Confirmed with Link: The @MapleLeafs have signed defenceman Teemu Kivihalme to a one-year entry level contract.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We've got an embarrassment of riches in defense prospects so it hardly matters but Greenway pick has an identical vibe to the John Doherty pick. Doherty was a giant kid who was a terrific skater and had good raw skills. It's almost impossible to imagine that a big strong body who is over the hurdle of gaining skating agility and speed can't become something as a pro but it happens. His brother is a legit NHL player. Are there any examples of NHL players who swapped colleges?

It's a bit of a crap shoot, so you have to go through your John Doherty's and JD Greenway's so you can find your Colton Parayko's and Dustin Byfuglien's.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Maybe we will see some top 4 combination of Rielly, Muzzin, Zaitsev and Dermott with Rosen and Kivihalme on the third pairing at some point.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Maybe we will see some top 4 combination of Rielly, Muzzin, Zaitsev and Dermott with Rosen and Kivihalme on the third pairing at some point.

I hope that we can move Zaitsev, and bring in an upgrade. Only other comment, is that the D core is still pretty small.

Not that it would help in size, but don't completely rule out RHD Lindgren either... we have to see what he brings to the table.

Rielly XXXX
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen/Kivi Lindgren
Rosen/Kivi

With Sandin/Liljegren knocking on the door.

If at some point, Liljegren gets called up, and shows he can stick, it wouldn't shock me to see Dermott moved either, though we'd need a really solid RHD pairing for Rielly under such circumstances.

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
I hope that we can move Zaitsev, and bring in an upgrade. Only other comment, is that the D core is still pretty small.

Not that it would help in size, but don't completely rule out RHD Lindgren either... we have to see what he brings to the table.

Rielly XXXX
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen/Kivi Lindgren
Rosen/Kivi

With Sandin/Liljegren knocking on the door.

If at some point, Liljegren gets called up, and shows he can stick, it wouldn't shock me to see Dermott moved either, though we'd need a really solid RHD pairing for Rielly under such circumstances.

Why would the Leafs move a cost controlled LHD in Dermott because of a cost controlled RHD in Liljegren. Especially one as good as Dermott, makes very little sense to me.

Now if it's a really good upgrade Dermott isn't the breaking point for me on the deal. I just find it weird you picked him to come out for Liljegren.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why would the Leafs move a cost controlled LHD in Dermott because of a cost controlled RHD in Liljegren. Especially one as good as Dermott, makes very little sense to me.

Now if it's a really good upgrade Dermott isn't the breaking point for me on the deal. I just find it weird you picked him to come out for Liljegren.

Dermott is a RFA at the end of next season. If his play is good, he will get a decent raise.
Muzzin is a UFA at the end of next season. His set of skills, is rather unique amongst our players at this point, and he should be consider a priorty to keep.

Rielly isn't going anywhere.

So, IMO, it's Rielly, Muzzin and a third LHD.

Rosen seems ready. Kivi is said to possibly be a top 4 D, and Sandin is likely to be good soon too. LHD depth doesn't appear to be an issue, so moving a decent one, who is due for a decent raise, getting a good asset for him, and then moving in a cost controlled asset makes sense.

We just won't have cap room, to always keep everyone. Dermott is passable on the Right side, but I think better on the left. We are going to have players as good, or better than Dermott on the left, and if we can obtain a good asset for him, do it. Keep the pipeline flowing.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
Dermott is a RFA at the end of next season. If his play is good, he will get a decent raise.
Muzzin is a UFA at the end of next season. His set of skills, is rather unique amongst our players at this point, and he should be consider a priorty to keep.

Rosen seems ready. Kivi is said to possibly be a top 4 D, and Sandin is likely to be good soon too. LHD depth doesn't appear to be an issue, so moving a decent one, who is due for a decent raise, getting a good asset for him, and then moving in a cost controlled asset makes sense.

We just won't have cap room, to always keep everyone. Dermott is passable on the Right side, but I think better on the left. We are going to have players as good, or better than Dermott on the left, and if we can obtain a good asset for him, do it. Keep the pipeline flowing.

I agree we can't keep everyone but the Leafs hand isn't pushed next year, this year is the big pinch.

Dermott won't have a lot of leverage next year to demand more than a bridge deal, especially if Holl and Kivi are good enough.

The Leafs should wait to see what Muzzin is asking before the Leafs start trading away their options.

Reactions: Jeypic

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I agree we can't keep everyone but the Leafs hand isn't pushed next year, this year is the big pinch.

Dermott won't have a lot of leverage next year to demand more than a bridge deal, especially if Holl and Kivi are good enough.

The Leafs should wait to see what Muzzin is asking before the Leafs start trading away their options.

My assumption being, we would know at that point what Muzzin was asking, or a deal was done. You are correct in pointing out, that making a move, without knowing that would be foolish. I had thought that as well, but failed to communicate it.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The way things are shaping up, I hope he is good enough to displace Rosen. I was wholly unimpressed with how Rosen actually defends.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Old Joke Warning

There's two other Russian players we've been looking at as well: Teeoff & Summeroff.

Thought I'd throw out something with a different degree of levity.

Teeoff Timeov is especially promising.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The late bloomer part is a potential perk.
Free development.
Better bang for the buck.
Team seems to love Rosen, so, if he becomes that....great.
Also a chance at being good future value signings, but, it’s a bit early for that.
The most interesting thing to me is the volume of good players on D who *should* be close to NHL ready by the tail end of next year.
Rosen is ready. Lili should be ready by then. Sandin could be, with some thinking he might make the team out of camp (though I don’t see *that*). Lindgren shouldn’t be too long for the Marlies with all his pro experience, same with Kivihalme. Borgman isn’t far off from being 6/7th man ready.
Add that to the existing signed D corps (Reilly, Muzzin, Dermott, Zaitsev) - before the off-season - and that’s 9-10 guys who are viable options to be NHL D by the end of next year...something could easily be brewed with that kinda depth.

Yes, there's a list of prospects as you would expect for any NHL team. As for top 4 D NHL prospects, are there any beyond Sandin & Liljegren? We've been at this game for awhile and so far the best net result seems to be Zaitsev.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
The way things are shaping up, I hope he is good enough to displace Rosen. I was wholly unimpressed with how Rosen actually defends.
Damn, that's terrible to hear. Havent watched him much so Ive been relying on stuff said in here and it's mostly been positive. Thought he was almost a sure thing for bottom pairing.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Damn, that's terrible to hear. Havent watched him much so Ive been relying on stuff said in here and it's mostly been positive. Thought he was almost a sure thing for bottom pairing.
I was hoping for more too. It looks like the speed of the game is a bit too quick for him at the NHL level.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

That said if we sign him for 3 years he's going to be a slightly better Hainsey

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I'm hoping for a 2 year deal, lower cap hit. Let the defense iron itself out.
2 years is the money shot I hope for that too. Then you can do a year by year show me you can play contract. Then if he walks its no loss plus there's the option of flipping him in year 2. If this defense show progress like it should and Dubas looks as though he's activity seeking a trade for a top tear defensemen. Safe to say at the end of year 2 like you said. He should be what drywall is to holding up a house to our defense by then.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017

I don't want to sign muzzin long term, he's almost thirty, some other team can overpay for his decline

Reactions: Kiwi

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
2 years is the money shot I hope for that too. Then you can do a year by year show me you can play contract. Then if he walks its no loss plus there's the option of flipping him in year 2. If this defense show progress like it should and Dubas looks as though he's activity seeking a trade for a top tear defensemen. Safe to say at the end of year 2 like you said. He should be what drywall is to holding up a house to our defense by then.

Not only that but we will also have a better reading on our other prospects. One hit, a stall in development and the Leafs are chasing stability on the back end again. It’s better to keep Dermott for as long as possible especially since he isn’t finished developing yet.

Reactions: Its not your fault

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
This kid is intriguing. Any chance he can see action with the big club this year? I taught he was still nashville property!!
May 2019 – 23-year-old free agent defenseman Kivihalme has signed a one-year entry level contract with the Maple Leafs. Kivihalme was originally drafted by the Predators but after not showing much progress during his NCAA years, he never received a contract offer from them and therefore his rights expired. Despite having a completely Finnish name, Kivihalme has been born and raised in USA. But his father is Finnish, and therefore Kivihalme decided to jump to Finland after his college career. It appears that was the perfect place for him because his game has developed tremendously over the past two years. Kivihalme has average size (6-0, 181) and decent offensive skills but his biggest strengths are his skating and hockey sense. He’s a very smart player who makes excellent reads and decisions with and without the puck. He’s mostly known as a puck-moving defenseman but he’s a reliable defensive player as well. He isn’t a flashy player by any means and doesn’t take unnecessary risks.
As I said previously I think he has a good chance of making the team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
As I said previously I think he has a good chance of making the team.

Yes, grew up on the small ice, played college on the small ice, got his pro experience in Europe.

He isn't a new grad nor a kid.

I'm also interested to see what Lindgren looks like with a training camp, going to be several RD trying out this September.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yes, grew up on the small ice, played college on the small ice, got his pro experience in Europe.

He isn't a new grad nor a kid.

I'm also interested to see what Lindgren looks like with a training camp, going to be several RD trying out this September.
I keep forgetting about Lindgren but kids done nothing but get better.
Camp should be a lot of fun! :nod:

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad