we are on the sellers side at the trade deadline. Petry ,Tatar, Byron , Shaw need to be shop. Petry would fetch us a king ransom, 1st round pick plus A prospect.

Smartest thing to do.
I would even shop Weber and Price.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Petry won't fetch a 1st...cause there's very few available. Not this TDL....maybe this summer.

Worst time to be a sellers at this TDL

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Petry would fit on many teams with a 50% retention. Is Bergevin willing to trade him to a team in our division, even conference?

Would fit....there's just not much 1st avalaible and i assure you, they will go to Duchene, Panarin, Stone and others. Not many big buyers left with a 1st.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Petry would fit on many teams with a 50% retention. Is Bergevin willing to trade him to a team in our division, even conference?

Yes with all the cap space we have. We can retain on salary and increase the value of the player. Bergevin has to take advantage of this. Molson has beer money to burn

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Would fit....there's just not much 1st avalaible and i assure you, they will go to Duchene, Panarin, Stone and others. Not many big buyers left with a 1st.
A team can still think this year and the next 2 seasons. Petry at 2.75mil for 2 and a half year is a good deal for any top contending team. Petry would look good with Tampa Bay on the second pair with McDonagh.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Petry won't fetch a 1st...cause there's very few available. Not this TDL....maybe this summer.

Worst time to be a sellers at this TDL[/QUOTE

Maybe, not sure what his value would be. But you at least entertain the idea and put him on the block to see what kind of offer is out there. Maybe theres a bidding war and you end up with a really good prospect in return plus a good pick. Petry would be sought after if he hits the market

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017

Worst time to be a sellers at this TDL

Maybe, not sure what his value would be. But you at least entertain the idea and put him on the block to see what kind of offer is out there. Maybe theres a bidding war and you end up with a really good prospect in return plus a good pick. Petry would be sought after if he hits the market

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Pacioretty was on the market because he was done in Montreal. It's not the case for Petry.

Unless they sign Karlsson Petry is not available before they see what they have in Juulsen, Fleury and Brook. Maybe at the next trade deadline if the Habs are out of it but most likely just before the expansion draft.

Let's just wait for Petry to fall back to earth before trading him. That's the the last 25 years in a nutshell. Very good strategy. Unless we can improve the team significantly this summer Petry should be available. IMO he should be available right now but i know we wont do that.

Petry, Byron and Tatar should all be available. They are end of 20ies and 30 years old guys producing well over their career average. Those guys might keep producing like that for many years until they are 40 but it's much more likely they'll revert to their career average sooner than later. I would personally not take any chances and would trade them if the return is worth it. We are not ready to win anyway.

I criticized Houle a lot for finishing in the no man's land. I certainly wont do MB any favor if we finish just outside the playoffs.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I would look at Buffalo for both.
They need secondary scoring and Petry on the 2nd pairing.
They have assets we need and 3 1st.

Great point. The caveat would be that we'd contribute to strengthening a division rival significantly. But, so would they. They'd definitely be an interesting partner.

I think both those players would be easy to find suitors, in any case.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Great point. The caveat would be that we'd contribute to strengthening a division rival significantly. But, so would they. They'd definitely be an interesting partner.

I think both those players would be easy to find suitors, in any case.

Petry would be easy to move. And i think the return would positively surprise a lot of fans. Good contract. Signed for 2 years. Playing his best hockey in career. Did very well to replace Weber on the first pairing when he was injured. All teams trying to win now (and not having a stacked defense) should be very very interested specially if we are willing to retain a bit and get a bad contract in return.

Byron would be very interesting if MB had not made the mistake to extend him. 40 points guy on a rental costing nothing on the cap would be worth a good return no doubt. Pretty much all contending teams could acquire him without trading salary back. But we extended him ...

Tatar i'm not sure. There might be teams interested but i don't see him fetching a lot considering what happened in playoffs last year and his overall career production in playoffs. He's still under contract for a relatively high cap hit which might not be a good thing in his case. He was after all a cap dump and while he's having his best season in career he pretty much did not have any choice or else he was probably out of the league by next year. He had a gun on his head this season. I think GMs will be hesitant to acquire him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad