The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Matvey Guskov be available late 2nd round? was ranked roughly top 15 before the year started I believe and could really break out going forward.

He has not lived up to expectations. TBH, there is a good chance he could be there with our 3rd round pick, if not even later than that. He's on a team with a lot of talent, but he's a LW who is 11th in team scoring (and that does not include Alex Formenton, Kevin Hancock, Joey Keane or Matt Timms, all of whom would be over him had they played the same number of games) despite playing with Connor McMichael and Nathan Dunkley 5-on-5 (who are 1st and 3rd respectively). He has some qualities I think the Leafs would like out of a prospect, but he's more likely to drop from his ~3rd round ranking than he is to go up from it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Ya, it doesn't jump off the page but I think he's on the way up in terms of development. Great kid, awesome player with potential. I coached his older brother for a few years in elite summer tourneys. He comes from a great family. I'd be fine with a Dubas SOO pick.

He like a few other guys from the OHL are perfect for the Leafs to target with their mid-round picks. Not sure there are too many guys who jump off the page where our 2nd rounder will be (unless someone drops), but there will be a bunch to take in rounds 3-5. MacKay, Guskov, Schwindt, Carroll, Porco (although Porco underwhelms me to the point that I think he could go undrafted this year) are all options that he may potentially look at.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He has not lived up to expectations. TBH, there is a good chance he could be there with our 3rd round pick, if not even later than that. He's on a team with a lot of talent, but he's a LW who is 11th in team scoring (and that does not include Alex Formenton, Kevin Hancock, Joey Keane or Matt Timms, all of whom would be over him had they played the same number of games) despite playing with Connor McMichael and Nathan Dunkley 5-on-5 (who are 1st and 3rd respectively). He has some qualities I think the Leafs would like out of a prospect, but he's more likely to drop from his ~3rd round ranking than he is to go up from it.
Struggling highly hyped Russians in the CHL is a brand of player I stay away from.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Struggling highly hyped Russians in the CHL is a brand of player I stay away from.

No I would still consider Guskov in some capacity. He has everything you want in a mid-round package: Solid set of skills, high-end IQ, great skater, works hard, no glaring weaknesses, some upside to become a somewhat special player, apparently he does project to play at center when he gets to the pros, etc.

The main thing that hurts him is that he is not producing, he is not elite in anything and he needs to bulk up a lot to be effective as the type of player he can become. However I think there is top 9 C potential there, and even if he can not make it as a center, there is a role for him as a top 9 winger in a Hyman-type role. He also has the style of play which could make him effective in the bottom 6 if he does not possess enough high end skill, also like Hyman.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No I would still consider Guskov in some capacity. He has everything you want in a mid-round package: Solid set of skills, high-end IQ, great skater, works hard, no glaring weaknesses, some upside to become a somewhat special player, apparently he does project to play at center when he gets to the pros, etc.

The main thing that hurts him is that he is not producing, he is not elite in anything and he needs to bulk up a lot to be effective as the type of player he can become. However I think there is top 9 C potential there, and even if he can not make it as a center, there is a role for him as a top 9 winger in a Hyman-type role. He also has the style of play which could make him effective in the bottom 6 if he does not possess enough high end skill, also like Hyman.
I can't think of one highly hyped Russian who wasn't good in the CHL immediately who amounted to anything in the NHL. CHL russians tend to be risky to begin with. You look at the ones who succeeded they were high-impact guys right away. That is a very alarming trend.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I can't think of one highly hyped Russian who wasn't good in the CHL immediately who amounted to anything in the NHL. CHL russians tend to be risky to begin with. You look at the ones who succeeded they were high-impact guys right away. That is a very alarming trend.

Russians in general are really not all that successful... Almost no good players outside of the 1st or 2nd round. You'd expect better out of a country which is supposed to be one of the best in the world, but they are quite a bit behind Sweden, USA, Canada and even Finland in producing talent capable of becoming anything good in the NHL.

I think the main thing is you look at their style of play.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Has anybody out west seen Martin Lang play? He's the youngest player in this years draft and ranked 150-200th overall. Put up Ridiculous nunbers with the Czech U16 and U18 teams but struggled in his 1st year over here.

U16 (13 years old): 7 GP, 2 G, 5Pts
U16 (14 years old): 38 GP, 32 G, 41Pts
U16 (15 years old): 27 GP, 54 G, 84Pts
U18 (15 years old): 21 GP, 7G, 14Pts
U18 (16 years old): 35 GP, 37G, 59Pts

This year in Kamloops he's played 52 games, has 10 goals, and 29 points. Is a smaller skilled guy but that track record shows a history of being able to break out in a huge way once he's played in a league for a while.

Won't turn 18 until September 15th of this year.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Can someone who follows the OHL closely give me a quick run down on Ethan Keppen with Flint?... Good size, good stats considering his age and the team he plays on...A brief look at his highlights look good which I know isn't a fair representation of his potential but hey, that's all I have to look at...Is his skating okay?...Does he have any edge to his game?..Other skills/attributes?...Would he be a decent pick in the 3rd round?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Can someone who follows the OHL closely give me a quick run down on Ethan Keppen with Flint?... Good size, good stats considering his age and the team he plays on...A brief look at his highlights look good which I know isn't a fair representation of his potential but hey, that's all I have to look at...Is his skating okay?...Does he have any edge to his game?..Other skills/attributes?...Would he be a decent pick in the 3rd round?

I was never impressed with his skating. Not sure about him right now.

flintfirebirdsfan36

Sep 6, 2018

I think he is a really good skater for his size. Def a decent pick in the 3rd round.

flintfirebirdsfan36

Sep 6, 2018
Thanks...Does he have an edge to his game at all?..Does he get involved in puck battles or is he more of a perimeter 'skill' type of player?

His edge is his size. He gets involved in puck battles a lot and skates up and down. He really is a complete player as he is a goal scorer and playmaker. I believe he is leading his team on shots on net and top 2 for both goals and assists.

Take a look at this article:
2019 NHL Draft – OHL Writers

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
His edge is his size. He gets involved in puck battles a lot and skates up and down. He really is a complete player as he is a goal scorer and playmaker. I believe he is leading his team on shots on net and top 2 for both goals and assists.

Take a look at this article:
2019 NHL Draft – OHL Writers
Thanks for the link...Interesting read...The guy doing the article is either his brother or really loves the guy as a prospect... With that review he sounds like a first round pick...Seriously though, he seems to be trending to an area between our 2nd and 3rd round picks but as always, time will tell...

Reactions: flintfirebirdsfan36

flintfirebirdsfan36

Sep 6, 2018
@4thline
Morgan is doing well in Flint. The Morgan Keppen Wismer line has really clicked and it is producing points for the team pretty much every game. I believe their last game that line produced 8 points in total. I think Morgan has a point a game average since coming to Flint.

Reactions: 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Anyone got a read on Luka Burzan?

Statistically he's looking like a guy we'd be getting pretty excited about if we picked 3rd/4th or later last year

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Just got home from the Saginaw/Barrie game. Keep an eye out for Cole Perfetti in the 20' draft. Has 56 pts in 51 games as a rookie. Spent a lot of time with Tippett and Mcleod but the kid was doing most of the work out there. Has good hands and scored 2 nice goals.

Side note: Tippett scored a sick between the legs goal top shelf from like 10 feet out

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Just got home from the Saginaw/Barrie game. Keep an eye out for Cole Perfetti in the 20' draft. Has 56 pts in 51 games as a rookie. Spent a lot of time with Tippett and Mcleod but the kid was doing most of the work out there. Has good hands and scored 2 nice goals.

Side note: Tippett scored a sick between the legs goal top shelf from like 10 feet out
Perfetti will be way too high for us unfortunately. Love the way he plays though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Perfetti will be way too high for us unfortunately. Love the way he plays though.
I'm not sure Perfetti will be a top 15 or even 20 guy. He lacks the elite skating or edgework that tends to push smaller guys up into the top tier of the draft (see Marner and Keller). I think he's likely to be valued closer to how Pelletier currently is. I also don't think Saginaw is going to be very good next year. They are likely to lose a bunch of key players (especially if Wilde is promoted to the AHL).

The big question with Perfetti and Stranges will be, do teams see them more like Marner and Keller, or more like Jeremy Bracco. Teams will always be hesitant on smaller guys who don't have elite separation ability.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Anyone got a read on Luka Burzan?

Statistically he's looking like a guy we'd be getting pretty excited about if we picked 3rd/4th or later last year

Seems like a 3rd/4th round type prospect again this year. Not sure if it would be by the Leafs, but I am sure someone will be interested.

Reminds me a lot of Stotts. Solid all-around, but not special really anywhere.

horner

May 22, 2007
Is there any
Heavy hitters , agitators
In the 2nd or 3rd.

Max Comtois
Bredan Lemieux
Tyler bertuzzi

Shift desturbers type of player

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Is there any
Heavy hitters , agitators
In the 2nd or 3rd.

Max Comtois
Bredan Lemieux
Tyler bertuzzi

Shift desturbers type of player

I like Sam Poulin if he drops far enough.

There ought to be a few, but I'm not sure many others would be taken in the 2nd round. 3rd round there may be a few, but even then, they could just as easily be 4th or 5th rounders (i.e. Teply or Keppen).

Reactions: Its not your fault

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
It's pretty clear Dubas will value high skill over heavy hitters and agitators. I think we're more likely to see picks along the lines of SDA over the Brendan Lemieux types.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's pretty clear Dubas will value high skill over heavy hitters and agitators. I think we're more likely to see picks along the lines of SDA over the Brendan Lemieux types.
If you are going to draft small skill guys, at least draft players who produce. The SDA pick looks pretty bad, and its astonishing he already got an ELC. Pete's fans are openly calling for him to be benched at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad