OT: The next hidden edge? (Cannabis/CBD)

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It's all legal today! Booyah! A great victory for those who use it medicinally, or just cause they like it. I'm gonna order some CBD oil myself and check it out!

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Here is the current challenge. Making quality CBD, that is consistent, and as advertised takes very expensive equipment, that the vast majority of sellers don't have. As a result, approximately 70% of the CBD oil on the market, doesn't contain what it claims, and may differ from batch to batch. Approx 50% doesn't contain as much as they claim, 20% has more than they claim. Approx 20% contains varying levels of THC, which can have the opposite affect, and increase anxiety etc..

10% of users end up with significant liver damage.

To date, studies on CBD have mostly been very flawed, though the current exception is Epilepsy, where it has been shown to very effective. That isn't to say that CBD won't be proven to help with anxiety, etc... as there is anecdotal support for it, though that is often weak on it's own.

It can also be expensive, think upwards of $250 a month...

My ex is trying to convince my daughter to dump her prescription meds for anxiety/depression at the current time. Looking at it from a scientific perspective, I'm somewhat skeptical, and concerned about the quality of product available, what is in it, and the potential risks.

Are those numbers that you posted in regards to the black market?

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Who are these reputable dealers? Are they getting it all from licensed producers?

Many LP's in the US are tiny in scale compared to companies like Canopy, Aurora, Aphria.

For example you can go on a site like Aurora and get a full detailed certificate of analysis from an independent testing source (in their case Anandia).

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cosmicjs/45f87650-d0d6-11e8-b5c0-6b622c85fc58-auroracbddrops.pdf

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's all legal today! Booyah! A great victory for those who use it medicinally, or just cause they like it. I'm gonna order some CBD oil myself and check it out!
CBD oil did absolute wonders for my psoriasis. I sincerely advise anyone who suffers from skin conditions to look into it. Nothing the doctor gave me worked even close to as well as CBD oil.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
So I've been wanting to start this topic for awhile but wasn't sure how it would be received but just saw Riley Cote speak out about this and with legalization upcoming now seems like a decent time.

I was a hockey player who had his dreams cut short early on due to injury (knee) and also had a few concussions along the way. The aftermath of this was not good and I fell into a huge depression with anxiety so overwhelming it totally ruined about 10-15 years of my life. It was always just a psychological thing until about two years ago where my situation got so bad my body started to break down. Yep at first when I told my doctor about the pain, she said maybe it could be anxiety related but I laughed and said no way, I've had anxiety for years and never experienced debilitating pain throughout my body or anything close.

I was put on every pain medication and anti depressant known to man and to be honest most if not all just made the whole situation worse and I felt like a total zombie and slept 75% of the day. Things were getting really bad and I had almost reached the point of giving up hope. It's one thing to be depressed and not feel great about your life but its a entirely different beast when your body gives out on you and you basically cant do anything besides take some pharmaceuticals and hope for the best.

At this point I decided I wasn't just going to give up and started to do extensive research into things that could possibly help me out of this hole. The one thing that kept popping up but wasn't being promoted with much volume was Cannabis. I had experimented with it during my youth so knew a bit about it and decided to give it a try considering how many people swore by it.

Not lying after about one month of "medicating" with Cannabis my body had regained full functionality and my mind was on fire and feeling better than ever.

When I say medicate I want to be specific. I wasn't "smoking" I was using a dry herbal vape. I wasn't using traditional high THC strains that are mostly designed to get you high. I was using high CBD strains and attempting to do it in the most efficient and healthy way possible.

Cannabis has been a very misunderstood plant but with each passing day more and more data and research is coming out proving just how amazingly medicinal it really is and I can say with certainty it saved my life.

I fully believe in the not too distant future many people will use this for all types of ailments both physical and mental.

The amazing part about this movement is that people no longer have to smoke it and can consume it thru oils, capsules, edibles and vape.

I know many people are going to TLDR this but hopefully even a few people who might be in a tough spot can read this and possibly take the leap of faith because I truly believe it has the potential to greatly improve many peoples lives that are currently struggling. I really wonder how much better off some of these ex players who are badly struggling with mental illness would be if they used Cannabis instead of some of the cr*p doctors prescribe them.

I have no idea if medical teams throughout sports are starting to treat their athletes with CBD but eventually they will.

If Dubas is as progressive of a thinker as many say he should really look deep into this thing because its at its infancy stage and people who embrace this instead of buy into the stigma's of the past will most likely greatly benefit. I have no idea where CBD falls in the NHL allowed substances but eventually it should be legal and the teams that are quick to use this to treat their players will be ahead of the curve.

It would be cool to hear more peoples stories about Cannabis or CBD in general and how much its improved their quality of life.
Good to hear my friend. I've been using CBD for quite a long time now and I'm happy to see that it's really starting to gain traction vs the stereotypical THC crowd I.e a bunch of lazy stoners eating doritos, not that there's anything wrong with doing that. I use CBD for tendonitis from multiple sports injuries, as well as nerve damage from another injury, it really helps for pain and inflammation. As someone who has a very low tolerance for pain meds, it's a great alternative. I will say though to anyone looking to try CBD; do your research and make sure it's CBD from Cannabis, not CBD from hemp. There's snake oil salesmen out there who've been trying to sell CBD hemp oil in most towns and it's as effective as a sugar pill. I see no reason why the NHL wouldn't allow a legal substance to be used, especially since we know opioid abuse is a problem that effects so many in society, from street junkie to pro athletes. If you guys wanna see a cool story, check out Charlotte's web on YouTube. Great story.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm happy you found something to ease your pain and regain your functionality. Nevertheless, whenever I smoke it I just get paranoid. It does absolutely nothing for me so I stay away from that stuff. It is what it is, to each his own! Cheers!
The paranoia is likely coming from the THC levels being way too high. In the 20+ percentage range. Try something much lower, around 8% or lower. This isn't our parents or grandparents pot anymore. Back in the 60's the majority of pot was around 5% THC, now it's around 20%. I don't find much pleasure in it myself at all.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Durham region, Kingston road is stopping quite a lot of cars today. I was on work in that area and I swear I saw total of over 20 cops stopping people in about 2 hours time.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Interesting hearing Ross Rebagliati talk about how many current professional athletes are using Cannabis to get away from the opioid pushing.

CBD in oil form should become pretty popular amongst high performance athletes.

As someone who doesn't use nor has ever tried marijuana, there is a common misconception marijuana is something people smoke whose skunky smell can be smelled by miles away.

But I know many people, including older "straight-as-a-board" women who use CBD oil, whether they are insomniac and to help them relax while trying to fall asleep, or to help with any physical ailments they may have. And in each case they say it has done wonders for them.

With the amount of travel as well as physical toll these athletes endure, this might be revolutionary in many facets of sports and its athletes.

Reactions: weems

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm glad you guys got it legalized

When my cousin was dying of cancer cannabis oil was one of the few things that helped him with his pain and I've been fighting for it's legalization ever since

I hope my government follows suit

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Who are these reputable dealers? Are they getting it all from licensed producers?

Many LP's in the US are tiny in scale compared to companies like Canopy, Aurora, Aphria.

For example you can go on a site like Aurora and get a full detailed certificate of analysis from an independent testing source (in their case Anandia).

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cosmicjs/45f87650-d0d6-11e8-b5c0-6b622c85fc58-auroracbddrops.pdf

Which highlights one of the challenges. You don't want the THC, if you are using it for anxiety.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Which highlights one of the challenges. You don't want the THC, if you are using it for anxiety.

Ya I personally don't care much for THC but understand why people love it especially if you're using recreationally.

Anyways here's a cool site called Lift and Co that has tons of reviews for pretty much anything Cannabis related.

This review is on Aurora CBD drops (I think something like 150 reviews in total)

Lift & Co.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Good to hear my friend. I've been using CBD for quite a long time now and I'm happy to see that it's really starting to gain traction vs the stereotypical THC crowd I.e a bunch of lazy stoners eating doritos, not that there's anything wrong with doing that. I use CBD for tendonitis from multiple sports injuries, as well as nerve damage from another injury, it really helps for pain and inflammation. As someone who has a very low tolerance for pain meds, it's a great alternative. I will say though to anyone looking to try CBD; do your research and make sure it's CBD from Cannabis, not CBD from hemp. There's snake oil salesmen out there who've been trying to sell CBD hemp oil in most towns and it's as effective as a sugar pill. I see no reason why the NHL wouldn't allow a legal substance to be used, especially since we know opioid abuse is a problem that effects so many in society, from street junkie to pro athletes. If you guys wanna see a cool story, check out Charlotte's web on YouTube. Great story.
I'm dealing with nerve pain and that's why I want to get cbd oil to help tune down the nerves. I've been taking tulsi tea which is the best anti inflammatory I've found out of a bunch of herbs I've tried thus far. I don't want to keep taking NSAIDS forever so I'm really hoping this can do the trick. Anything to know to look out for?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The paranoia is likely coming from the THC levels being way too high. In the 20+ percentage range. Try something much lower, around 8% or lower. This isn't our parents or grandparents pot anymore. Back in the 60's the majority of pot was around 5% THC, now it's around 20%. I don't find much pleasure in it myself at all.

I don't even know if stuff like that is available, my impression is that everything is super strong. I hardly ever touch the stuff any more but for when I do, I'd love to get something milder.

Kadrillionaire

Oct 10, 2008
Ottawa
I don't even know if stuff like that is available, my impression is that everything is super strong. I hardly ever touch the stuff any more but for when I do, I'd love to get something milder.

There certainly is exactly what you're looking for. Man Bear Pig gave you a great guideline. 8% THC or less. The Ontario Cannabis Store that just opened today is surprisingly excellent, and you can search by THC content. Enjoy!!

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm dealing with nerve pain and that's why I want to get cbd oil to help tune down the nerves. I've been taking tulsi tea which is the best anti inflammatory I've found out of a bunch of herbs I've tried thus far. I don't want to keep taking NSAIDS forever so I'm really hoping this can do the trick. Anything to know to look out for?
I'm actually allergic to NSAIDS so it drove me to try other things. I'm not going to play doctor or be some dbag hipster pretending they're an expert here but I'd try simply buying a high CBD vaporizer online. 5-8% THC and 5-8% CBD or higher. Take a few puffs, sit down and see how you feel. I smoke it myself, the Charlotte's web strain that is, at the moment. It's not designed to get you high. My wife always laughs at me because after I smoke I start stretching from immediate relief. My advice is do your research because what may work for me may not work for you.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Easy to find if you buy it online or use apps. It's usually more expensive because most people don't want it, but it's around and they have lab tests with documentation showing CBD and THC levels in the cannabis. If you want something milder like me, shoot me a PM. Or anyone here for that matter. It's not about the buzz for me, its about relieving stress and pain, among other symptoms. I'm a huge advocate for it, obviously.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If you live in ontario the official website run by the government is the Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS) and they have the THC and CBD percentages listed. Plenty of different options including oils but everything must be ordered online.

Last edited:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah for the past decade or two the stuff on the street has been pushing the THC levels to absurdity. It's a massive mindf*** and barely enjoyable, but I guess that's what the kids like. I liked outdoor stuff over hydro but that was just me.

One of the best aspects of legalization is that we can now find much calmer weed which can help people with various ailments (without having to fight doctors over whether or not it was a "good idea" or not.) We're only decades and decades late on this one, but we made it!

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm actually allergic to NSAIDS so it drove me to try other things. I'm not going to play doctor or be some dbag hipster pretending they're an expert here but I'd try simply buying a high CBD vaporizer online. 5-8% THC and 5-8% CBD or higher. Take a few puffs, sit down and see how you feel. I smoke it myself, the Charlotte's web strain that is, at the moment. It's not designed to get you high. My wife always laughs at me because after I smoke I start stretching from immediate relief. My advice is do your research because what may work for me may not work for you.
For sure man, I hadn't even thought about vaping it cause you only really hear about the CBD oil. But it's really expensive and i already looked, its sold out on the website lol. So getting weed with the highest CBD ratio possible and vaping it is the most affordable solution. This plant has been used for millenia in Chinese medicine and other various modalities and it's ridiculous that it's taken this long, but it is what it is.

I'm mostly worried about NSAIDs leading to potential ulcers or internal bleeding. They can be effective but at a cost.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
THIS SO MUCH.

Highly potent pot is what was giving me bad cases of anxiety when I smoked it regularly about 12 years ago. It also could be a trigger for bi-polar disorder. I'm no scientist, but most of the people I know that smoked weed that was high in THC, and had at least one parent that was diagnosed for it, are on some kind of medication now. Usually lithium.

Another thing that can cause it is Candida Albicans. AKA, a yeast overgrowth in the gut. When I started delivering pizzas, the one guy I closed with would stretch a small pizza for me, and say "go nuts, I'm not the owner". I ate like a goddamn pig. A happy pig, but a pig nonetheless. After a few months of that, as well as drinking beer nightly, I started getting a lot of anxiety while driving. My gut bloated, and all I could do was mindlessly consume more pizza, since it was free and tasty.

After learning about C.A., and the effect it can have on not just your gut, but your mind as well, I started to clean up my diet. Eliminating carbohydrates was tough at first, especially working in that environment. But when I did, the anxiety stopped. After a while I finally reintroduced carbs to my diet, but only after the nasty gut bloating had subsided.

Aside from that, if people are dealing with chronic pain, they should honestly try Serrapeptase. My old chiropractor told me I have arthritis in my lower back, and was going to be stuck with it. I felt pain for a while, but after having a pill or two of 120,000IU per day of Serrapeptase, I haven't experienced any pain since.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
For sure man, I hadn't even thought about vaping it cause you only really hear about the CBD oil. But it's really expensive and i already looked, its sold out on the website lol. So getting weed with the highest CBD ratio possible and vaping it is the most affordable solution. This plant has been used for millenia in Chinese medicine and other various modalities and it's ridiculous that it's taken this long, but it is what it is.

I'm mostly worried about NSAIDs leading to potential ulcers or internal bleeding. They can be effective but at a cost.
Agreed. NSAIDS lead to all kinds of issues, especially problems with the liver. The temporary relief isn't worth it. Definitely check out some vaporizers, some may last months for you depending on use. For $70 a pen, that's not bad. Or just do what I do and order a hundred bucks worth of flower and smoke a bit at a time. That lasts me months. Its only purpose is pain relief. If you're low tolerance, even better. You should definitely look into it. Like I said, if you wanna be pointed in the right direction, I'll send you a link. It comes to your door, no signature, no nothing. Easy peasy.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Agreed. NSAIDS lead to all kinds of issues, especially problems with the liver. The temporary relief isn't worth it. Definitely check out some vaporizers, some may last months for you depending on use. For $70 a pen, that's not bad. Or just do what I do and order a hundred bucks worth of flower and smoke a bit at a time. That lasts me months. Its only purpose is pain relief. If you're low tolerance, even better. You should definitely look into it. Like I said, if you wanna be pointed in the right direction, I'll send you a link. It comes to your door, no signature, no nothing. Easy peasy.
Send that link pls. :)

Reactions: Gary Nylund

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
In relation to the topic at hand, I feel it will be a huge uphill battle for this to be introduced to the NHL until the States follow suit with law changes. Currently you have Canadians being barred from entering the states for simply owning cannabis related stock. Admitting you have used Cannabis can get you a lifetime ban from entering the country.

I cannot wait however, for the medical advances we are about to see.

This is factually inaccurate.
No one has been stopped from going in. The Border Service agents have said people COULD be barred for admitting to taking an illegal substance, but I havent seen 1 case actully happen recently.

One guy in BC was saying this allot last year, but it came out he was denied because he had served time for distribution of over a kg of the herb.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Here is the current challenge. Making quality CBD, that is consistent, and as advertised takes very expensive equipment, that the vast majority of sellers don't have. As a result, approximately 70% of the CBD oil on the market, doesn't contain what it claims, and may differ from batch to batch. Approx 50% doesn't contain as much as they claim, 20% has more than they claim. Approx 20% contains varying levels of THC, which can have the opposite affect, and increase anxiety etc..

10% of users end up with significant liver damage.

To date, studies on CBD have mostly been very flawed, though the current exception is Epilepsy, where it has been shown to very effective. That isn't to say that CBD won't be proven to help with anxiety, etc... as there is anecdotal support for it, though that is often weak on it's own.

It can also be expensive, think upwards of $250 a month...

My ex is trying to convince my daughter to dump her prescription meds for anxiety/depression at the current time. Looking at it from a scientific perspective, I'm somewhat skeptical, and concerned about the quality of product available, what is in it, and the potential risks.

Depends where you live.
If your in Canada you can write off a good amount of your CBD purchase as tax deductible.
The major playes (Aphria, Arora) have calculators that show how that works.
The Cannabas Act, the legislation that regulates the Canadian Licensed Producers (LPs) is very strict on levels being accurate on thc and cbd depending where its grown.
The higest quality that is most consistent is inside grows, as it is the easiest to have consistent variables on everything from lighting, heat to microbial cross contamination.
Second is greenhouse grown, and the lowest (and usually cheapest) is outdoor grown.

There is a ton of misinformation out there about cannabis, and a ton of research still needed to be done.
I work in the regulatory compliance and government relations side of a LP so Ive has to wade through the metric ton of bs to find the real information.

If anyone has any questions shoot me a pm.

Edit for those who want to know about the canadian tax break.
Here are two examples using different incomes and the same $2,500 in medical expenses:
  • If your net income is $70,000, you must deduct $2,100 from your total medical expenses. You will receive a credit of up to $400.
  • If your net income is $30,000, you must deduct $900 from your total medical expenses. You will receive a credit of up to $1,600.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zizzzzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad