The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Warden of the North, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Duffman955

Duffman955 Registered User

How is this a discussion even? You are calling players that play on 3rd lines, non NHL players. Not every NHL player is out here putting up 20+goals. And you are not going to get those players are cheap.

2. Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel Registered User

I judge players based on what they can bring, not where they play. I don't think Malkin is a second liner, for example. And some of them are cheap, but they are also worse players than what we have.

3. Icejoker

Icejoker Registered User

Oliwer Kaski from Finland could be intreresting.

4. Saint Blue

Saint Blue Registered User

Ilya Konovalov is one goalie I would think Dubas is dialled in on. 20 years old, undrafted last year, but his numbers as a 19 and 20 year old in the KHL are Shestyorkin/Sorokin levels (.934 over 49 games).

Having Woll/Scott split time with the Marlies/Growlers next year, and have Konovalov in the KHL for several years would be the perfect long-term structure post-Andersen.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. LeafsOHLRangers98

LeafsOHLRangers98 Registered User

I would love to add another young goalie to the mix for next year. I don't know much about this guy but if we add one more, we could have the best young goaltending depth this team has had since Pogge/Rask/Reimer.

Saint Blue likes this.
  6. Prodigy MayD

Prodigy MayD Registered User

Drafting in the 2nd round.

I hope we nab a EURO/USHL player.
    You get a few extra years of rights, and I feel like they have a higher chance of becoming something.

Leafs87 likes this.
  7. LeafsOHLRangers98

I'd like another defensemen in the mold of Sandin or Liljegren that we can mold in the AHL for two years without burning ELC years. Obviously we might now get one as talented as those two, but I'd rather have them playing over here unless they get huge minutes like Lindgren does in Finland.

8. SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue No Leaf Left Behind

The only problem is that he is really small. He is a bit under 6'0" tall, and you can tell. He looks pretty small in the net, and I watched a highlight pack where the KHL guys could not beat him over the shoulder, but that there is enough room for a lot of NHL snipers to beat him up high, even if he was amazing below that point.

Maybe starting in the later rounds - our second 4th or our 5th - starts to make sense for looking at him. But this guy is a 98', he's probably done growing, and you can not teach size. He could be one of the most skilled goalies in the NHL, but his size is always going to work against him.

9. Leafs87

Leafs87 Mr. Steal Your Job

I want Kochetkov so badly. That guy looks to have great starter potential. Let him and Scott battle it out. Surprised he went undrafted

Btw when do sorokin and shestyorkin become UFA ?

10. LeafsOHLRangers98

I think with Sorokin, the Islanders have him indefinitely, not sure about Shestyorkin.

Leafs87 likes this.
  11. Morgs

Morgs #16 #29 #34 #44 #91

Obviously only a 7 game sample, but still interesting for a guy thats almost exclusively unranked.

Kind of guys I'd love to take a late round flyer on.

12. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

He's a bad skater, and has a concussion history. Those are significant issues. That's mostly why he's not ranked. To succeed at 5'7 as a playmaker, you need to be able to create separation through either edge work or pure speed. SDA is a better version of this kid without the injury history, and the reason he can't produce in the OHL is that he can't maintain the puck effectively despite having good numbers by Mitch Brown's charts. I also think it'd be alarming when a guy shoots at the 14th percentile as an offensive 5'7 guy. That means he's probably overly passing or can't get to high-danger areas for shots.

13. Morgs

Meh. His shot assists and primary points are in the 100 percentile. Sure its a tiny sample size, but he's also PPG in the Q with all those negatives you stated. Its not only him that's talking about Simoneau, my favourite prospect statistician has him in his ranking.

I'm talking about a 6th/7th round project pick where the odds of getting an NHL'er are almost 0 anyway. Personally these are the guys I'd love to take a gamble on late in the draft.

14. LeafsOHLRangers98

Reminds me a lot of Justin Azevedo. If you're that small and can't skate, you're pretty well screwed in terms of an NHL career.

15. Duffman955

Duffman955 Registered User

Not that 7th round picks are sure thing, but this guy has absolutely no chance of making the NHL.

A 5'7 guy who's a bad skater, and injury history. Lol , 0 chance

16. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

Late rounds I'd prefer gambling on the kids whose rights we hold longer than two years. That generally means Europe or NCAA kids. I assume you are talking about the guy from Canucks Army.

His primary points aren't in the 100th percentile. His expected primary points are, so I assume this is off an xGF model. That's different than being in the 100th percentile for actual primary points.

17. LeafsOHLRangers98

Given our recent draft history, every pick after the 4th round should probably just be given to Thommie Bergman and see who he grabs out of Sweden.

18. Morgs

Lol way to generalize knowing nothing.

19. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

It'd probably start to diminish. I mean, we probably take his input, but there are probably cases where he runs out of names he'd deem draftable.

20. LeafsOHLRangers98

Has anybody seen Samuel Fagemo play? Seems to be ranked pretty low despite really good numbers in the SHL for an 18 year old.

His 0.55 PPG is 15th all time for U19 guys to play at least 30 games in a season.

21. Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel Registered User

I wouldn't mind if we picked him up. Can skate well, has some skill, and is a true goalscorer. From what I've seen, he's the type of player who thinks shot first any time he thinks he's got a chance to score. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

22. SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue No Leaf Left Behind

I have not, but he's probably the second best OA in this draft after Leason. He's really the only guy I can see having a decent shot at cracking the top 62 as an OA besides Leason. He's someone I'd look at 3rd round.

23. LaPlante94

LaPlante94 Registered User

That's something needed on our team tbh.

24. ktownhockey

ktownhockey Registered User

Ya, it doesn't jump off the page but I think he's on the way up in terms of development. Great kid, awesome player with potential. I coached his older brother for a few years in elite summer tourneys. He comes from a great family. I'd be fine with a Dubas SOO pick.

25. ChazzMichaelMichaels

ChazzMichaelMichaels Registered User

Matvey Guskov be available late 2nd round? was ranked roughly top 15 before the year started I believe and could really break out going forward.