The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
So I've been keeping an eye on overagers, as I think this is something we'll see Dubas continue to do.

F - Jeremy McKenna. 19 years old, and just 5'9, but is 172lbs. Was over a point per game last season in the QMJHL, and has once again had a great year, 5th in league scoring. This kid apparently loves putting pucks to the net. Last season he averaged 4 shots a game.

F - Brett Leason. A popular one I'm sure. 6'5, 200lbs centers, with 89 points in 53 games in the WHL. Had 5 points in 5 games at the World Juniors, and 2 points in the Top Prospects game this year. The 19 year old is entering his final draft year, and will almost certainly be given a chance by some team. With teammate Ian Scott recently signing an ELC with the Leafs, I'm sure the Leafs scouting staff is familiar with Leason. His production prior to this season, and only having 20 points in last 20 games since the WJC, could be tales of caution, but he's certainly worth taking a chance on.

F - Mark Kastelic. Another big forward. 6'3 and 205lbs. The Captain of the Calgary Hitman, has had his offensive game taking consistent steps forward, with this season becoming really apparent, scoring 46 goals and 76 points in 64 games. One thing I notice, a lot of his goals come from the dirty areas. Going to the net and getting deflections, or being around the net for passes. He's

Also, he's not afraid to do this.... like at all

We need some
Kastelic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, since Leafs didn't have a first, I was starting to dig in deep into the NFL draft a bit for my team. Now, my team traded it's first. Watching drafts this year is going to be interesting.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Well, since Leafs didn't have a first, I was starting to dig in deep into the NFL draft a bit for my team. Now, my team traded it's first. Watching drafts this year is going to be interesting.

I'll be surprised if we're not involved in some way on day 1, even more surprised if our 2nd is our 1st pick

Reactions: hockeynorth

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Connor Brown.
That, would be highway robbery, if Dubas can garner a 1st for Connor freaking Brown.

Even if McDavid asks to be reunited with him, a 1st would be overcompensation. A price war for his services would be unlikely too!

Reactions: Jeypic

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So, who gets traded to acquire a 1st round pick then?

There's going to be 20+ picks between ours and the 1st round. So a pick earlier than ours doesn't mean a 1st.

As to who, I don't know. But the writing is on the salary cap wall.

Barring a Marleau or Zaitsev move:
A. someone from the second tier is likely on the way out of town ,
B. for someone in that tier to move without bringing equal money back a pick higher than 50 is likely involved.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
There's going to be 20+ picks between ours and the 1st round. So a pick earlier than ours doesn't mean a 1st.

B. for someone in that tier to move without bringing equal money back a pick higher than 50 is likely involved.
Even a higher 2nd than our own would be a steal and overcompensation. At this point, a 3rd or 4th would look good IMHO, given his salary, and, drop in production.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Brown's are going for it, ballsy

I like the NIL draft and watch it on TV because we get on ESPN live over here but I don't really have a team so it doesn't hold the same intrest to me the NHL draft does

I'm just going to black book it and check into, watch video on the guys we select since we don't have a 1st

Unless were talking Johnsson or Kapanen I seriously doubt it

I think Brown and Zaitsev are the two on the block right now and Zaitsev may have negative value, I say may have because NHL GM's never cease to amaze me with the things they do

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Brown's are going for it, ballsy

I like the NIL draft and watch it on TV because we get on ESPN live over here but I don't really have a team so it doesn't hold the same intrest to me the NHL draft does

I'm just going to black book it and check into, watch video on the guys we select since we don't have a 1st

Unless were talking Johnsson or Kapanen I seriously doubt it

I think Brown and Zaitsev are the two on the block right now and Zaitsev may have negative value, I say may have because NHL GM's never cease to amaze me with the things they do
Yeah, I'll still heavily research it just because its of interest and I closely follow, and will get my usual draft products (or maintain them, I have a yearly Platinum Pass at HP, Athletic and ESPN insider).

I'd be surprised to see us drafting in day 1.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah, I'll still heavily research it just because its of interest and I closely follow, and will get my usual draft products (or maintain them, I have a yearly Platinum Pass at HP, Athletic and ESPN insider).

I'd be surprised to see us drafting in day 1.

Yeah, I think we will move heaven and earth to keep the Kapanen and Johnsson types who may have 1st round value

I could see us getting and extra mid round pick or two moving guys for cap room but that's about it

I'm just wondering about our draft philosophy this year, there were some decent players taken but I can't say I loved it last season

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
That, would be highway robbery, if Dubas can garner a 1st for Connor freaking Brown.

Even if McDavid asks to be reunited with him, a 1st would be overcompensation. A price war for his services would be unlikely too!
Ryan Hartman fetched a 1st 2 years ago so its not completely out of the question...

horner

May 22, 2007
So, who gets traded to acquire a 1st round pick then?

It's very odvious that we need a partner for Rielly.
Kadri + Brown and Zitsev

We really need to fix our d

Kappy and Johnson need to be signed

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I doubt Dubas is too concerned about getting a 1st round pick. Outside the top half of the first round, your chances of getting a quality player are pretty much level across the next 6.5 rounds. If anything, Dubas will trade down some picks to get as many picks as possible.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
How is Connor McMichaels stock these days? Rising? Dropping? Like his game from the few I've seen

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I doubt Dubas is too concerned about getting a 1st round pick. Outside the top half of the first round, your chances of getting a quality player are pretty much level across the next 6.5 rounds. If anything, Dubas will trade down some picks to get as many picks as possible.

I do not think that is a guarantee. The Leafs are fine with quantity. They mostly need youth and higher end upside. Outside of Liljegren, Bracco and Sandin (and maybe Woll and Scott), you are looking at a bunch of guys who can probably replace a Johnsson or Brown (maybe a Hyman or Kapanen, but that'd be a stretch), but not a Zaitsev or a Kadri.

It's too early for me to determine whether or not it is worth it. Still need to work on a concrete NHL board.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I do not think that is a guarantee. The Leafs are fine with quantity. They mostly need youth and higher end upside. Outside of Liljegren, Bracco and Sandin (and maybe Woll and Scott), you are looking at a bunch of guys who can probably replace a Johnsson or Brown (maybe a Hyman or Kapanen, but that'd be a stretch), but not a Zaitsev or a Kadri.

It's too early for me to determine whether or not it is worth it. Still need to work on a concrete NHL board.
Hard to say, the teams gonna need another wave of cheap upside after the one you mentioned (Bracco, Lili, Sandin) and after graduates this year, the unsigned part of the system is quite devoid of projectable talent.

My bold prediction is Kadri traded for a top-9 ELC winger and a first, maybe Carolina.

And Brown for a pick or picks (top 90 seems feasible) and maybe Oz if there’s a dip into the euro-UFA market.

Then of course a trade down with the first ;)

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I wonder if we make any deals with Gardiner? Also hear Trouba might be available on the draft day. Hoping we draft defense and wingers and try and get in on immediate help. Otherwise we might have to just draft as usual and hopefully sign Stralman?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hard to say, the teams gonna need another wave of cheap upside after the one you mentioned (Bracco, Lili, Sandin) and after graduates this year, the unsigned part of the system is quite devoid of projectable talent.

My bold prediction is Kadri traded for a top-9 ELC winger and a first, maybe Carolina.

And Brown for a pick or picks (top 90 seems feasible) and maybe Oz if there’s a dip into the euro-UFA market.

Then of course a trade down with the first ;)

To be fair, we do not really have much in terms of unsigned talent in our system in the first place, but even those guys are all pretty good. Unfortunately their production does not jump off the page, but they have been improving in a variety of areas, which I would say is better than seeing their production explode (i.e. I'd rather people have decent production and improving everywhere than become a PPG defenseman like Nielsen and become nothing).

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
I hope the leafs take a look at Iivari Rasanen, from what I know he looks like a great fit for this team if he plans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad