Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
They might just be stuck with him at that cap hit. He's not a bad player, but at 4.75 for 2 more years I can't imagine there's a line for his services. You could buy him out, and it would free up 3.6m next year, and then 2.6m the year after, and then the extra 2 years at 1.5m. Or maybe retain 1.5 and see if you get bites at 3.25m for him.

Might have to move an asset to make it work. They are paying Hughes 7.8M for 4 more years I believe. Demko on a bargain 5M deal over that time too. So there's a very clear contending window right there which should be the priority.

The crazy part about Mikheyev is he had 23 goals & 49 points in his first 78 games as a Canuck on a torn ACL, but has been a black hole since he recovered from his injury (make it make sense).

I think Canucks fans should be very proud of their team overall. They had such a strong season from start to finish, even when many were expecting them to come down to earth (me included), they just kept trucking along. Lots of promise heading into next year.

They caught a couple tough breaks with Demko’s injury and then the news with Bieser yesterday - hope both have successful recoveries. Look on the positive side… you were able to see what you had in Silovs (amazing series) and also see what you had in your leadership. Miller was very good and lead the team with what every NHL team needs out of a leader… grit, heart, determination and accountability.

They showed a lot of resilience throughout the series and were very well coached.

Your so kind.

I was impressed with the Oilers ability to bare-down defensively on the PK (especially) & 5on5 in the tough games, very good around their crease. Their experience definitely showed the last 2 games of this series. 🤝

• Love
Reactions: zar

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Also how about a golf clap for Arturs Silovs
thought he performed really well for a 23 year old with only a handful of NHL games
Half way through the game the shots were 23-5 and it was only 2-0 Edmonton because he was standing on his head. That typical late game push from the Canucks doesn't happen without him keeping it from being like 5-0 by that point.

For context he was the biggest story for the Canucks this playoffs and he finished with a .898. Dude got shelled but kept his team in it. I do think the Oilers (again) found some weaknesses as the series went on, though.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I can never fully understand the logic of people who get upset after a series and immediately jump to the "this team I hate will get swept and beat up badly next round against that other team". Do you realize how childish you sound when you say that? It's like a kid who is upset he didn't get something, so he hopes/wishes the other kid will get hurt or be disappointed in turn. That is just pathetic.

So what you saying is.....

Dallas in 3?

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Don’t think that # is accurate

I think he was .882%. Which isn't amazing, but it outplayed Skinner by a lot. He also made a ton of goal saving cross crease saves it seemed like. As the series went on it was the point shots that seemed to be his weakness.

Reactions: zar and Nogatco Rd

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
McDavid held pointless for the 3rd time this series. 9 points in 7 games overall.

I think any team coming into a series against EDM would take that. PP really let us down.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
It does but I'd like to use his cap space to keep some players. That OEL buyout really kicks in next year.

Oof, I completely missed the OEL buyout on Capfriendly when I was looking. Yikes that one stings, especially year 2. Benning did some things right but that wasn't one of them. At least Garland came over in that trade.

Handy thing about the white towels you guys were waiving is that they can be used to remove the clown make up before you go to bed.

That was clearly sarcasm, c'mon ;)

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

OilerMcLord

Oct 9, 2003
Oilers barely beat the Canucks minus their starting goalie, their top winger, and with their franchise center having 1 goal in 13 games.

Fun series. But you're going to get smoked by Dallas, and you know it. Enjoy this while it lasts.
As long as you're not feeling any sour grapes...right?:rolleyes:

Good series, Canucks! Your future looks extremely bright!:thumbu:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Congratulations Oilers and their fans. Time for McDavid and Draisatl and the rest of the crew (Hyman and RNH etc) to get their cup and cement their legacies.

Congrats to Vancouver for getting this far ahead of their growth projection at the start of the season. Injuries and lack of scoring hurt them this round. Coaching and psychologists need to get Pettersson into that consistent high impact player that they'll be paying a lot for a long time time to come. The rest of the group looks solid. I'd love it if they could secure Boeser, Lindholm and Zadorov. I think they'll be back next year as good as ever.

Reactions: Oilhawks and zar

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Oof, I completely missed the OEL buyout on Capfriendly when I was looking. Yikes that one stings, especially year 2. Benning did some things right but that wasn't one of them. At least Garland came over in that trade.

That was clearly sarcasm, c'mon ;)

Hand me the towel.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I hopw the lesson is learned: outblock instead of outhit = out shoot /highest winning chance

Nothing more mentaly exhausting then getting almost all shots blocked in hockey. Just get the puck on net and crash the net, over and over and over again. No matter how bad the angle.
Van 8 blocked shots Oilers 21...

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Damn that PDO really regressed with perfect timing for the Oilers.
1000004743.gif

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We have more series wins in the last month than the Leafs do in the last 20 years. We know that ain't true lol
True. It’s a ridiculous statement. Not to mention our stars show up unlike the Leaf’s. Hey the Nucks stars don’t show up, if anything they are leaf’s west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad