Confirmed with Link: The @MapleLeafs have signed defenceman Teemu Kivihalme to a one-year entry level contract.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You should read my post again rather than argue against claims I didn't make

I read it plenty clear.

You state:

handedness is arguably the least important trait in a player

This is wrong. Handedness has a large effect player's ability to cut down angles, recieve passes, play the puck along the boards, etc. etc. All this has a large impact on keeping posession of the puck. There is a large advantage for a player to be able to play on their strong side.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I swear if we draft any left shooters this year, I'm not watching a single game next year. Unacceptable

This MAY be a joke, but if not;

LHD's under contract next season;
Morgan Rielly
Jake Muzzin
Travis Dermott (played RD for a good portion of this season)
Calle Rosen
Andreas Borgman
Ramus Sandin
Teemu Kivihalme

4 of these names will likely be on the main roster next season, leaving Sandin (who could be in the NHL at some point this season) and Teemu, as the only LHD's under contract for the Marlies next season.

Fedor Gordeev may or may not be signed to an ELC, and Filip Kral will be back in Spokane next season.

We actually have more depth at RD at the Euro/AHL/Junior level than we do LD.

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
I have watched Kivihalme a lot during the last two seasons because Kärpät is my favorite Finnish team. I liked him a a lot already a year ago and this season I saw him live about seven times.

First time was in September and already then he was the most impressive defenceman in his team because he was able to skate so well under pressure. He has great balance which helps him protect the puck. Overall he is a great two-way defenceman and that's why for example comparing to other free agent player Oliwer Kaski I would definitely pick Kivihalme before Kaski.

The best player comparison to Kivihalme is in my opinion Markus Nutivaara who also left from Kärpät to the NHL a couple seasons ago and plays now in TOP4-role in Blue Jackets. Both of them dominated with their skating in Finnish Elite League and in my opinion Kivihalme was this season the best defenceman to carry the puck by himself from the own zone to the neutral zone with his individual skill and skating just like Nutivaara during his time in Finland. Both of them also liked to sometimes go very deep to the offensive zone and pinch from the blue line when the time was right.

Comparing to Nutivaara, Kivihalme is not as good on the blue line to score points because his shot is a little bit weaker and that's why he did not get a much power play time during the season. Nutivaara was PP1 unit quarter-back during his last season in Finland in playoffs.

All in all, I am pretty confident that Kivihalme will be on the opening night roster at least in TOP6 role because also Nutivaara was able to do the same in Columbus a couple of years ago during his first season and they remind each other so much. Both of them can give an easy first pass without panic and are excellent skaters. In the defensive zone they use their whole body very well to get stops near the boards and rarely make mistakes so that's why Kivihalme is a very reliable player on 5v5 situations.

EDIT: Somebody was already compared Kivihalme to Nutivaara. Well, I totally agree with that.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Its disconcerting that I dont know whether this is a joke or not

This MAY be a joke, but if not;

LHD's under contract next season;
Morgan Rielly
Jake Muzzin
Travis Dermott (played RD for a good portion of this season)
Calle Rosen
Andreas Borgman
Ramus Sandin
Teemu Kivihalme

4 of these names will likely be on the main roster next season, leaving Sandin (who could be in the NHL at some point this season) and Teemu, as the only LHD's under contract for the Marlies next season.

Fedor Gordeev may or may not be signed to an ELC, and Filip Kral will be back in Spokane next season.

We actually have more depth at RD at the Euro/AHL/Junior level than we do LD.

Maybe change your user name to "left at knight"?
:laugh:
Obviously it's a joke lol. Can't believe I had to even say that, I'm usually the ones calling out people that say shit like that

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I read it plenty clear.

You state:

This is wrong. Handedness has a large effect player's ability to cut down angles, recieve passes, play the puck along the boards, etc. etc. All this has a large impact on keeping posession of the puck. There is a large advantage for a player to be able to play on their strong side.
I said it's arguably not important when evaluating a player, not that it literally makes zero difference in any situation

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
At this point, nothing can be certain but uncertain :) All of you can just hope for the best and wait and see :)

Personally, i think he is NHL ready, (even thou ive been more right than wrong, this is only my take, pretty sure others would disagree)
- its not like he needs to learn how to play on a smaller ice or anything, he was after all born and raised in US, is NCAA " made man "
in a sense that, he has gone trough the whole NCAA route.
I seen him in college for the 3 years he was there and I am with you on your assessment. I was impressed watching him play and his stickhandling and passing impressed me. He was calm under pressure. I Watched him play a total of 15 times live. If his game translates we have a steal on our hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad