Confirmed with Link: The @MapleLeafs have signed defenceman Teemu Kivihalme to a one-year entry level contract.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don't think that's a given. AJ may price himself out, they may find a RHD as part of a kap deal. Who knows
There is an obvious plan A. That would include them on the team. If there gone I think it means Marleau vetoed all the trade attempts.

If there is a trade to be made for RHD, I'm pushing Nylander for Ristolainen, it makes a fair bit of sense.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is an obvious plan A. That would include them on the team. If there gone I think it means Marleau vetoed all the trade attempts.

If there is a trade to be made for RHD, I'm pushing Nylander for Ristolainen, it makes a fair bit of sense.
No way Risto is a turnover machine in his own end. He is big and tough but no brains. We don't need that kinda stupid toughness.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I'll take the defence equivalent of the Finnish Flash. A defenceman drafted by Nashville too. :DD
I love these signings .Babcock has the play his horses
the whole bottom 6 will be on entry level deals

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
His name is not Mitch Marner, and it doesn’t involve Babcock being fired. Therefore it must be bad or something. I don’t know how it works around here.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I love these signings .Babcock has the play his horses
the whole bottom 6 will be on entry level deals

I can only hope the strategy will work as it is obviously Plan A. It's go time for the coach and players like never before. Hopefully the players will be generally healthy, here, and ready for the opportunity. Would be good to hit on some of these under the radar signings to a degree as well.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nice. There will be deep crop of young D next training camp.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

That is a bad idea, Risto is a defensive train wreck

We need guys that can defend, scoring puck movers with questionable defensive games we've got

At his age, he'll want to get a chance at NHL minutes. Plus this guy is like 6 feet tall right? Pretty average.

Reading what the Finnish posters wrote about him on the prospects board looks promising

He sounds like he can pass and skate the puck out of his own zone, that's a skill I like in a defenseman and he had as many ES points as the Finnish guy signing with Detroit as well everybody was interested in

Also he was the best defenseman in the playoffs which says something about him when the games get tougher

Promising

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
That is a bad idea, Risto is a defensive train wreck

We need guys that can defend, scoring puck movers with questionable defensive games we've got

Reading what the Finnish posters wrote about him on the prospects board looks promising

He sounds like he can pass and skate the puck out of his own zone, that's a skill I like in a defenseman and he had as many ES points as the Finnish guy signing with Detroit as well everybody was interested in

Also he was the best defenseman in the playoffs which says something about him when the games get tougher

Promising

Maybe they feel they need a Finn in the system to attract Kaski. It sounded like he was Detroit bound, but not yet!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe they feel they need a Finn in the system to attract Kaski. It sounded like he was Detroit bound, but not yet!

Looking at what some of the Finnish posters were writing some of them think this guys going to be better

Apparently his ability to exit the zone and skate are strong attributes to his game and may translate well to the N/A game

Reactions: teddygmr

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
if he can get onto the Marlies roster that would be perfect with Rosen down, the Marlies are forced to ice 2 right-handed shots on the bottom pairing

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
This guy played almost 30 minutes a game in the Liiga finals. He's a sure fire top pair guy in that league at 23 years old.

Means nothing until he plays over here obviously but I like this pick up.

Reactions: cookie and teddygmr

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Leafs look to Finland for latest prospect signing
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
Leafs look to Finland for latest prospect signing

CLEVELAND — Another day, another signing by the Maple Leafs.
The newest member of the organization is Teemu Kivihalme, a left-shooting defenceman who had 30 points in 60 games this past season for Karpat in Finland’s Liiga.
The 23-year-old Kivihalme signed a one-year, entry-level deal that would will pay him US$925,000 (including a signing bonus) with the Leafs and $70,000 if he plays for the Toronto Marlies.
Kivihalme was born in Minnesota and holds dual citizenship between the United States and Finland. Originally a fifth-round pick with the Nashville Predators in 2013, Kivihalme spent three seasons at Colorado College joining Karpat for the 2018-19 season.
The six-foot, 181-pound Kivihalme had nine points in 16 playoff games this spring.
He is expected to battle for a job in training camp on a Leafs blue line that is expected to lose Jake Gardiner, Ron Hainsey and Martin Marincin to free agency.
Included among the Marlies who will be eligible for free agency this summer are veteran defencemen Vincent LoVerde and Steve Oleksy.
The addition of Kivihalme comes after the Leafs signed Russian right winger Ilya Mikheyev on Monday, and after the Leafs signed 2016 second-round pick Egor Korshkov last week.
[email protected]

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You take any skill you can and figure out the details later.

Its also a little strange to have such a negative reaction to a low dollar short term contract which could be easily buried or traded if needed.
handedness is arguably the least important trait in a player, and it's somehow the biggest area people want to focus on. Well, that and how he's apparently super undersized at 6' 185 pounds. When you get a surplus of similar players, you can move one or two of them to fill an area of weakness. The perfect player isn't going to fall into Dubas' lap for free, so I hope he's willing to take what he can get and make it work

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
handedness is arguably the least important trait in a player, and it's somehow the biggest area people want to focus on. Well, that and how he's apparently super undersized at 6' 185 pounds. When you get a surplus of similar players, you can move one or two of them to fill an area of weakness. The perfect player isn't going to fall into Dubas' lap for free, so I hope he's willing to take what he can get and make it work

If you think the LH and RH players are completely interchangable in all situations, then I don't know what to say to you. You should study Hockey.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad