The no man's land

Status
Not open for further replies.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
12 or 13 wins out of our remaining 22 games gets us in the playoffs.

A little better than win one/lose one streak. We got this. Hoping for a Islanders vs Habs 1st round.

Honestly, if we are lucky enough to face the Islanders in the first round, I see us going all the way to the ECF. I know it's a bit cocky to say but I'm not afraid of any of the Metro teams, especially knowing the bloodbath the Pens and Caps will go through in the first round.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly, if we are lucky enough to face the Islanders in the first round, I see us going all the way to the ECF. I know it's a bit cocky to say but I'm not afraid of any of the Metro teams, especially knowing the bloodbath the Pens and Caps will go through in the first round.

I’m with you on this one. Was thinking of the very same possibility. We need some luck for it to play out this way though

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Domi can still do his thing on wing. We need strong centers who can win face offs and play a 200’ game. I rather have Domi focusing on puck possession and offense like Marchand who..... plays wing

When Domi was used at wing he was a 50 point guy, when used at center he's on pace for 71 points. Expecting him to be able to do his thing at wing just because a guy like Marchand can produce at wing is extremely naive.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When Domi was used at wing he was a 50 point guy, when used at center he's on pace for 71 points. Expecting him to be able to do his thing at wing just because a guy like Marchand can produce at wing is extremely naive.

Different teams playing with different players. He’s still young and improving. Not sure I would compare his Coyotes years to this year with the Habs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Different teams playing with different players. He’s still young and improving. Not sure I would compare his Coyotes years to this year with the Habs
Domi covers the ice amazingly well, and sees the ice amazingly well. At C, he gets to use the whole ice, not just half of it or less. And despite being feisty, he really doesn't need to be engaged in as many board battles as most wingers must do.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Domi covers the ice amazingly well, and sees the ice amazingly well. At C, he gets to use the whole ice, not just half of it or less. And despite being feisty, he really doesn't need to be engaged in as many board battles as most wingers must do.

I consider Domi a similar talent to Marchand. Not sure he reaches his production numbers but similar talent at the same age points if you ask me.

Domi can be fine on wing.

Just this once

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not blaming anybody. Relax. It's a interpretation thing. The Hudon and McNiven situation clarifies it cause we have evidence to prove it. But if we did not have evidence to prove based on past examples, I do think that clause leaves room for interpretation. I believe that clause can be re-written to be more clear.

What you linked is not the official CBA, so don't expect something legalistic. I agree it is not clear, although if you read carefully, they assume each slide is a new contract. So there is a new signing date every time it slides. The real CBA says this:

"Article 9.1 (d)
(i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

(ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances."

So it is clear it is 2 years maximum.

It is probably just easier to say that if a player is eligible for normal Junior play, his contract will slide unless he plays 10 games in the NHL. The reason they sign contracts early is to make the training camp, otherwise they could not, like people from American colleges cannot do training camp since they are forbidden by their league to sign pro contracts. The "blue" exception is to synchronize this with Junior eligibility. In a case of a European, it is the same, as they would be Junior eligible for two years after their draft year, if they were drafted as soon as they are eligible. So two years after they are drafted, players can play Junior, and must be offered to their Junior team before going to the AHL. Their contract will slide up to two years if they don't make it into the NHL. Then it is just normal pro contract.

On this note,
"(b) Subject to subsection (c) below, the period covered by the SPC for every Rookie, and the number of years that such Player will be in the Entry Level System and subject to the compensation limits set out in this Article, shall be as indicated on the chart immediately below, and during such period, the Player shall be deemed to be a "Group 1 Player": First SPC Signing Age Period Covered by First SPC and Years in the Entry Level System and Subject to Compensation Limits
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25 and older No required number of years, not in the Entry Level System and not subject to limits on compensation"

So no matter when the contract is signed, at 25, there is no more ELC at the latest. Could go out of ELC earlier by up to two years.

Cheers.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What you linked is not the official CBA, so don't expect something legalistic. I agree it is not clear, although if you read carefully, they assume each slide is a new contract. So there is a new signing date every time it slides. The real CBA says this:

"Article 9.1 (d)
(i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

(ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances."

So it is clear it is 2 years maximum.

It is probably just easier to say that if a player is eligible for normal Junior play, his contract will slide unless he plays 10 games in the NHL. The reason they sign contracts early is to make the training camp, otherwise they could not, like people from American colleges cannot do training camp since they are forbidden by their league to sign pro contracts. The "blue" exception is to synchronize this with Junior eligibility. In a case of a European, it is the same, as they would be Junior eligible for two years after their draft year, if they were drafted as soon as they are eligible. So two years after they are drafted, players can play Junior, and must be offered to their Junior team before going to the AHL. Their contract will slide up to two years if they don't make it into the NHL. Then it is just normal pro contract.

On this note,
"(b) Subject to subsection (c) below, the period covered by the SPC for every Rookie, and the number of years that such Player will be in the Entry Level System and subject to the compensation limits set out in this Article, shall be as indicated on the chart immediately below, and during such period, the Player shall be deemed to be a "Group 1 Player": First SPC Signing Age Period Covered by First SPC and Years in the Entry Level System and Subject to Compensation Limits
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25 and older No required number of years, not in the Entry Level System and not subject to limits on compensation"

So no matter when the contract is signed, at 25, there is no more ELC at the latest. Could go out of ELC earlier by up to two years.

Cheers.

Thanks! This was my hunch.... there was more to the clause than what cap friendly showed.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Youre not trading the towel, there was never a fight.

I get what you're saying, but it's something we never (or very rarely) see in the NHL When was the last time a team in a playoff position this late in the season traded away an important piece that wasn't an upcoming UFA or RFA?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I get what you're saying, but it's something we never (or very rarely) see in the NHL When was the last time a team in a playoff position this late in the season traded away an important piece that wasn't an upcoming UFA or RFA?

We really need to get value for Petry at some point. The best thing that could happen for this club is for Brook to show that he's ready immediately. That would, at last, show some proper asset management from Bergevin: turning a 2nd into a Pacioretty-esque return.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When was the last time a team had this much talent coming up at a position?

I can think of Huet but we had Price and Halak coming up.

I can think of Ryder with Dallas.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
We really need to get value for Petry at some point. The best thing that could happen for this club is for Brook to show that he's ready immediately. That would, at last, show some proper asset management from Bergevin: turning a 2nd into a Pacioretty-esque return.

I agree that we should try to get something for Petry, but why not this summer? I have a hard time seeing any sort of positive message being sent to the team or fans if we trade him in the middle of a playoff run for picks or prospects.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not the horses that Tampa have.....they should just quit......Leafs have no chance against Tampa
Thats not how it works. The leafs should go for it now before the big contracts come in, they have the horses, top Cs, top goalie, top winger and good Ds on cheap contracts

CBJ has the horses, Pittsburgh as the horses, Washington have them, TB have them, Boston are on the bubble.

NYI, Carolina and MTL are the team in transition that should be looking to add for a potential run in two, three years, maybe even next year depending on Brook/Kotkaniemi.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I agree that we should try to get something for Petry, but why not this summer? I have a hard time seeing any sort of positive message being sent to the team or fans if we trade him in the middle of a playoff run for picks or prospects.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be today, but I would dangle him, just to see what his value is if nothing else. Then, if Brook comes into camp next year and kills it, you're in a really good position to make a move.

Reactions: FrankMTL

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Who cares about the message. At some point you have to be the leader and decide the fate of the team.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Who cares about the message. At some point you have to be the leader and decide the fate of the team.

That's fine, but I just don't agree with the timing...But that's just my opinion. I would see what the interest is this summer.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's fine, but I just don't agree with the timing...But that's just my opinion. I would see what the interest is this summer.
I agree that this summer is probably the right time to deal him, but if the offer comes along right now there's no reasons not to pull the trigger. Look at what the Rangers are doing, this is exactly what we should strive for.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I agree that this summer is probably the right time to deal him, but if the offer comes along right now there's no reasons not to pull the trigger. Look at what the Rangers are doing, this is exactly what we should strive for.

Pretty good chance of NYR drafting 6 times in the first round in 2 years. Outside shot at 7 lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad