The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If you are going to draft small skill guys, at least draft players who produce. The SDA pick looks pretty bad, and its astonishing he already got an ELC. Pete's fans are openly calling for him to be benched at this point.
The pick at the time wasn't terrible. Put up good numbers on a not so good team while being the youngest age possible for the draft.

However its clear that he hasn't really elevated his game this season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The pick at the time wasn't terrible. Put up good numbers on a not so good team while being the youngest age possible for the draft.

However its clear that he hasn't really elevated his game this season.
I thought it was a pretty bad pick at the time, and said as much. He can't stay upright or buy time on the puck. He's extremely one-dimensional and isn't a goal scoring threat. While he was on a bad team, being on a bad team might have been the only reason he got a significant opportunity to produce.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I thought it was a pretty bad pick at the time, and said as much. He can't stay upright or buy time on the puck. He's extremely one-dimensional and isn't a goal scoring threat. While he was on a bad team, being on a bad team might have been the only reason he got a significant opportunity to produce.
Meh, he was a mid 3rd round pick, you're not going to get a prospect without issues at that part in the draft. You just have to hope that he improves his deficiency which doesnt look like he has at this point.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Meh, he was a late 3rd round pick, you're not going to get a prospect without issues at that part in the draft. You just have to hope that he improves his deficiency which doesnt look like he has at this point.
I just think small and doesn't produce despite supposed skill is always a huge alarm bell. I get drafting overlooked small guys, but it's not like SDA even had a production argument in his favor. He had quite a few knocks. Small, not strong on the puck, average skater, not a good shot, doesn't produce and not good defensively. The only plus's on him were hands and passing.

horner

May 22, 2007
It's pretty clear Dubas will value high skill over heavy hitters and agitators. I think we're more likely to see picks along the lines of SDA over the Brendan Lemieux types.
To bad would love a brendan lemieux type

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Albin Grewe might be the perfect pick for this team and what we need in our system. Skilled 2 way player who plays with some grit. Love what I've read about him and if any Swedish posters have seen him play I'd love to hear some scouting reports. I've read he mainly needs to work on his mobility which is something Barb can easily fix and his puck control.

Reactions: hockeynorth

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
A bunch of the top goaltenders in the WHL are available in this draft, does anybody who watches a lot of WHL hockey have a preference between:

Dustin Wolf
Trent Miner
Mads Sogaard

Wolf and Miner have better numbers, but Sogaard is huge and faces a heavier workload.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Found it interesting, and I'm excited to see the zone entry data tomorrow.

Again, I would love if we could get Honka with our 2nd. Imo 30 teams are gonna regret not grabbing him, and I really hope we're not one of them.

Reactions: 43Kadri43

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What did he do to you?
To be honest he's been pretty terrible this year. Pete's fans want him healthy scratched at this point. He shouldn't be used as an example of a player we should be drafting. Last year everyone said we should cut him slack because he missed the cut-off by a day. If he was born on the 16th of September and was playing like this, I'm not sure he'd even be drafted.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
To be honest he's been pretty terrible this year. Pete's fans want him healthy scratched at this point. He shouldn't be used as an example of a player we should be drafting. Last year everyone said we should cut him slack because he missed the cut-off by a day. If he was born on the 16th of September and was playing like this, I'm not sure he'd even be drafted.

A 3rd round pick, who cares?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I posted it in the Marlies thread
Sandin- I was not a fan of the pick, but he has been terrific so far. I was wrong on him which I am glad.
Current Grade: A-

Durzi: The pick didn't make sense at the time and still doesn't. Addison was still on the board when it was our turn. Dubas was able to make up for it slightly by trading him for Muzzin.
Current Grade: D+

SDA- Interesting pick. One of the youngest players in the draft and had good production on a terrible Petes team. He had a great training camp but has struggled this season. It's too early to give up on him, and the contract is meaningless. He needs to progress next season.
Current Grade: C-

Stotts: after being traded from Swift Current, he was good for the Hitmen in a bigger role. He had a slow start this season with 6 points in 12 games, but has 49 points in 45 games since. The overall skills are good, and the eyetest is also nice, but the production doesn't always match.
Current Grade: B-

Hollowell: It wasn't the greatest pick, but has clearly dominated as an overager this year. He is a great skater to go along with amazing offensive skills, and is clearly too good for the level. With that being said, we can better evaluate him in the AHL
Current Grade: B

Kral: great pick by Dubas. He was falling and could have gone in the 3rd round. He had a solid rookie season in the WHL playing beside Ty Smith, and after coming back from a serious injury, his production has been even better this season even though he isn't paired with Smith anymore. He skates well and has nice tools offensively.
Current Grade: B+

Holmberg: traded to get the pick. He started off strong points wise, but has dropped off. His underlying stats still look good. Skating needs work, but he has talent.
Current Grade: B

Bouthillier- I won't even try on goalies. Numbers are pretty bad but again goalies are odd, be could find his game anytime.
Current Grade: ?

Kizimov: I don't have much to say here. The numbers are decent.
Current Grade: B-?

Not a perfect draft obviously. Dubas took some risks, and they might fail. He also made very questionable picks like Durzi and Hollowell, all though Hollowell has been good.
At the same time, Dubas also chose Sandin and Kral which are great selections.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was a Dubas pick, and thats the biggest problem for the poster. Hunter made even worse picks, yet I don't see much complaining from him.
No my biggest problem is SDA isn't very good.

I'll give Dubas credit when he deserves it, and I don't take cheap shots at him when I can over a bunch of things. You just blindly accept what he does. I think Rasanen has proven to also be a terrible pick. But, it is not like Durzi or SDA are much better ones. Hunter also appears to have drafted pretty well in the 2nd and 3rd, getting Dermott, Bracco, Grundstrom, and Woll, and has a good 4th rounder in Scott. You seem to ignore this and just complain about the fridges.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I'll give Dubas credit when he deserves it, and I don't take cheap shots at him when I can over a bunch of things. You just blindly accept what he does. I think Rasanen has proven to also be a terrible pick. But, it is not like Durzi or SDA are much better ones. Hunter also appears to have drafted pretty well in the 2nd and 3rd, getting Dermott, Bracco, Grundstrom, and Woll, and has a good 4th rounder in Scott. You seem to ignore this and just complain about the fridges.
Dubas told Hunter to trade back. Thanks Kyle for the 2 players.
Grundstorm is a 3rd liner. If we need to start congratulating Hunter on those kinds of players, it doesn't paint a nice picture on Hunter.
Woll and Scott haven't done anything yet.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dubas told Hunter to trade back. Thanks Kyle for the 2 players.
Grundstorm is a 3rd liner. If we need to start congratulating Hunter on those kinds of players, it doesn't paint a nice picture on Hunter.
Woll and Scott haven't done anything yet.
Hunter's draft board still picked them. And again, if we didn't we would have taken Konecny, who is a pretty valuable young player.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Why are we judging Dubas for last year's draft when he only had a month to prepare for it?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hunter's draft board still picked them. And again, if we didn't we would have taken Konecny, who is a pretty valuable young player.
I don't think we should complain about the draft right now. It's not even 1 year.
I didn't like Hunter's picks, but I was willing to give them a chance even the Middelton one.
I will call out Dubas when he makes a mistake. The Durzi pick I criticized. Sparks was given the backup job, I still like him but it's proven to be the wrong decision, and he overpaid Matthews.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why are we judging Dubas for last year's draft when he only had a month to prepare for it?
The GM shouldn't try to run the draft. That's what Doug MacLean did and it tends to be a disaster. You should trust the people below you. In actuality, that draft should have basically been run fully by John Lilly and Speltz, since he decided to promote them slightly after. It wasn't like our previous drafting was so bad, that the draft list should have just been thrown out, and that is what has basically been implied by sources close to Dubas (Mirtle).

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Honestly the SDA fight is stupid. Interesting project pick at the time (that we all agreed was nowhere near ready) that had an unbelievable camp and is having a down season. Maybe Dubas shouldn't have signed him yet, but who cares. It's ridiculously easy to trade AHL players on ELC's if he turns into nothing.

You can't teach the skill he has, and especially that ridiculous passing ability. Sure he does way too much all the time and pretty much refuses to shoot, but I'd really like to see him on a team that isn't awful offensively before making serious judgements on him. I've seen some great microstats on him that show his shot assists to be some of the best in the entire league.

We have like 5 more years of him, so people are just gonna look bad either side of the argument. Way to early to make serious judgements on him.

But seriously though, Anttoni Honka is elite and he might be there for our 2nd round pick.

Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad