OT: The next hidden edge? (Cannabis/CBD)

weems

Jul 3, 2008
So I've been wanting to start this topic for awhile but wasn't sure how it would be received but just saw Riley Cote speak out about this and with legalization upcoming now seems like a decent time.

I was a hockey player who had his dreams cut short early on due to injury and also had a few concussions along the way. The aftermath of this was not good and I fell into a huge depression with anxiety so overwhelming it totally ruined about 10-15 years of my life. It was always just a psychological thing until about two years ago where my situation got so bad my body started to break down. Yep at first when I told my doctor about the pain, she said maybe it could be anxiety related but I laughed and said no way, I've had anxiety for years and never experienced debilitating pain throughout my body or anything close.

I was put on every pain medication and anti depressant known to man and to be honest most if not all just made the whole situation worse and I felt like a total zombie and slept 75% of the day. Things were getting really bad and I had almost reached the point of giving up hope. It's one thing to be depressed and not feel great about your life but its a entirely different beast when your body gives out on you and you basically cant do anything besides take some pharmaceuticals and hope for the best.

At this point I decided I wasn't just going to give up and started to do extensive research into things that could possibly help me out of this hole. The one thing that kept popping up but wasn't being promoted with much volume was Cannabis. I had experimented with it during my youth so knew a bit about it and decided to give it a try considering how many people swore by it.

Not lying after about one month of "medicating" with Cannabis my body had regained full functionality and my mind was on fire and feeling better than ever.

When I say medicate I want to be specific. I wasn't "smoking" I was using a dry herbal vape. I wasn't using traditional high THC strains that are mostly designed to get you high. I was using high CBD strains and attempting to do it in the most efficient and healthy way possible.

Cannabis has been a very misunderstood plant but with each passing day more and more data and research is coming out proving just how amazingly medicinal it really is and I can say with certainty it saved my life.

I fully believe in the not too distant future many people will use this for all types of ailments both physical and mental.

The amazing part about this movement is that people no longer have to smoke it and can consume it thru oils, capsules, edibles and vape.

I know many people are going to TLDR this but hopefully even a few people who might be in a tough spot can read this and possibly take the leap of faith because I truly believe it has the potential to greatly improve many peoples lives that are currently struggling. I really wonder how much better off some of these ex players who are badly struggling with mental illness would be if they used Cannabis instead of some of the cr*p doctors prescribe them.

I have no idea if medical teams throughout sports are starting to treat their athletes with CBD but eventually they will.

If Dubas is as progressive of a thinker as many say he should really look deep into this thing because its at its infancy stage and people who embrace this instead of buy into the stigma's of the past will most likely greatly benefit. I have no idea where CBD falls in the NHL allowed substances but eventually it should be legal and the teams that are quick to use this to treat their players will be ahead of the curve.

It would be cool to hear more peoples stories about Cannabis or CBD in general and how much its improved their quality of life.

Last edited:

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Congrats on getting the help you needed and overcoming your issues. I absolutely agree with you that MJ was held back probably by corporate interests and the "reefer madness" hysteria of the past.

I don't know what's up next, but you're right it has to be dealt with.

Reactions: Eye Test and weems

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So I've been wanting to start this topic for awhile but wasn't sure how it would be received but just saw Riley Cote speak out about this and with legalization upcoming now seems like a decent time.

I was a hockey player who had his dreams cut short early on due to injury (knee) and also had a few concussions along the way. The aftermath of this was not good and I fell into a huge depression with anxiety so overwhelming it totally ruined about 10-15 years of my life. It was always just a psychological thing until about two years ago where my situation got so bad my body started to break down. Yep at first when I told my doctor about the pain, she said maybe it could be anxiety related but I laughed and said no way, I've had anxiety for years and never experienced debilitating pain throughout my body or anything close.

I was put on every pain medication and anti depressant known to man and to be honest most if not all just made the whole situation worse and I felt like a total zombie and slept 75% of the day. Things were getting really bad and I had almost reached the point of giving up hope. It's one thing to be depressed and not feel great about your life but its a entirely different beast when your body gives out on you and you basically cant do anything besides take some pharmaceuticals and hope for the best.

At this point I decided I wasn't just going to give up and started to do extensive research into things that could possibly help me out of this hole. The one thing that kept popping up but wasn't being promoted with much volume was Cannabis. I had experimented with it during my youth so knew a bit about it and decided to give it a try considering how many people swore by it.

Not lying after about one month of "medicating" with Cannabis my body had regained full functionality and my mind was on fire and feeling better than ever.

When I say medicate I want to be specific. I wasn't "smoking" I was using a dry herbal vape. I wasn't using traditional high THC strains that are mostly designed to get you high. I was using high CBD strains and attempting to do it in the most efficient and healthy way possible.

Cannabis has been a very misunderstood plant but with each passing day more and more data and research is coming out proving just how amazingly medicinal it really is and I can say with certainty it saved my life.

I fully believe in the not too distant future many people will use this for all types of ailments both physical and mental.

The amazing part about this movement is that people no longer have to smoke it and can consume it thru oils, capsules, edibles and vape.

I know many people are going to TLDR this but hopefully even a few people who might be in a tough spot can read this and possibly take the leap of faith because I truly believe it has the potential to greatly improve many peoples lives that are currently struggling. I really wonder how much better off some of these ex players who are badly struggling with mental illness would be if they used Cannabis instead of some of the cr*p doctors prescribe them.

I have no idea if medical teams throughout sports are starting to treat their athletes with CBD but eventually they will.

If Dubas is as progressive of a thinker as many say he should really look deep into this thing because its at its infancy stage and people who embrace this instead of buy into the stigma's of the past will most likely greatly benefit. I have no idea where CBD falls in the NHL allowed substances but eventually it should be legal and the teams that are quick to use this to treat their players will be ahead of the curve.

It would be cool to hear more peoples stories about Cannabis or CBD in general and how much its improved their quality of life.

Sounds like quite the battle you had on your hands and I'm glad you found something that worked for you so well and helped turn things around. Good post, useful information for people with hockey injuries!

Reactions: OddyOh and weems

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I know a number of anecdotal stories from athletes who use it, and expound its benefits.
I train brazilian jiu-jitsu and there are lots of teammates who credit it keeping them going and on the mats at advanced age. One of our black belts is a 4x world champion and is 45 years old, takes it everyday and swears its been the difference keeping his inflammation in check, improving recovery time and pain free.

Reactions: weems and Kurtz

member 262271

Thanks for sharing all of that, glad you've found something that's helped. I've tried CBD personally for pain/anxiety but it's almost too strong for me (I get loopy) gotta try some different kinds I'd think that are low in THC.

Very interesting thought too regarding CBDs role in the league going forward, I can't see why it won't be used by non biased minds, hopefully Dubas.

Reactions: weems

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
CBD oil relieves inflammation, improves sleep quality, and helps with stress/anxiety, while having no detrimental effects (does not get you high or make you hungry or drowsy).

All athletes should be taking it.

Someone should post about what concentration to get and things like that. Legal status etc etc etc.

Reactions: supermann_98

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm so happy you found a natural, safe way to heal yourself. That's amazing.

This plant has been used by Chinese medicine for thousands of years. CBD is natural, has anti-anxiety, anti-epileptic, and anti-psychotic properties as well as others I'm sure we'll eventually discover. It also helps kill some cancer cells (proven now). They're even looking into creating new anti-psychotic meds with it, which would be a big improvement over what they have now (basically diabetes in a bottle).

The fact that it's been so held back by the law is a crime in itself. Personally I want to try it to see what it does for anxiety, street weed these days is just a THC smack up the head. It's not enjoyable anymore, for me.

Good luck to you, weems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zizzzzy and weems

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I turned down a job because the husband was an ex-JTF2 (elite special operations force) and built like a bull.
The sheer mass of his torso was intimidating, but his demeanor was down-right scary. It was like being around
a mother bear someone just wounded. The state of his mind was clearly evident. He's now using Cannabis for
his PTSD and is a completely different person.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018

I was a hockey player who had his dreams cut short early on due to injury (knee) and also had a few concussions along the way. The aftermath of this was not good and I fell into a huge depression with anxiety so overwhelming it totally ruined about 10-15 years of my life. It was always just a psychological thing until about two years ago where my situation got so bad my body started to break down. Yep at first when I told my doctor about the pain, she said maybe it could be anxiety related but I laughed and said no way, I've had anxiety for years and never experienced debilitating pain throughout my body or anything close.

Way to go, bro!

Reactions: weems

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I'm happy you found something to ease your pain and regain your functionality. Nevertheless, whenever I smoke it I just get paranoid. It does absolutely nothing for me so I stay away from that stuff. It is what it is, to each his own! Cheers!

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes

I've been tackling the idea of using strains like this (high CBD) for my back. I've been struggling with back problems for 2 decades now, last year I hit a pretty low point. If you have constant pain all the time, you know what affect that has on your well being. I guess my only concern is the affect on memory, my memory is already crappy, so I didn't want to make it worse. Have you noticed any problems? Do you take it going to bed, or during the day?
Glad it is working for you!

I wouldn't have a problem with professional athletes using it, its by know means giving them a edge, its a way for them to deal with constant pain.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I've been tackling the idea of using strains like this (high CBD) for my back. I've been struggling with back problems for 2 decades now, last year I hit a pretty low point. If you have constant pain all the time, you know what affect that has on your well being. I guess my only concern is the affect on memory, my memory is already crappy, so I didn't want to make it worse. Have you noticed any problems? Do you take it going to bed, or during the day?
Glad it is working for you!

I wouldn't have a problem with professional athletes using it, its by know means giving them a edge, its a way for them to deal with constant pain.

This will sound funny but my brain actually functions much better since I've started using it. I think what I'm suggesting is much different than the traditional idea of what consuming Cannabis has been.

CBD is a non pyschoactive so you don't experience much of a "high" but moreso just a very nice feeling of calm and really helps with pains in the body.

I take it various times of the day but my vision for athletes would be something similar to this video.

This is Eugene Monroe, former NFL player and first round pick whos one of Cannabis's biggest advocates.

at 4:40 he just puts a drop of tincture into his workout drink and rubs CBD creams on his neck.

at the 10 minute mark they have a full meal infused with Cannabis.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

There is no distinction between THC and CBD as the banned substance's according to WADA.

The cannabis products marijuana and hashish are also banned in competition due to their cannabinoid content.
CBD is truly an amazing substance? Compound? Chemical? Unfortunately where sporting agencies are run by older than dust people, their impression of pot is along the lines of that movie "Reefer Madness". It will be a long time before CBD is removed from the banned substance list.

I've heard of people who are fighting cancer, are so weak they can't eat and after treatment with "Angel Tears" (CBD Oil) they regain their appetite, start to eat again, regain their strength.

I'm not a user of weed, but I do see the benefits of CBD. Like anything in this world Cannabis products are not for everyone and they can have serious long lasting effects for some people with preexisting conditions, research Schizophrenia and Canabis. I strongly recommend that people do not self medicate and medicate only under the supervision of their Dr.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm happy you found something to ease your pain and regain your functionality. Nevertheless, whenever I smoke it I just get paranoid. It does absolutely nothing for me so I stay away from that stuff. It is what it is, to each his own! Cheers!

That's the THC doing what it does best, creating a feeling of psychosis. ;)

Reactions: Zizzzzy and weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
There is no distinction between THC and CBD as the banned substance's according to WADA.

The cannabis products marijuana and hashish are also banned in competition due to their cannabinoid content.
CBD is truly an amazing substance? Compound? Chemical? Unfortunately where sporting agencies are run by older than dust people, their impression of pot is along the lines of that movie "Reefer Madness". It will be a long time before CBD is removed from the banned substance list.

I've heard of people who are fighting cancer, are so weak they can't eat and after treatment with "Angel Tears" (CBD Oil) they regain their appetite, start to eat again, regain their strength.

I'm not a user of weed, but I do see the benefits of CBD. Like anything in this world Cannabis products are not for everyone and they can have serious long lasting effects for some people with preexisting conditions, research Schizophrenia and Canabis. I strongly recommend that people do not self medicate and medicate only under the supervision of their Dr.

I follow this one woman on twitter.
She had this deathly stomach disease and was living with a tube in her stomach and was slowly withering away.
She found Cannabis and since has healed herself so well that she no longer needs the tube and is doing amazing.

One of the keys here is trying to eliminate the "smoking process".
Smoking anything is not good for you. When you smoke a joint, bong, pipe etc combustion happens and you inhale tons of harmfull toxins.
That's where education needs to come in and the mass's need to be shown that Cannabis is a individual plant on its own and shouldn't only be associated with smoking it because nowadays theres so many available consumption methods that are far healthier.

I'm not suggesting athletes spark up a J during intermission. They wouldn't go past oils and creams or cannabis infused meals.

Here's an interesting quote on even the benefits of just vaporizing vs the traditional method

"Vaporizers work by heating up marijuana to the point were certain cannabinoids “boil” and literally evaporate, leaving behind just fibrous plant matter. When you light a joint, the smoke is a mix of cannabinoids and a number of somewhat toxic combustion by-products, such as PAHs.
In fact, analysis has shown that joint smoke only contains just over 10% cannabinoids, the rest consists of combustion products. In contrast, the clouds that come out of a vaporizer contain up to 95% cannabinoids, with only small traces of PAHs"

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I don't smoke (or do other drugs) but I totally support the legalization and I think it is downright insane that athletes don't get the benefit of MJ whether it is medicinal or just recreational. I hate the friggin smell of it with a passion and it bothers me when people just casually light it up wherever they damn please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad