OT: The next hidden edge? (Cannabis/CBD)

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Make your own edibles, easier to control the dosage.

Just need to make sure the mixture is done properly.
One of the largest complaints on home made edibles is the CBD/THC pops.
You sometimes (if made wrong) will put .200mg into a brownie and it wont be represented evenly in the final product. Not good if your trying to be consistent with medicaiton

Reactions: The Rat King

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
The paranoia is likely coming from the THC levels being way too high. In the 20+ percentage range. Try something much lower, around 8% or lower. This isn't our parents or grandparents pot anymore. Back in the 60's the majority of pot was around 5% THC, now it's around 20%. I don't find much pleasure in it myself at all.

Anything above 15% and I'm just sleepy and tired after an initial high. High THC is great for me when I need a sleep aid, but for general recreation use its too high (no pun intended). My personal favorite was a strain called Warlock CBD (Available, or was, through Tilray in BC) which was ~12% THC/~12% CBD. This gave a nice mellow euphoric high without knocking me out, and was amazing for neck and headache pains.

I have never tried a "pure" CBD strain, but plan too now that I can test it on the side and not have it eat into my monthly allotment.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm considering trying acupuncture. I believe that it's form of healing that's been hidden from us in the west for sinister reasons (but I may be getting into conspiracy territory here, but I'm fine with that.) Is chi real? In my experience, yes, I've felt it. I feel it everyday.

I've tried every herbal remedy I can come up with, Valerian, Holy Basil, Chamomile. I've got some Kava Kava in the cupboard but what I read about possible liver issues stops me from trying it. Valerian is awesome for sleep but it kind of smells like dirty sweat socks. Out of all the herbs I've tried thus far, Tulsi Tea (Holy Basil) has been the best. It helps calm you but most of all it's got a strong anti-inflammatory effect to it.

Plant used in Chinese medicine fights chronic pain

A plant used for centuries as a pain reliever in Chinese medicine may be just what the doctor ordered, especially when it comes to chronic pain. A key pain-relieving ingredient is a compound known as dehydrocorybulbine (DHCB) found in the roots of the flowering plant Corydalis, a member of the poppy family, according to researchers who report their findings in the Cell Press journal Current Biology on January 2.
"Our study reports the discovery of a new natural product that can relieve pain," says Olivier Civelli of the University of California, Irvine. "This analgesic acts in animal assays against the three types of pain that afflict humans, including acute, inflammatory, and neuropathic or chronic pain."

It looks like the new batch of pain killers will be based around the compound found in this plant. It's referred to as the second strongest pain killer in Chinese medicine, behind opium. I've got a tincture of Corydalis and I took it once, I'm not really sure how I felt about it. I should try it again as the juries still out in my experience. At least they have something new to work with, opioids are a disaster for those who are prone to addiction.

Just sharing my findings with you guys, in case it helps someone out there.

(Also I am not a Doctor. Just a guy searching for a solution).

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The strain I use is called Cannatonic.

On the OCS its under the name Temple by Aurora.

I would recommend the CBD strains by Medreleaf also.

I think they have 3 different strains on the OCS (Campfire, NorthStar CBD and Harmonic).

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
In relation to the topic at hand, I feel it will be a huge uphill battle for this to be introduced to the NHL until the States follow suit with law changes. Currently you have Canadians being barred from entering the states for simply owning cannabis related stock. Admitting you have used Cannabis can get you a lifetime ban from entering the country.

I cannot wait however, for the medical advances we are about to see.
I decided years ago I wasn't going to the states. Now they can demand to see your social media or whatever they want while crossing the border, the amount of authority they have is insane. It's just not worth it to me. They'd probably look at my phone, call me a commie and have me arrested :laugh:

McCarthy's ghost is still alive and kicking.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I decided years ago I wasn't going to the states. Now they can demand to see your social media or whatever they want while crossing the border, the amount of authority they have is insane. It's just not worth it to me. They'd probably look at my phone, call me a commie and have me arrested :laugh:

McCarthy's ghost is still alive and kicking.
They have privately run prisons...talk in places like Georgia is Marijuana will never be legalized ! They have billboards that say 'Marijuana is not medicine'...I also heard that privately run prisons can sue the govt for letting convicted drug users out early.Unbelievable!

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
So I've been wanting to start this topic for awhile but wasn't sure how it would be received but just saw Riley Cote speak out about this and with legalization upcoming now seems like a decent time.

I was a hockey player who had his dreams cut short early on due to injury and also had a few concussions along the way. The aftermath of this was not good and I fell into a huge depression with anxiety so overwhelming it totally ruined about 10-15 years of my life. It was always just a psychological thing until about two years ago where my situation got so bad my body started to break down. Yep at first when I told my doctor about the pain, she said maybe it could be anxiety related but I laughed and said no way, I've had anxiety for years and never experienced debilitating pain throughout my body or anything close.

I was put on every pain medication and anti depressant known to man and to be honest most if not all just made the whole situation worse and I felt like a total zombie and slept 75% of the day. Things were getting really bad and I had almost reached the point of giving up hope. It's one thing to be depressed and not feel great about your life but its a entirely different beast when your body gives out on you and you basically cant do anything besides take some pharmaceuticals and hope for the best.

At this point I decided I wasn't just going to give up and started to do extensive research into things that could possibly help me out of this hole. The one thing that kept popping up but wasn't being promoted with much volume was Cannabis. I had experimented with it during my youth so knew a bit about it and decided to give it a try considering how many people swore by it.

Not lying after about one month of "medicating" with Cannabis my body had regained full functionality and my mind was on fire and feeling better than ever.

When I say medicate I want to be specific. I wasn't "smoking" I was using a dry herbal vape. I wasn't using traditional high THC strains that are mostly designed to get you high. I was using high CBD strains and attempting to do it in the most efficient and healthy way possible.

Cannabis has been a very misunderstood plant but with each passing day more and more data and research is coming out proving just how amazingly medicinal it really is and I can say with certainty it saved my life.

I fully believe in the not too distant future many people will use this for all types of ailments both physical and mental.

The amazing part about this movement is that people no longer have to smoke it and can consume it thru oils, capsules, edibles and vape.

I know many people are going to TLDR this but hopefully even a few people who might be in a tough spot can read this and possibly take the leap of faith because I truly believe it has the potential to greatly improve many peoples lives that are currently struggling. I really wonder how much better off some of these ex players who are badly struggling with mental illness would be if they used Cannabis instead of some of the cr*p doctors prescribe them.

I have no idea if medical teams throughout sports are starting to treat their athletes with CBD but eventually they will.

If Dubas is as progressive of a thinker as many say he should really look deep into this thing because its at its infancy stage and people who embrace this instead of buy into the stigma's of the past will most likely greatly benefit. I have no idea where CBD falls in the NHL allowed substances but eventually it should be legal and the teams that are quick to use this to treat their players will be ahead of the curve.

It would be cool to hear more peoples stories about Cannabis or CBD in general and how much its improved their quality of life.

Well spoken.

I work for one of the largest LP’s in Canada and it will be introduced across most major sports very soon. My company already deals with a ton of current NHL players and players from other major sports. The UFC is also one of the leaders in this for their players.

Reactions: weems and Ratboy

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
They did a study and apparently CBD actually repairs myelin (the protective coating on nerves). I take it myself for anti inflammatory and nerve relaxing purposes it's a remarkable substance.

I just wish the price would go down but it will in time. This is the new super drug.

Reactions: weems

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
They did a study and apparently CBD actually repairs myelin (the protective coating on nerves). I take it myself for anti inflammatory and nerve relaxing purposes it's a remarkable substance.

I just wish the price would go down but it will in time. This is the new super drug.
PM me if you want some info on future cheaper CBD.

Reactions: Ratboy

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Cannabis and specifically CBD are a good alternative to traditional pain meds esp opioids. Another effective natural alternative pain remedy similar to CBD that is less habit forming is Kratom tea.

However the best treatment for chronic musculoskeletal pain is physiotherapy and chiropractic care. Neither of which are covered by OHIP but provide the best chance for a long lasting cure. Tens, ultrasound and dry needling are very effective as are chiropractic adjustments and massage.

The Canadian health care system is in poor shape and patients with chronic conditions are typically ignored or denied treatment.

Educating yourself is half the battle.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Been smoking daily 2-5 grams of good pot since I was 16 or so. 31 today with a multi million dollar business, fit, happy, mentally successful. Have to say two things:

1. The amount of people in the world who don't know what they're talking about yet choose to speak their mind anyway is shocking.

2. We all have different genetic predispositions and tolerance for cannabis. Some of us have already been undercover high for years and function at a ten. Others shut down and binge munch when they take a toke.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Been smoking daily 2-5 grams of good pot since I was 16 or so. 31 today with a multi million dollar business, fit, happy, mentally successful. Have to say two things:

1. The amount of people in the world who don't know what they're talking about yet choose to speak their mind anyway is shocking.

2. We all have different genetic predispositions and tolerance for cannabis. Some of us have already been undercover high for years and function at a ten. Others shut down and binge munch when they take a toke.

what multi million dollar business might that be

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
what multi million dollar business might that be
Seasonal field service operations transitioning over the years into software and logistics :)

Back on topic though, trust me there's a lot of people who live their lives 'high', it's just not evident because the effects are personal and internal. Calling THC or CBD a performance enhancing drug is akin to calling Tylenol an anesthetic, it's laughable.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I'm undercover high right now....

I remember when my daughter found out for the first time I smoked Cannabis. She asked me when I started.... "Before you were born....".... then asked how often..... "Always....."

Never had a clue....

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
To the OP: yours is an inspiring story and you deserve credit for your courage. Thank you for sharing.

I’m just beginning to conduct my own research, but if any knowledgeable person is able to offer some guidance with the scenario I’m about to outline, I’d be truly appreciative.

My elderly father has very bad rheumatoid arthritis — he did not see a doctor until it was too late and now his fingers are folded over (“claw hands”) and he does not even have the dexterity to insert his hearing aids.

I realize that there is no cure for rheumatoid arthritis, but the medication he currently takes, Celebrex, is largely ineffective.

Is there a CBD product (oil?) that might offer him some safe relief from the inflammation?

Any honest advice would be appreciated.

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
To the OP: yours is an inspiring story and you deserve credit for your courage. Thank you for sharing.

I’m just beginning to conduct my own research, but if any knowledgeable person is able to offer some guidance with the scenario I’m about to outline, I’d be truly appreciative.

My elderly father has very bad rheumatoid arthritis — he did not see a doctor until it was too late and now his fingers are folded over (“claw hands”) and he does not even have the dexterity to insert his hearing aids.

I realize that there is no cure for rheumatoid arthritis, but the medication he currently takes, Celebrex, is largely ineffective.

Is there a CBD product (oil?) that might offer him some safe relief from the inflammation?

Im no expert by any means but I would say it’s definitely worth a try. I heard the good cbd oil takes about a month of taking it daily to start seeing the benefits which might be tough if you’re expecting a miracle out of it right away but again, I’m far from an expert on the subject.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Seasonal field service operations transitioning over the years into software and logistics :)

Back on topic though, trust me there's a lot of people who live their lives 'high', it's just not evident because the effects are personal and internal. Calling THC or CBD a performance enhancing drug is akin to calling Tylenol an anesthetic, it's laughable.

since you're running a multi-million-dollar successful business, it's safe to say that your company is well known in its industry and also to the public. What company is it?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

Millions of people are daily alcoholics and function at a ten as well.

And millions of people are daily sober and function at a ten as well.

The question is, why do the first group use substances on a daily basis and the second group do not, but both might reap the same results?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Im no expert by any means but I would say it’s definitely worth a try. I heard the good cbd oil takes about a month of taking it daily to start seeing the benefits which might be tough if you’re expecting a miracle out of it right away but again, I’m far from an expert on the subject.
When they start you on it they say if the dose isn't strong enough up it every 2 days. It does take time to get into the system but it's not that long. You'll feel drowsy for a day until your body adjusts from my own experience.

Reactions: Snip Genos

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Millions of people are daily alcoholics and function at a ten as well.

And millions of people are daily sober and function at a ten as well.

The question is, why do the first group use substances on a daily basis and the second group do not, but both might reap the same results?

since you're running a multi-million-dollar successful business, it's safe to say that your company is well known in its industry and also to the public. What company is it?

Wouldn't you love to know.

As for the alcohol comparison, the effects of cannabis are nowhere close. Furthermore, CBD alone does not have any psychotropic effects at all. Thanks to prohibition ending, we now have products on the market that can deliver the desired medicinal and mental effects without in any way inhibiting a person's sobriety.

Think of the cannabis industry as foremost homeopathic and focus on educating yourself and others rather than spreading misconstrued opinions.

Reactions: weems and Ratboy

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

It's possible that cbd would help him as it's a very strong anti inflammatory. Perhaps by combining with the celebrex your father would see some relief.. but theres no harm in trying.

Its safer than every pharmaceutical out there.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Wouldn't you love to know.

As for the alcohol comparison, the effects of cannabis are nowhere close. Furthermore, CBD alone does not have any psychotropic effects at all. Thanks to prohibition ending, we now have products on the market that can deliver the desired medicinal and mental effects without in any way inhibiting a person's sobriety.

Think of the cannabis industry as foremost homeopathic and focus on educating yourself and others rather than spreading misconstrued opinions.

You won't name your multi-million dollar company... right, exactly what we thought

when you meet someone new, at a social gathering or something... and during the course of conversation (just like this) you mention that you are the owner of a multi-million-dollar company... and then of course the people you are conversing with ask you which company is it... do you tell them "oh sorry.. I can't tell you what it is" ?

weems

Jul 3, 2008

When it comes to targeting a specific illness, Terpene profile is everything.

Hopefully this chart could help with possibly honing in on what type of flower, oil, concentrate he needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad