Confirmed with Link: The @MapleLeafs have signed defenceman Teemu Kivihalme to a one-year entry level contract.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
with Rosen's injury, he could almost certainly help the Marlies right now. The only left shooting dmen they are playing are Sandin and Borgman (who I believe is injured.)

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I'm guessing we would have scouting him while watching Lindgren playing in the Liiga finals.

We are actually weak at LD depth for the Marlies next season. After Sandin, who do we have? Borgman and Rosen could very well both be in the NHL next season.

At RHD, we have: Liljegren, Hollowell, Duszak, Rasanan*, etc.

That may be true but RHDs are the toughest to find in hockey so stocking up on them should be a priority since they hold such a high trade value. Top 6 LHDs are dime a dozen.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
So instead of signing the big Liiga offensive star RHD we sign another small LHD??? I don't understand this at all.
The Marlies will have Liljegren, Hollowell, Duszak, Holl, Lindgren and Rasanen on the right side next season. Potentially Jordan Subban as well if tendered an offer. So far, they only have Sandin on the left. Now, they have added Kivihalme. Potentially Fedor Gordeev as well if tendered an offer. To balance pairings it made sense to grab a good LHD pro ready prospect. They are still likely in on Kaski, as of now he won't sign until after the World Championships and Detroit is the favorite. What if they miss on Kaski? Now they have options in house.

As a secondary option to Kaski, Chase Priskie becomes FA on August 15th. He's another RHD.
This kid is a lot better then other projects we have signed. His skating is at the NHL level and his shot is as well. Gardiner and Haisney and perhaps Zaitsev are all going to be gone. We need D man. Dermott got exposed in the playoffs this year so having more depth is a good thing. Rosen is the only D man who played in the AHL last season who could move up other then out two young D man.

I really like this signing.
Borgman is the front runner for the #7 D.

Last edited:
Reactions: teddygmr

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I would say that he is poor man's Colten Parayko. Could be a gem or a bust in NHL-level.

So poor he couldn't afford to eat I guess...180 lbs vs 230 lbs

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Presumably the Leafs' scout checking out Jesper Lindgren in the Liga playoffs spotted Kivihalme in the final series.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
well the European scouts looking at UDFA's have been pretty good for us, no home runs but only Lindholm so far has been below NHL caliber. If they think he's worth a gamble giving away 1 contract slot for 1 year, let's take that as a good thing

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I'll never understand people who like to whine and cry about signings like this.

Some just aren't happy unless they are miserable.
I agree, low risk and could be a high reward player its a no brainer to keep signing these players you never know!

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
well the European scouts looking at UDFA's have been pretty good for us, no home runs but only Lindholm so far has been below NHL caliber. If they think he's worth a gamble giving away 1 contract slot for 1 year, let's take that as a good thing
Not undrafted for what it's worth. But never a bad thing to pick someone up for free with nothing anchoring you to the player long-term.

IcePhoenix

Nov 15, 2018
Finland
I would say that he is poor man's Colten Parayko. Could be a gem or a bust in NHL-level.

So poor he couldn't afford to eat I guess...180 lbs vs 230 lbs

I meant that his playing style is close to Parayko. Of course there is notable size difference

Reactions: Eb

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not undrafted for what it's worth. But never a bad thing to pick someone up for free with nothing anchoring you to the player long-term.
ya, I just lump the non-signees in with the undrafteds I guess, I believe its the same scouts and I think they've earned some credit for finding NHL'ers from outside of the league

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Never heard of him but I like free ****

Let's give him an opportunity and see what we've got, nothing to lose in trying

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Under the radar pick up. How many roster spots do we have? Contracts?

We have 37 contracts signed for next season. 13 spots remaining

8 Pending RFA - (Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, Baptiste, Gagne, Carcone, Subban, McAdam)
9 Pending UFA - (Hutchinson, Olesky, LoVerde, Jooris, Mueller, Marincin, Hainsey, Gardiner, Ennis)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Good signing for sure, I am not sure how he is going to pan out but you still need to fill put your roster and with this cap era you need to find different avenues to fill your roster and also your minor club

These are essentially the risk free signings where you are not giving up any assets and the cost is bare minimum, you need these type (cheap) of contracts, where you are pinching for every penny (with your cap) - one day you might get lucky and might find a hidden gem - low risk kind of signings

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I don't know much about him, and apparently small injuries (not serious) are keeping him off the WC roster, I would have liked to watch him.

But he is getting mostly positive reception on the boards and from Pred fans, I am curious to see more of him.

Reactions: teddygmr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad