The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
@Brock @93LEAFS

Meireles of any interest as a mid rounder?
Meh, I'm a Ranger fan and he's played well this year but I'd rather not use picks on overagers again.

The talent is there, but he lost a lot of development time not committing to the Rangers full time in his draft year. I'd like to see another big year out of him before being fully sold on his ability.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
@Brock @93LEAFS

Meireles of any interest as a mid rounder?

I think Meireles has a chance to be a late round pick this year. There are a lot of things to like with him. His speed and skating ability are definitely pluses. He had some injury problems last year that really prevented him from being a consistently effective offensive player. But he came back much stronger this year. A lot more difficult to separate from the puck. He's a very capable two-way forward too.

Ultimately, the question that teams will have is...what kind of offensive potential does he have at the next level? I think that's something that's still open to debate. There are times this year where I've seen Meireles play and thought, this guy could be a quality 3rd line player at the NHL level. And others where I think he's probably more of a tweener.

If I'm taking an overage draft eligible this year in the mid rounds, I probably look to some other leagues with better options (Justin Bergeron in the Q, Luka Burzan in the WHL, Ronnie Attard in the USHL, Samuel Fagemo in Sweden, etc). For the first year in a long time, there isn't a previously passed over player in the OHL that I feel confident deserves to be drafted (unlike say last year with Durzi, Keane, Hollowell, etc).

Reactions: 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think Meireles has a chance to be a late round pick this year. There are a lot of things to like with him. His speed and skating ability are definitely pluses. He had some injury problems last year that really prevented him from being a consistently effective offensive player. But he came back much stronger this year. A lot more difficult to separate from the puck. He's a very capable two-way forward too.

Ultimately, the question that teams will have is...what kind of offensive potential does he have at the next level? I think that's something that's still open to debate. There are times this year where I've seen Meireles play and thought, this guy could be a quality 3rd line player at the NHL level. And others where I think he's probably more of a tweener.

If I'm taking an overage draft eligible this year in the mid rounds, I probably look to some other leagues with better options (Justin Bergeron in the Q, Luka Burzan in the WHL, Ronnie Attard in the USHL, Samuel Fagemo in Sweden, etc). For the first year in a long time, there isn't a previously passed over player in the OHL that I feel confident deserves to be drafted (unlike say last year with Durzi, Keane, Hollowell, etc).

Thanks.

Mereiles is a guy I find interesting mainly because of the hype I remember from my last year of Uni in KW. The will he/ won't he report, and the fairly electric late season debut. Kinda guy I wonder "is he finally putting it together"

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What do people think of Liam Ross for a mid-late round pick??

A little bit too low upside for my liking TBH. He's solid, but unspectacular. Which I guess is what you can say about a lot of late round picks, but none of them amount to anything.

We do well enough on the FA market where guys like Ross won't have much of a chance to make it, and I think there are better guys available than him even in round 7.

Reactions: hockeynorth

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I really hope we can get Kochetkov with our 2nd

His shot at that went out the door a long time ago. First of all, a goalie is the last thing the Leafs should be targeting with a high pick, especially when 2 of the very few high end prospects the team have are goalies. Second of all, this draft has a lot of talented goalies which will be available by our pick in the 2nd round, or even the 3rd round, and Kochetkov is not one of the better ones.

There have only been 3 successful Russian goalies drafted since 2006 who have been truly successful: Vasilevsky, Varlamov, Bobrovski. One thing they all had in common: Bonafide KHL starters by their D+2 at the very latest (some even D+1). If you look at the other high end goalie prospects who may have a chance of making it that far, the same thing. If he showed up with that in his D+1, maybe he could go in the 3rd round. D+2, his resume is already well behind the curve for top young goalies out of Russia. Seems harsh, especially given he had great numbers in International competition, in the VHL, and Sochi had two great goalies, but he would have made it work either way if he was truly worth a 2nd at this point.

But maybe a team is willing to take a shot to catch lightning in a bottle. I just hope the Leafs are not on that list, because that is a tough hill to climb with any early-mid round pick.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So I've been keeping an eye on overagers, as I think this is something we'll see Dubas continue to do.

F - Jeremy McKenna. 19 years old, and just 5'9, but is 172lbs. Was over a point per game last season in the QMJHL, and has once again had a great year, 5th in league scoring. This kid apparently loves putting pucks to the net. Last season he averaged 4 shots a game.

F - Brett Leason. A popular one I'm sure. 6'5, 200lbs centers, with 89 points in 53 games in the WHL. Had 5 points in 5 games at the World Juniors, and 2 points in the Top Prospects game this year. The 19 year old is entering his final draft year, and will almost certainly be given a chance by some team. With teammate Ian Scott recently signing an ELC with the Leafs, I'm sure the Leafs scouting staff is familiar with Leason. His production prior to this season, and only having 20 points in last 20 games since the WJC, could be tales of caution, but he's certainly worth taking a chance on.

F - Mark Kastelic. Another big forward. 6'3 and 205lbs. The Captain of the Calgary Hitman, has had his offensive game taking consistent steps forward, with this season becoming really apparent, scoring 46 goals and 76 points in 64 games. One thing I notice, a lot of his goals come from the dirty areas. Going to the net and getting deflections, or being around the net for passes. He's

Also, he's not afraid to do this.... like at all

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Leason plays RW. Highly doubt the Leafs will be in any position to draft him. McKenna, I can honestly see him going undrafted again. If he is drafted, it is likely past the 4th round.

If Matthew Struthers is available in the later rounds I'm probably looking at him.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Is there any risk in the Leafs losing Joseph Woll with the silly NCAA rule? Which needs to be addressed in the new CBA. It's ridiculous that teams can lose a player they've used a potential high draft pick on because he wants to get his degree and becomes a UFA.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Is there any risk in the Leafs losing Joseph Woll with the silly NCAA rule? Which needs to be addressed in the new CBA. It's ridiculous that teams can lose a player they've used a potential high draft pick on because he wants to get his degree and becomes a UFA.
I can almost guarantee that Woll will be signed and playing for the Marlies next season. I don't think it'll be a problem.

Reactions: Kiwi and Matthews34

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I can almost guarantee that Woll will be signed and playing for the Marlies next season. I don't think it'll be a problem.

I don't think he would be the starter next season either, I think that kid Knight is going to Woll's school next year as the probable starter

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't think he would be the starter next season either, I think that kid Knight is going to Woll's school next year as the probable starter
Yeah that's what I was thinking about. There seems to be a plan in motion there that only really makes sense if Woll moves on.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah that's what I was thinking about. There seems to be a plan in motion there that only really makes sense if Woll moves on.

Yeah, it does look as if there was a succession plan in place

Either Woll gave them a heads up or they had an idea something was going to happen with him at the end of the season

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Woll is signing his ELC when his season is over, so no.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leason plays RW. Highly doubt the Leafs will be in any position to draft him. McKenna, I can honestly see him going undrafted again. If he is drafted, it is likely past the 4th round.

If Matthew Struthers is available in the later rounds I'm probably looking at him.

Struthers is another one I like.

I think McKenna goes. Enough teams are starting to be willing to take flyers on undersized forwards that put up points, and he has now for 2 seasons.

If he is there in the 5th-7th, I would be happy to see us take him

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They hold their rights for 3 or 4 years. Pretty much any player if you offer a contract after their sophomore year will sign (rare exceptions like Adam Fox). If you take 3 years to give them a legitimate offer (especially since you are concerned about losing a high-pick), then the team made a mistake. Nashville complained about Vesey for a while, but they didn't give him a legitimate offer until after his junior year. If he was a CHL player they already would have lost his rights. When it comes to the CBA, I don't think that is an issue that needs fixing.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
They hold their rights for 3 or 4 years. Pretty much any player if you offer a contract after their sophomore year will sign (rare exceptions like Adam Fox). If you take 3 years to give them a legitimate offer (especially since you are concerned about losing a high-pick), then the team made a mistake. Nashville complained about Vesey for a while, but they didn't give him a legitimate offer until after his junior year. If he was a CHL player they already would have lost his rights. When it comes to the CBA, I don't think that is an issue that needs fixing.

It would seem you and I are destined to disagreed forever.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Any player can be a UFA if they refuse to sign and wait out the 4 years

Reactions: Menzinger

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Any player can be a UFA if they refuse to sign and wait out the 4 years
Not Russians. But most others you will lose the rights too. You shouldn't be able to hold players rights indefinitely. A first rounder has done this once in the past decade in Kevin Hayes. Most of the guys who don't sign are players who weren't offered deals until they finished their junior season, which shows they weren't highly valued. It's not like guys such as Quinn Hughes, Clayton Keller, and Boeser are waiting it out.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Is that true? Please provide proof.

As @93LEAFS pointed out, not Russians. Or Swiss. But any player drafted from within a transfer agreement can be a UFA 4 years later if they choose to.

Generally speaking
NCAA- 4 Years (unless they redshirt or stay in junior post draft)
Europe- 4 years
CHL- 2 years + 2 years

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

They’ve got a couple years to sign the player, and the player in turn can only hit UFA by giving up the guaranteed income of a ELC.

Imo a fair system

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As @93LEAFS pointed out, not Russians. Or Swiss. But any player drafted from within a transfer agreement can be a UFA 4 years later if they choose to.

Generally speaking
NCAA- 4 Years (unless they redshirt or stay in junior post draft)
Europe- 4 years
CHL- 2 years + 2 years
NCAA can be 3 in some cases. For example, when late birthdays are drafted after completing their freshman year, such as Quinn Hughes.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->