OT: The next hidden edge? (Cannabis/CBD)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
FDA approves first drug comprised of an active ingredient derived from marijuana to treat rare, severe forms of epilepsy

It is slowly getting there, but you know big Pharma is going to try and own it.

You shouldn't have to self medicate, progressive doctors can prescribe. And smoking can and likely will impact your insurance costs. As Weems suggests, smoking should not be your delivery method.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Epidiolex (cannabidiol) [CBD] oral solution for the treatment of seizures associated with two rare and severe forms of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome, in patients two years of age and older. This is the first FDA-approved drug that contains a purified drug substance derived from marijuana. It is also the first FDA approval of a drug for the treatment of patients with Dravet syndrome.
CBD is a chemical component of the Cannabis sativa plant, more commonly known as marijuana. However, CBD does not cause intoxication or euphoria (the “high”) that comes from tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

It is THC (and not CBD) that is the primary psychoactive component of marijuana.

Medical cannabis products to be legalised - benefits of CBD oil revealed
Medical cannabis products to be legalised - benefits of CBD oil revealed

CANNABIS-based medicine will be available to UK patients in the autumn, after Home Secretary Sajid Javid relaxed the rules around medical cannabis. These are the top health benefits of taking CBD oil.

More at link.

Reactions: weems

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Very informative and brave post. Thanks for sharing and I am happy you have found something that works for you. That you want to also help others speaks to your good nature. Bravo!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Great post OP. I'm very happy to hear that you've found something to help you in your battles, nobody deserves to suffer and I applaud your effort here to reach others.

I'm very proud that Canada has decided to become a world leader with Cannabis. Not only will legalization have societal benefits, I think Canada will now play a leading role in developing medical research which can help millions like OP and others around the world.

Reactions: Zizzzzy and weems

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I'm happy you found something to ease your pain and regain your functionality. Nevertheless, whenever I smoke it I just get paranoid. It does absolutely nothing for me so I stay away from that stuff. It is what it is, to each his own! Cheers!

The Paranoia is from the THC, not the CBD. There are CBD strains that have virtually no THC (high) at all, and only the anti inflammatory and relaxing benefits.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
In relation to the topic at hand, I feel it will be a huge uphill battle for this to be introduced to the NHL until the States follow suit with law changes. Currently you have Canadians being barred from entering the states for simply owning cannabis related stock. Admitting you have used Cannabis can get you a lifetime ban from entering the country.

I cannot wait however, for the medical advances we are about to see.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
In relation to the topic at hand, I feel it will be a huge uphill battle for this to be introduced to the NHL until the States follow suit with law changes. Currently you have Canadians being barred from entering the states for simply owning cannabis related stock. Admitting you have used Cannabis can get you a lifetime ban from entering the country.

I cannot wait however, for the medical advances we are about to see.

Gun owners welcome though...

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
I'm no expert,.my only experience is with some edibles. And I definitely got high and my wife was just messed.

From my current understanding and reading CBD and THC should be categorized differently. If it is as the literature suggests I'm in support of legalizing CBD. However this all fell under the MJ umbrella and to me yes I'd be a bit scared of how the population handles it. My wife went from normal to nuts in a few minutes.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm no expert,.my only experience is with some edibles. And I definitely got high and my wife was just messed.

From my current understanding and reading CBD and THC should be categorized differently. If it is as the literature suggests I'm in support of legalizing CBD. However this all fell under the MJ umbrella and to me yes I'd be a bit scared of how the population handles it. My wife went from normal to nuts in a few minutes.

Just like there are different reactions to alcohol for people. Some people get really scary and dangerous ... but we're really discussing (IMO) the benefits of CBD, not the affects of THC.

Not that there's anything wrong with being medicated recreationally with safe product.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Most common strains of Cannabis contain around 15+% of THC and some strains reach levels of 23-24-25%.

If you're someone that's not familiar with Cannabis, that can be extremely overwhelming especially when you have a low tolerance.

The medicine I use is literally sub 1% THC /13% CBD and this is what most people that are looking for medical relief should be aiming for (or even a 1:1 breakdown with less than 10% THC).

But that is also one of the big problems with edibles in that sometimes they can really mess up the dosage and that individual cookie/brownie whatever could actually be giving you a lot more THC than advertised.

It also could have just been she doesn't react very well to whatever type she tried. For instance if you're someone with anxiety, having a high THC sativa might not be the best idea because its most likely going to make you even more on edge and she might do better with Indica strains.

It's very much like all other types of meds in that its very trial and error and what works for you might not work for someone else. Theres a zillion different strains that have the effects that can range from wanting to run a marathon to putting you out like a light within 10 minutes.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Edibles are an extremely sketchy and inadvisable way to experiment with it though. There's very little control over dosage, and you can't just wade your way into it. It's a bit like "trying" alcohol by downing a 26er. You're very unlikely to enjoy that or have anything good to say about it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Most common strains of Cannabis contain around 15+% of THC and some strains reach levels of 23-24-25%.

If you're someone that's not familiar with Cannabis, that can be extremely overwhelming especially when you have a low tolerance.

The medicine I use is literally sub 1% THC /13% CBD and this is what most people that are looking for medical relief should be aiming for (or even a 1:1 breakdown with less than 10% THC).

But that is also one of the big problems with edibles in that sometimes they can really mess up the dosage and that individual cookie/brownie whatever could actually be giving you a lot more THC than advertised.

It also could have just been she doesn't react very well to whatever type she tried. For instance if you're someone with anxiety, having a high THC sativa might not be the best idea because its most likely going to make you even more on edge and she might do better with Indica strains.

It's very much like all other types of meds in that its very trial and error and what works for you might not work for someone else. Theres a zillion different strains that have the effects that can range from wanting to run a marathon to putting you out like a light within 10 minutes.

Back around 1970 first time user, we walked out the front door and there was a cop car with a cop sitting in it parked right across the street. Like really?

Not exactly how you want to avoid paranoia. :laugh::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Back around 1970 first time user, we walked out the front door and there was a cop car with a cop sitting in it parked right across the street. Like really?

Not exactly how you want to avoid paranoia. :laugh::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Ya I think this is also one of the biggest misconceptions with Cannabis.
A lot of people think its just one thing (you know the whole stigma that it just makes you lazy, hungry, unproductive). Sure there's plenty of forms of Cannabis that will do this but theres also many forms that will steer you in the other direction and make you feel energetic, euphoric, productive and even sometimes not hungry.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ya I think this is also one of the biggest misconceptions with Cannabis.
A lot of people think its just one thing (you know the whole stigma that it just makes you lazy, hungry, unproductive). Sure there's plenty of forms of Cannabis that will do this but theres also many forms that will steer you in the other direction and make you feel energetic, euphoric, productive and even sometimes not hungry.

One of our best friends is a daily user, bad back, and you'd never know he was using. I'm sure he'll be relieved come next week when it isn't a legal risk to use.

I wonder if we'll have more doctors willing to prescribe going forward since there shouldn't be any stigma about being a pot doctor?

For the recreational user, I'm curious about how their suppliers are going to adjust. I've heard from some other friends that their current supplier will be selling less than the government set price ... market pricing.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
One of our best friends is a daily user, bad back, and you'd never know he was using. I'm sure he'll be relieved come next week when it isn't a legal risk to use.

I wonder if we'll have more doctors willing to prescribe going forward since there shouldn't be any stigma about being a pot doctor?

For the recreational user, I'm curious about how their suppliers are going to adjust. I've heard from some other friends that their current supplier will be selling less than the government set price ... market pricing.

Many doctors are already onboard (many still aren't, or still uneducated or afraid to go against big pharma).
You have Cannabis clinics that are opening up with young traditional doctors transitioning over to this field.
The doctor I deal with at one of these place specifically told me he chose to make the switch because the opioid crisis is so severe and this is a much better alternative.

The black market will definitely make adjustments to price and will always have a place with some users but most will make the move over to LP and specifically new consumers.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
There’s something called microdosing that is becoming popular.

There are vaporizers out there that can work with tiny amounts of weed. The idea is to get some of the drugs benefits without getting stoned. It has shown promise in treating ADHD. It’s still in the ‘work in progress’ stage as far as I know.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So I've been wanting to start this topic for awhile but wasn't sure how it would be received but just saw Riley Cote speak out about this and with legalization upcoming now seems like a decent time.

I was a hockey player who had his dreams cut short early on due to injury (knee) and also had a few concussions along the way. The aftermath of this was not good and I fell into a huge depression with anxiety so overwhelming it totally ruined about 10-15 years of my life. It was always just a psychological thing until about two years ago where my situation got so bad my body started to break down. Yep at first when I told my doctor about the pain, she said maybe it could be anxiety related but I laughed and said no way, I've had anxiety for years and never experienced debilitating pain throughout my body or anything close.

I was put on every pain medication and anti depressant known to man and to be honest most if not all just made the whole situation worse and I felt like a total zombie and slept 75% of the day. Things were getting really bad and I had almost reached the point of giving up hope. It's one thing to be depressed and not feel great about your life but its a entirely different beast when your body gives out on you and you basically cant do anything besides take some pharmaceuticals and hope for the best.

At this point I decided I wasn't just going to give up and started to do extensive research into things that could possibly help me out of this hole. The one thing that kept popping up but wasn't being promoted with much volume was Cannabis. I had experimented with it during my youth so knew a bit about it and decided to give it a try considering how many people swore by it.

Not lying after about one month of "medicating" with Cannabis my body had regained full functionality and my mind was on fire and feeling better than ever.

When I say medicate I want to be specific. I wasn't "smoking" I was using a dry herbal vape. I wasn't using traditional high THC strains that are mostly designed to get you high. I was using high CBD strains and attempting to do it in the most efficient and healthy way possible.

Cannabis has been a very misunderstood plant but with each passing day more and more data and research is coming out proving just how amazingly medicinal it really is and I can say with certainty it saved my life.

I fully believe in the not too distant future many people will use this for all types of ailments both physical and mental.

The amazing part about this movement is that people no longer have to smoke it and can consume it thru oils, capsules, edibles and vape.

I know many people are going to TLDR this but hopefully even a few people who might be in a tough spot can read this and possibly take the leap of faith because I truly believe it has the potential to greatly improve many peoples lives that are currently struggling. I really wonder how much better off some of these ex players who are badly struggling with mental illness would be if they used Cannabis instead of some of the cr*p doctors prescribe them.

I have no idea if medical teams throughout sports are starting to treat their athletes with CBD but eventually they will.

If Dubas is as progressive of a thinker as many say he should really look deep into this thing because its at its infancy stage and people who embrace this instead of buy into the stigma's of the past will most likely greatly benefit. I have no idea where CBD falls in the NHL allowed substances but eventually it should be legal and the teams that are quick to use this to treat their players will be ahead of the curve.

It would be cool to hear more peoples stories about Cannabis or CBD in general and how much its improved their quality of life.

Not to get too perszonal but did you commit to any cognitive therapy to help you with your anxiety?

Studies show it can be more effective than medications like SSRIs and Benzos. Particularly in preventing relapses.

Not saying it’s in your case but some people try to rely on the medication without working on the thinking patterns or underlying issues that trigger and maintain it.

Pain is a whole other issue.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Edibles are an extremely sketchy and inadvisable way to experiment with it though. There's very little control over dosage, and you can't just wade your way into it. It's a bit like "trying" alcohol by downing a 26er. You're very unlikely to enjoy that or have anything good to say about it.

Make your own edibles, easier to control the dosage.

Reactions: Sniper99

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Not to get too perszonal but did you commit to any cognitive therapy to help you with your anxiety?

Studies show it can be more effective than medications like SSRIs and Benzos. Particularly in preventing relapses.

Not saying it’s in your case but some people try to rely on the medication without working on the thinking patterns or underlying issues that trigger and maintain it.

Pain is a whole other issue.

Nope I pretty much didn't take much action to fix my issues until it became a physical thing.

This thing really made me appreciate just how lucky we are to have our standard health and not take it for granted.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
I personally use CBD oil for arthritis and anxiety. We give it to our dogs for the same reasons. We also sell CBD at our pet stores and have heard nothing but positive results from it. Our Governments have dropped the ball on the cannabis plant.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

There are plenty of online sellers and even some brick and mortal retailers operating right now, and prices in those places have dropped 30-50% already. I can't imagine the black market continuing to exist at all. It was hardly profitable in the first place for people selling at the user-level.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I personally use CBD oil for arthritis and anxiety. We give it to our dogs for the same reasons. We also sell CBD at our pet stores and have heard nothing but positive results from it. Our Governments have dropped the ball on the cannabis plant.

It's amazing how versatile this plant is.
I've read others say the same thing about giving it to their pets and it greatly helping.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna

It's funny, the wife and I bought some edibles. We bought 1 brownie, 1 cookie and 1 piece of carrot cake. I can literally break off a piece the size of my finger nail for heavy pain relief. I also don't like that stoned feeling and I think if I ate the whole thing I'd probably feel like I was going to die. I'm not kidding when I say those 3 pieces will last me well over a year and maybe even 2. Mind you I'm not a habitual user and only use it when my knees feel like they're on fire but man does it ever work when I need it.

If we're ever going to stop the opioid crisis it will be with cannabis.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Thanks for bringing this topic up weems.

A member of my immediate family was diagnosed with late stage metastatic cancer this summer. It's been a devastating few months for us, with some hopeful days and some downright horrible days.

The one thing that has helped her the most to deal with the physical pain, the anxiety and sleepless nights has been CBD oils.

A small dose in the morning and a small dose in the evening. No stoner effects (it's almost pure CBD). It truly is an amazing remedy, and has lifted her state of well being considerably.

And it's lowered her dependancy on morphine, which has much worse side effects, but the docs are quick to prescribe it because that's what big pharma pushes onto us.

I would absolutely recommend CBD to anyone dealing with any kind of serious physical and/or emotional hardship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad