OT: The next hidden edge? (Cannabis/CBD)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Thanks for bringing this topic up weems.

A member of my immediate family was diagnosed with late stage metastatic cancer this summer. It's been a devastating few months for us, with some hopeful days and some downright horrible days.

The one thing that has helped her the most to deal with the physical pain, the anxiety and sleepless nights has been CBD oils.

A small dose in the morning and a small dose in the evening. No stoner effects (it's almost pure CBD). It truly is an amazing remedy, and has lifted her state of well being considerably.

And it's lowered her dependancy on morphine, which has much worse side effects, but the docs are quick to prescribe it because that's what big pharma pushes onto us.

I would absolutely recommend CBD to anyone dealing with any kind of serious physical and/or emotional hardship.

Can anyone recommend where one can get some quality CBD? I know someone who has been thinking of giving this a try. Ideal would be no stoner effects, just something for anxiety.

Edit - sorry to hear about what your family is going through and glad this has helped somewhat. I should have started with saying that of course, my apologies. I know several people who have gone through similar things and words can't begin to express how pissed I am at big pharma.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Has any player ever failed a pee test for cannibas?
'Cause I can't think of one.

Either way, are we really to believe that absolutely none of them are doing anything in that vein?
Maybe the league doesn't actually test for it.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Thanks for bringing this topic up weems.

A member of my immediate family was diagnosed with late stage metastatic cancer this summer. It's been a devastating few months for us, with some hopeful days and some downright horrible days.

The one thing that has helped her the most to deal with the physical pain, the anxiety and sleepless nights has been CBD oils.

A small dose in the morning and a small dose in the evening. No stoner effects (it's almost pure CBD). It truly is an amazing remedy, and has lifted her state of well being considerably.

And it's lowered her dependancy on morphine, which has much worse side effects, but the docs are quick to prescribe it because that's what big pharma pushes onto us.

I would absolutely recommend CBD to anyone dealing with any kind of serious physical and/or emotional hardship.

So sorry to hear man.
Hopefully once this thing gets legalized and more people learn this is real, amazing medicine, it can save or greatly improve many peoples lives.
It's actually pretty sad its almost 2020 and a natural plant that is insanely medicinal is still illegal and many doctors wont even turn to it.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Has any player ever failed a pee test for cannibas?
'Cause I can't think of one.

Either way, are we really to believe that absolutely none of them are doing anything in that vein?
Maybe the league doesn't actually test for it.

Testing for it seems pointless - it wouldn't improve performance so what would be the point? And I'd be surprised if anyone thought that no NHL players smoke some weed every now and than.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Can anyone recommend where one can get some quality CBD? I know someone who has been thinking of giving this a try. Ideal would be no stoner effects, just something for anxiety.

I think the best thing for the person would be either going to their doctor and say they'd like to go this route or make a appointment at a cannabis clinic.
As long as the reason you're asking to use this medicine is legitimate, they will almost certainly give the go ahead.

I would say this LP called PeaceNaturals out of Stayner is maybe the best place to get oils.

They have quite an amazing selection.

Products - The Peace Naturals Project

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Once Cannabis is legal in this country, t-minus 8 days now players should be able to consume it in whichever way they please, as long as it doesn't effect their performance on the ice, players can smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol for example so it shouldn't be an issue.

I know it helps with epilepsy reducing peoples seizures from as high as 20+ a month to just 1-2 or none at all and perhaps it could help with concussions too. I think particularly consuming it in the oil/edible form is far better and safer in general compared to smoking it and its also better than some weird pill medicines where you can't even pronounce the names of their ingredients.

Reactions: weems

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm happy you found something to ease your pain and regain your functionality. Nevertheless, whenever I smoke it I just get paranoid. It does absolutely nothing for me so I stay away from that stuff. It is what it is, to each his own! Cheers!
What if you're not paranoid? What if they are really out to get you?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Ya I think this is also one of the biggest misconceptions with Cannabis.
A lot of people think its just one thing (you know the whole stigma that it just makes you lazy, hungry, unproductive). Sure there's plenty of forms of Cannabis that will do this but theres also many forms that will steer you in the other direction and make you feel energetic, euphoric, productive and even sometimes not hungry.

Yes, true, makes me want to clean.......everything.:eek:

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015

Edit - sorry to hear about what your family is going through and glad this has helped somewhat. I should have started with saying that of course, my apologies. I know several people who have gone through similar things and words can't begin to express how pissed I am at big pharma.

I’ve been ordering from gotweedcanada.com for a few months now. Great product, unbeatable prices and a wide selection. (I sound like I work for them, but I’m just a stoner ;)
They usually have 1 or 2 high CBD strains in stock. There are chemical analysis measurements for each strain.

If anyone is interested, pm me and I’ll add you to my referrals. We both get bonuses after five purchases.

Edit - btw they almost always have a $99/oz on sale and it’s always a quality Kush. Great deal!

Edit pt 2 - current CBD products... Buy CBD Concentrates Online in Canada | Cannabinoid Cannabinol (CBD)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Good first step would be your Dr... Medicinal cannabis products are grown in a controlled environment so you know what you are getting, it will even tell you the % of CBD. if you by off the street you have no clue the % of CBD or any clue if you are getting what you are being told you are getting.

I can't stress enough don't self-diagnose or self medicate, I can speak from experience sometimes symptoms, like anxiety are exactly that symptoms of a bigger issue and not the real problem. If it's you that has anxiety go to your Dr and get a full meal deal blood test, test for every thing under the sun. For me it came down to my diet, once they figured out what I was short on they put me on a corrected diet and I've been better ever since. A diet suited for me corrected my anxiety symptoms are gone, my hypoglycemia symptoms are gone, my insomnia is gone, my lack of focus is gone, my exhaustion is gone. It took 4 years of constant tests and my persistence with my Dr., he would test for something and it came back negative, another thing negative at one point he tried to put me on heavy drugs and I told him I wasn't doing it and he had to find a natural treatment that did not involve pharma chemicals. Eventually it came down to my research and asking him to test for something specific.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
As far as I know, Cannabis is the oldest cultivated plant, next to the potato. Us humans have been using for a long time. Canada is the second country in the world to officially legalize it for recreational use, Uruguay was first, I believe.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
As far as I know, Cannabis is the oldest cultivated plant, next to the potato. Us humans have been using for a long time. Canada is the second country in the world to officially legalize it for recreational use, Uruguay was first, I believe.
I would've thought it was Amsterdam.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens

Thanks Gary and no need to say sorry, I appreciate your kind words. It’s changed my perspective on life, to make the most of every day and try not stress on the past or future.

We order CBD oil through an online distributor, but they require a doctor’s prescription and approval through a cannabis clinic.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
So sorry to hear man.
Hopefully once this thing gets legalized and more people learn this is real, amazing medicine, it can save or greatly improve many peoples lives.
It's actually pretty sad its almost 2020 and a natural plant that is insanely medicinal is still illegal and many doctors wont even turn to it.

Thanks Weems, and I couldn’t agree more. If used properly, it can do what no other chemical drug can do. Glad it’s almost legal, and I hope one day we see it prescribed much more often than it is now.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
CH-MacKinnon-10_12_2018_original.jpg

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
i get cbd oil for my dogs arthritis ...helps her immensely..order online from apawthecarypets.com...arrives in 2 days from BC...my friend had severe anxiety and was prescribed cbd gummy bears lol...she says it changed her life...my friends dad had an inoperable tumor in his throat and as a last resort started thc oil and now the tumor has shrunk enough that they are now going to remove it...can't say enough about the benefits of cbd/thc for medicinal purposes ....

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
The medicine I use is literally sub 1% THC /13% CBD and this is what most people that are looking for medical relief should be aiming for (or even a 1:1 breakdown with less than 10% THC).

It's very much like all other types of meds in that its very trial and error and what works for you might not work for someone else. Theres a zillion different strains that have the effects that can range from wanting to run a marathon to putting you out like a light within 10 minutes.

The crux of the matter and I’m happy that you used this word. CBDs and THC are two different animals. Happily, you like others discovered the benefits of the medicinal qualities of CBDs. I wish they were legal where I live, arthritis and two new knees as of this past May, but the consequences of trying to slide them past customs is a no-go. Regardless, you’ve identified an interesting issue which, I suspect, will be a part of the upcoming CBA discussions. Specifically, the use in Canada vs the US.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
i get cbd oil for my dogs arthritis ...helps her immensely..order online from apawthecarypets.com...arrives in 2 days from BC...my friend had severe anxiety and was prescribed cbd gummy bears lol...she says it changed her life...my friends dad had an inoperable tumor in his throat and as a last resort started thc oil and now the tumor has shrunk enough that they are now going to remove it...can't say enough about the benefits of cbd/thc for medicinal purposes ....

Stories like this are amazing and are only going to grow when more people become educated on this medicine.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
https://www.tsn.ca/duchene-scheifele-and-mcdavid-weigh-in-on-marijuana-legalization-1.1191903

McDavid

"I say this more talking about the CBD side of it, obviously: You'd be stupid not to at least look into it," Edmonton Oilers captain Connor McDavid said. "When your body's sore like it is sometimes, you don't want to be taking pain stuff and taking Advil all the time. There's obviously better ways to do it. ... You're seeing a lot of smart guys look into it. You're seeing a lot of really smart doctors look into it. If all the boxes are checked there and it's safe and everything like that, then I think you would maybe hear them out."

Last edited:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Yes, true, makes me want to clean.......everything.:eek:
Ok so it's official.. now I want some of what you're having ;)

"I don't need to be a criminal anymore, and that's a great feeling," said [some guy], who
in 2001 had been arrested for possession in Saskatchewan. "And my new dealer is the prime minister!"

lol

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Interesting hearing Ross Rebagliati talk about how many current professional athletes are using Cannabis to get away from the opioid pushing.

CBD in oil form should become pretty popular amongst high performance athletes.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Here is the current challenge. Making quality CBD, that is consistent, and as advertised takes very expensive equipment, that the vast majority of sellers don't have. As a result, approximately 70% of the CBD oil on the market, doesn't contain what it claims, and may differ from batch to batch. Approx 50% doesn't contain as much as they claim, 20% has more than they claim. Approx 20% contains varying levels of THC, which can have the opposite affect, and increase anxiety etc..

10% of users end up with significant liver damage.

To date, studies on CBD have mostly been very flawed, though the current exception is Epilepsy, where it has been shown to very effective. That isn't to say that CBD won't be proven to help with anxiety, etc... as there is anecdotal support for it, though that is often weak on it's own.

It can also be expensive, think upwards of $250 a month...

My ex is trying to convince my daughter to dump her prescription meds for anxiety/depression at the current time. Looking at it from a scientific perspective, I'm somewhat skeptical, and concerned about the quality of product available, what is in it, and the potential risks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad